Run flat tyres

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Considering replacement tow car which would come on run-flat tyres. Talking to local depot of major tyre service company, I'm told that the mileage achieved on such tyres can be very low - they claim not to have changed one which had done more that 17,000 - and that some of the older tyre fitting machines can't cope with them, due to much stiffer sidewalls.

I'm a little unhappy about towing in Europe in winter without a spare, so had considered buying just a spare tyre (not wheel and tyre) such that it could be fitted locally without any delay in obtaining it. this is not sounding a particularly good idea now.

Has anyone experience of towing with run-flat tyres and what sort of mileage and ride has been acheived ?

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You say you will be towing in Europe in winter. Don't forget that winter tyres are a requirement in many countries. If your car comes with run-flat tyres, then these will undoubtedly be summer tyres, so you will need another complete set of tyres anyway.

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Hi Ray

Please remeber that tyres don't just puncture but also get cut, blow out, at any time of the day or night. If you have your caravan on the back how many miles do you think you will manage before you need help even with a puncture. These tyres are okay if you are in a big population centre but try being in the highlands of scotland and then getting told it's ok we will have a tyre for you in 4 days. Never mind bmw allways eager to help could manage one in 2 days. Just a little thought for you to bear in mind.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The same, however, could be said, for example, for an engine or electrical failure while you are in some God-forsaken part of the country, waiting for a the necessary spare part.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Maybe that has been your experience, but in over 40 years of motoring I can't say that I've had more punctures than mechanical or electrical failures.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for replies. Lutz, understand about need for winter tyres in parts of Europe, but my winter towing is to and from Spain on routes where such tyrers are generannly not needed and are certainly not complusory.

My current vehicle has a skinny spare, allegedly good for 150 miles, whereas the current Bridgestone advert for run-flat states 50 miles. Sumoe of the current "top" towcars don't have either skinny spare or run-flats - not an attractive prospect on the Zaragoza to Valencia stretch on a cold January afternoon.

one possible benefit of runflats would be to frustrate the tyre spikers who occaisionally operate in the Barcelona area.

Take the point about punctures v. mechanical / electrical problems but there is really not much the owner can do about these - tyres you can.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
My point is only that if the likelihood of a puncture is less than a mechanical or electrical failure, the only justification for a carrying a (normally) useless bit of deadweight in the form of a spare wheel around all the time is our being accustomed to it. Once car manufacturers have made us get used to the idea of doing without, they are planning to delete not only the spare wheel but even the so-called repair kits that come with some cars.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I must admit that I have never had a puncture in all the time I have been driving or riding motor bike, (Like Lutz over 40yrs )

But I can guarantee the first time I leave home without a spare, I will get one, or possibly 2, as my life just seems to go that way.

Steve W

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Lutz I take your point completly and on my truck I have no spare tyres which is not a problem as the company has a 24hr callout contract which 2 years ago on 1 Trip to Turkey I needed to use 3 times. However my car will be 4 years old this year and like you I have never touched the spare. But you can rest assured that I will even check the pressure of it before I get on the ferry, after all this will be my holiday!!

TRENDING THREADS