Sadly πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯No hope for meπŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
True but mr teslas has over the air software updates and in terms of service just brake fluid check every two years change at four and Aircon change at six years. Not having a service does not affect warranty in any way as he's hones and says there is nothing to do unlike the trad ice makers who need to keep their service bays paid for and so charge silly prices to do nothing.. And he has mobile repairers who zoom around the country to fix more serious issues.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Daughters new Toyota Corolla hybrid is going to be delivered early on 7 January instead of end January. Good news for her, but I better now crack on and finish the light touching up of the Ford Focus before she contacts one of the car buying agencies. Quotes are still going up week by week. She may be losing out by Toyota delivering early :)

Reactions: JezzerB and Tobes
Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Today’s DT is telling me how wonderful the new MB EQS is. What a joke it costs Β£98000. And if I want a rival I can choose a Tesla S Β£74 k or a Porsche Taycan from Β£84k or an Audi E-tron GT RS fromΒ£111k.
Give me strength🀬🀬🀬🀬
I've got 6 MB EQS cars and more money than you !

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Anyone with or thinking about buying an EV and home charger be warned. EVHS (Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme) which currently reduces your installation cost by 75% , to a max of Β£350 comes to an end on 31st March 2022.
Get your orders in nowπŸ‘πŸ‘

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Anyone with or thinking about buying an EV and home charger be warned. EVHS (Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme) which currently reduces your installation cost by 75% , to a max of Β£350 comes to an end on 31st March 2022.

I wonder if installation is possible in preparation for a future EV purchase, perhaps in 10-15 years.

John

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Almost all approved installers have full order books so the chances of getting a subsidised installation now are close to zero.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
It wasn't ever a max of Β£350 it was Β£350 off the price of a charger install-so ours was Β£550 I think of the top of my head. AS Tobes says you have to prove purchase of an EV or order of one to qualify. The contribution toward a n EV has already dropped causing a lot of consternation as dealers were dilitary and didn't apply on order! However there is a school of thought that the grant keeps prices of EV and charger artificially high-time will tell!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It wasn't ever a max of Β£350 it was Β£350 off the price of a charger install-so ours was Β£550 I think of the top of my head. AS Tobes says you have to prove purchase of an EV or order of one to qualify. The contribution toward a n EV has already dropped causing a lot of consternation as dealers were dilitary and didn't apply on order! However there is a school of thought that the grant keeps prices of EV and charger artificially high-time will tell!
There was an outcry when the feed in tariff on solar panels was reduced. The industry forecast job losses, bankruptcy etc. In actual fact the reverse happened and the prices reduced. It’s the same with wind turbines where subsidies were used to prime and encourage the industry. But bid prices for new installation have fallen remarkably even as subsidies have reduced.

. So now that the progress towards HEV and BEV has gone beyond a critical mass it’s only right that subsidies should come down. After all it’s taxpayers money being used. The car industry are now making very good progress in the field of electric vehicles, and I’m certain that in real terms prices of vehicles will reduce as production rates ramp up.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
There’s a touch of irony when you see billions wasted , track and trace etc, yet trying to be β€œgreen β€œ the discounts gets bumped soon.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I check to see if i can order a home charger looking to change my car in 2023 for a Hybrid .
You will not get a grant until a vehicle is on order.

My grandson took delivery of a new BMW 330 X drive hybrid yesterday. But six months ago he had to sell the house because he split with his partner. The landlord of his present place will not agree to a charger even though our grandson will pay everything and has another 18 months on his lease. Seems short sighted to me.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I check to see if i can order a home charger looking to change my car in 2023 for a Hybrid .
Hybrids don’t need a charger. They are fuelled by petrol or diesel. Plug-in hybrids and Full EVs need charging. Plug in hybrids can generally be charged via the granny lead.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Granny lead being a slow charger that operates from a 3 pin std UK plug and socket, for those new to EVs. But no Beachball you can order and buy one but you won't get a grant; I'd wait I think prices will fall as the law every new house has to have one takes it's effect.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Do you actually need a charger for a hybrid. With most having a range of 30 miles or so, I would have thought a mains socket would be enough for most people?

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Do you actually need a charger for a hybrid. With most having a range of 30 miles or so, I would have thought a mains socket would be enough for most people?
Plug-in hybrid. Not hybrid. For a plug-in hybrid, a 3 pin socket may be enough, but it depends on the car and what you want to do with it. A grant lead can deliver 2.3kW , so over night you can charge around 23kWh of battery (10 hours). In a PHEV that may be good for 60 miles. If you want to use a cheap tariff (4 or 5 hours) and have a smaller battery (mine has 11kwh with about 8-9 usable) then a granny lead is fine. If you want to charge a bigger battery is less time (too fit your tariff) maybe you need a charger. Some PHEV can only charge at 3.6kW max (like mine), others at 7.2kW.
It’s an β€œit depends β€œ kind of a question and answer.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Plug-in hybrid. Not hybrid. For a plug-in hybrid, a 3 pin socket may be enough, but it depends on the car and what you want to do with it. A grant lead can deliver 2.3kW , so over night you can charge around 23kWh of battery (10 hours). In a PHEV that may be good for 60 miles. If you want to use a cheap tariff (4 or 5 hours) and have a smaller battery (mine has 11kwh with about 8-9 usable) then a granny lead is fine. If you want to charge a bigger battery is less time (too fit your tariff) maybe you need a charger. Some PHEV can only charge at 3.6kW max (like mine), others at 7.2kW.
It’s an β€œit depends β€œ kind of a question and answer.

Initially we had E7 tariff, then E10 due to us have air source heating however as heating was turned down at night so consumption was low we switched to standard rate and found that our electric bill actually dropped.
I think it was because with the E7 and E10 the peak rates were higher. Taking it on average between cost of peak and cost of off peak was higher than the standard rate.
However if charging an EV I would guess that E7 is the preferred rate?

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Initially we had E7 tariff, then E10 due to us have air source heating however as heating was turned down at night so consumption was low we switched to standard rate and found that our electric bill actually dropped.
I think it was because with the E7 and E10 the peak rates were higher. Taking it on average between cost of peak and cost of off peak was higher than the standard rate.
However if charging an EV I would guess that E7 is the preferred rate?
Again - it depends what you want to achieve. The shorter the low rate window, the lower the cost. If you need to charge a lot every day , maybe a longer window works better. I have a 4 hour window which is enough to fill about 40-50% of my car. Thats 100 miles range, more than I use a day on average, so is fine for me.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Again - it depends what you want to achieve. The shorter the low rate window, the lower the cost. If you need to charge a lot every day , maybe a longer window works better. I have a 4 hour window which is enough to fill about 40-50% of my car. Thats 100 miles range, more than I use a day on average, so is fine for me.

As a matter of interest how long would it take to recharge the EV if it was really low? I think the E7 off peak may only be 6 hours?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We all know there are a wide range of chargers available for EVs. To have one installed at your property isnβ€˜t cheap. A fast super charger is expensive. However I guess the end justifies the meansπŸ€ͺ.
But a lot of peoples homes throughout the U.K. are not wired in a charger friendly fashion. Many homes are supplied via a loop which runs round a number of neighbours homes too. This means only one of the ,say six , homes is connected directly to the grid. I understand a charger installation requires a direct connection to the grid. This may mean you have to dig up your neighbours driveways and gardens to access the grid.
I am sure the qualified sparks on here can explain this phenomenon? And the costπŸ˜‰

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We all know there are a wide range of chargers available for EVs. To have one installed at your property isnβ€˜t cheap. A fast super charger is expensive. However I guess the end justifies the meansπŸ€ͺ.
But a lot of peoples homes throughout the U.K. are not wired in a charger friendly fashion. Many homes are supplied via a loop which runs round a number of neighbours homes too. This means only one of the ,say six , homes is connected directly to the grid. I understand a charger installation requires a direct connection to the grid. This may mean you have to dig up your neighbours driveways and gardens to access the grid.
I am sure the qualified sparks on here can explain this phenomenon? And the costπŸ˜‰
I think I would get a Honda generator then. πŸ˜‚

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think I would get a Honda generator then. πŸ˜‚

• Haha
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
As a matter of interest how long would it take to recharge the EV if it was really low? I think the E7 off peak may only be 6 hours?
E7 is 7 hours off peak. E10 is 10. There are 3, 4 and 5 hour tariffs too.
The answer is still "it depends". How big is your battery and fast is your charger. The fastest "regular" home charger is 7.2kW. My car has a 75kWh usable battery, so an empty to full charge is around 10 hours. For me - I have done that once (about 15 to 100) overnight in the time I have owned it.

Othercars have batteries that range from ~24kWh to 100kWh depending on the size and age of the car. I would say 50 to 80 usable is about the "normal" range for new cars today.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts