Sadly 😥😥😥No hope for me😥😥😥

Page 6 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
We all know there are a wide range of chargers available for EVs. To have one installed at your property isn‘t cheap. A fast super charger is expensive. However I guess the end justifies the means🤪.
But a lot of peoples homes throughout the U.K. are not wired in a charger friendly fashion. Many homes are supplied via a loop which runs round a number of neighbours homes too. This means only one of the ,say six , homes is connected directly to the grid. I understand a charger installation requires a direct connection to the grid. This may mean you have to dig up your neighbours driveways and gardens to access the grid.
I am sure the qualified sparks on here can explain this phenomenon? And the cost😉
There are standard prices for this de-looping work. With some DNO (District network operator) its free. With some, you pay a part and with some you pay the lot.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There are standard prices for this de-looping work. With some DNO (District network operator) its free. With some, you pay a part and with some you pay the lot.
I was thinking about the neighbour who paid £5k for a concrete printed driveway! Not a happy 🐰🐰

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
We have a 7kw charger-we never actually flatten our Mini battery so hard to say time wise as the car varies charging speed according to the battery temp etc but it's never been more than 4 hours which would suit Octopus go and many of the other ev tariffs. Trouble is we use quite a lot of day time eleccy as we're oil only for our heating and in a gas free village so cooker etc so I worked out at the mo it wouldn't be worth it-things may change and if I buy a quieter dishwasher we could use that-at the mo ours sounds like a traction engine having a meltdown!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
This link relates to the considerations that local authorities need to consider when looking to install charging points. It doesn’t address domestic properties but there are some valid principles.

It’s a difficult one to persuade a neighbour to have their driveway uprooted. All our services come down the side of the road in a strip marked out with linear block paving on both sides of the close. Whether this would alleviate connections remains to be seen. So far the 12 properties are a EV free zone.

https://www.westernpower.co.uk/downloads/29134

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
E7 is 7 hours off peak. E10 is 10. There are 3, 4 and 5 hour tariffs too.
Unless you are retired the E7 is a better option than the E10 as the off peak hours are spread across the day. I think off peak was from 12am until 5am, 1pm until 4pm anagain 18pm until 10pm or something like that. Ditched it when we had air source heating fitted. The daily rate was a lot higher than the standard rate although off peak a lot lower. Still averaged out more expensive than standard due to our usage during the day.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
This link relates to the considerations that local authorities need to consider when looking to install charging points. It doesn’t address domestic properties but there are some valid principles.

It’s a difficult one to persuade a neighbour to have their driveway uprooted. All our services come down the side of the road in a strip marked out with linear block paving on both sides of the close. Whether this would alleviate connections remains to be seen. So far the 12 properties are a EV free zone.

https://www.westernpower.co.uk/downloads/29134
But the Link , correct me if I am wrong, hasn’t addressed the location of the grid power source. 🤔🤔

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
But the Link , correct me if I am wrong, hasn’t addressed the location of the grid power source. 🤔🤔
Don’t really understand the question. The DNO as I understand it is responsible for connecting a user to the areas distribution network that the national grid feeds power into. The grid power source is at the start of the supply chain, be it nuclear, gas, wind etc and ends when it then feeds into a local area network. The DNO and NG will coordinate the demands from each area to ensure supply and balance. There may well be some locales where the requested installations may require the installation of more capital equipment and infrastructure.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Don’t really understand the question. The DNO as I understand it is responsible for connecting a user to the areas distribution network that the national grid feeds power into. The grid power source is at the start of the supply chain, be it nuclear, gas, wind etc and ends when it then feeds into a local area network. The DNO and NG will coordinate the demands from each area to ensure supply and balance. There may well be some locales where the requested installations may require the installation of more capital equipment and infrastructure.
Sorry? You appreciate not all houses are wired to the grid direct. They take six or so homes on a loop where only one is actually connected direct
to the mains grid.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I would think that if a single phase charger is required, this could be relatively simple. But for a 3 phase it is a lot more work and will require some digging up. As I understand it, roads are supplied with 3 phase which is then fed to houses so that the phases are shared to give an approximate balance across the phases. I imagine each installation could therefore vary considerably depending on how close the connections are.

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry? You appreciate not all houses are wired to the grid direct. They take six or so homes on a loop where only one is actually connected direct
to the mains grid.
Yes I got that in your post #121 and I did say the link did not cover domestic properties but the principles were relevant. Clearly the location of the grid power source could differ between resdential areas dependent on the age and style of the development, and also those connections required by local authorities will probably be different too.

Looked at our mains input box and can only see an input cable, nothing resembling an output to a neighbour. Would you expect looping on detached houses? The link seems to refer to terrace, or semi detached, but then says most not affected, so is it a significant issue?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Looked at our mains input box and can only see an input cable, nothing resembling an output to a neighbour. Would you expect looping on detached houses? The link seems to refer to terrace, or semi detached, but then says most not affected, so is it a significant issue?

In that case it is you that is the neighbour. Fed from a nearby house. I believe there are various methods of sharing the phases. Might depend on the thinking at the time of installation the site layout, but most importantly, the cheapest way to achieve balanced single phase to each property.

Which is also why achieving 3 phase to any one may vary in its complexity and cost.

I have read that it was fairly normal to run all phases to each property many years ago. But to only use 1. Also that the practice is now being resurrected according to this.

John

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, I will check with the neighbours circa 2025 our planned change over date. . Most websites that I have read seem to indicate that if someone wants a charging point and needs de-looping then they may be required to pay the cost. But any disturbance and cost to the neighbour is not borne by them. But the utility company do have a lawful right to make the changes to their property.

This may all lead to some interesting changes to the supply as people move to alternative heating systems too such as air source, or modern electric etc as well as EV. Perhaps the trick may be to wait until the adjacent neighbours are all EV. Both of ours have just bought new ICEs in the last few months. Darn it.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Yes I got that in your post #121 and I did say the link did not cover domestic properties but the principles were relevant. Clearly the location of the grid power source could differ between resdential areas dependent on the age and style of the development, and also those connections required by local authorities will probably be different too.

From what I read ,homes built over the last four decades, some cheap end developers to save money came up with the loop idea. The examples quoted in Saturday ‘s papers were detached. To reach the grid meant digging up the neighbours new drive. Not sure who pays for that. As John has indicated I believe looping has ceased 👏👏

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
From what I read ,homes built over the last four decades, some cheap end developers to save money came up with the loop idea. The examples quoted in Saturday ‘s papers were detached. To reach the grid meant digging up the neighbours new drive. Not sure who pays for that. As John has indicated I believe looping has ceased 👏👏
Thanks. Most web report seem to indicate that you may or may not pay your bill for delooping but any affected neighbour has no charges

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Many caravan and CL sites operate using 3 phase where the phases are divided up across the site or a phase is used to supply a small site or CL.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well if my next car is a electric or hybrid i have checked up because I am looking at having a hoist fitted in the boot to lift my wheelchair in and looking at the scheme with me been a new customer i can have a home charger if it needed .

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Thanks, I will check with the neighbours circa 2025 our planned change over date. . Most websites that I have read seem to indicate that if someone wants a charging point and needs de-looping then they may be required to pay the cost. But any disturbance and cost to the neighbour is not borne by them. But the utility company do have a lawful right to make the changes to their property.

This may all lead to some interesting changes to the supply as people move to alternative heating systems too such as air source, or modern electric etc as well as EV. Perhaps the trick may be to wait until the adjacent neighbours are all EV. Both of ours have just bought new ICEs in the last few months. Darn it.

From my days doing construction law, (1976'ish so could well have been updated since). Said that utility companies only had the right to 'trespass' on someone's land for maintenance or emergency work. It would be interesting to see if it did bring up any problems. As mentioned earlier. Even the best neighbour would object to having their expensive drive disturbed and scared.

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Last summer our Town was extensively dug up as Gigaclear laid new fibre optic cables for high speed internet connection. No takers so far👏👏👏.
But?? Why didn’t they lay extra cables for fast EV chargers🤔🤔🤔Absolutely no afore thought for Future Government Policy🤬🤬

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Last summer our Town was extensively dug up as Gigaclear laid new fibre optic cables for high speed internet connection. No takers so far👏👏👏.
But?? Why didn’t they lay extra cables for fast EV chargers🤔🤔🤔Absolutely no afore thought for Future Government Policy🤬🤬
A couple of years ago in Stourport they dug up one of the main roads into teh town to do some work with cables. About a month after they had finished, Severn Trent came along and dug up virtually the same stretch of road that had just been resurfaced.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
That drives me nuts-in my little world if I became Pm I'd fine utilities every day they'd dug a hole but weren't working on whatever the job, and they'd have to resurface the full section of road they'd dug up-right across for so many yards each side. In fact I'd fine anyone having to work on or repair a road for any day work wasn't proceeding. I hate driving down motorways in average speed camera zones to see diddly squat occurring. Rant over sorry.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
That drives me nuts-in my little world if I became Pm I'd fine utilities every day they'd dug a hole but weren't working on whatever the job, and they'd have to resurface the full section of road they'd dug up-right across for so many yards each side. In fact I'd fine anyone having to work on or repair a road for any day work wasn't proceeding. I hate driving down motorways in average speed camera zones to see diddly squat occurring. Rant over sorry.
At least utilities are banned from using motorways to lay pipes and cables underneath!

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Whilst it would be great if utilities did communicate with each other to coordinate work (and it does happen, but rarely) I find it very hard to imagine that the dig for new fibre would have been useful for a future program to install new electrical capacity. Gigaclear is an overlay build (all new infrastructure, not replacing anything), but electricity upgrades are fundamentally tied to the existing services.

TRENDING THREADS