Sadly 😥😥😥No hope for me😥😥😥

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Also - is she aware that BIK is based on list price, but BIK rate (percentage) is based on emissions. In tax year 22/23 Kia Niro Hybrid = 29%. Kia Nero PHEV = 12%, Kia Nero EV = 2%.

Kia NiroListBIK rateTaxable value
Hybrid£29,60029%£8,584
PHEV£31,94512%£3,833
EV£39,1452%£790

It's simply undeniable that for a company car driver the cost of a pure petrol is higher than PHEV is higher than EV.
Yes, she’s quite bright, but choice isn’t solely on hard cash.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Regarding the video as from 1st Oct there is going to be a minimum of a 45% increase in the cost of a kw of electric so it will make charging an EV even more expensive especially if charging away from home.
There is a ruling that unless you have a supplier's licence you cannot charge more than what you are paying per kw.
This will make it awkward for camping sites that want to install fast charge bollards for charging as they cannot recoup the cost of installing the bollard and it would be unfair to pass on the cost to others who do not have an EV. What about those that will simply plug the vehicle into the caravan to evade the cost of charging at the bollard? Eventually that cost will probaly be passed onto those without EVs?

45% increase in cost of electricity - where did you hear that?

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
I am afraid that approaching 75 leasing is not for me as if anything goes wrong and I have to stop driving that car would be expensive to give back and anyway the lease is normally on far lower mileages than I would need.
I do wonder about the cost figures anyway. The cost depends a lot on how you use the car, how and where you drive and fuel costs in your area. I assume hat it did not actor in the availability of free charging that we have at the moment which would make a difference.
I always take these things with a pinch of salt as they are based on some theoretical person and not you.
I agree Ray, that everyone will have their own position. The idea that you may need to stop driving and hand the car back is clearly something to consider, but looking at lease early redemption costs might be a useful option, especially of you are looking at getting a new car with capital, as the loss on the depreciation in a short term might be just as bad or worse.
EVMs costs were based purely on getting hold of the vehicle, and did not include the economy of petrol vs electricity, VED, servicing. Depending on your mileage, there are other (potentially large) savings to be made there too.
The key take away for me is for anyone who is considering changing their car - don't write off EVs as too expensive or unusable, just because the telegraph is dumb enough to suggest people spend £100k on any car - let alone an EV!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Regarding the video as from 1st Oct there is going to be a minimum of a 45% increase in the cost of a kw of electric so it will make charging an EV even more expensive especially if charging away from home.
There is a ruling that unless you have a supplier's licence you cannot charge more than what you are paying per kw.
This will make it awkward for camping sites that want to install fast charge bollards for charging as they cannot recoup the cost of installing the bollard and it would be unfair to pass on the cost to others who do not have an EV. What about those that will simply plug the vehicle into the caravan to evade the cost of charging at the bollard? Eventually that cost will probaly be passed onto those without EVs?
Didn’t I read somewhere that CMHC are putting £8 on the nightly pitch fee if you charge the car via the EHU-caravan system?
Do they check regularly and adjust the feesvas there will be times when the EV doesn’t require charging.

PS edit. https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/blog/towing-with-a-tesla/

Last edited:
Reactions: Tobes
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Have to taken into consideration that impact of the cost of electric increase from 1st Oct? Sorry no matter how I look at it, petrol or hydrid is still the cheaper option when you take into consideration the cost of buying or leasing the petrol vehicle and the cost of buying or leasing the EV. I appreciate that you think the EV is the better option as you own one, but to us it is not an option however a hydrid is an option.
What 45% cost increase in electricity? - but feel free to at 45% to the costs. its still way lower than petrol! But you did say PHEV is an option right? Which is undeniably lower cost for the same car. And are you _sure_ EV is not an option? Did she ask? Most companies are trying to use EV for their fleet, because they save money on fuel and tax (the company gets a tax break too).

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Check it out. If you are in contract the increase should not affect you. Unfortunately for us we are caught in the new increase from 1st Oct as our suplier went into Admin and taken over by EDF.
Very glad we have a fixed price gas and electric tariff with British Gas until mid 2023. I took it out around six months ago. The tea leaves were correct. Hopefully when renewal time comes the global economy may have stabilised.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Didn’t I read somewhere that CMHC are putting £8 on the nightly pitch fee if you charge the car via the EHU-caravan system?
It's already in place. £2 per night to charge a PHEV. £8 to charge a full BEV. Must be charged via the caravan.

That is for the resale of electricity. Not for providing a service of charging a car. If you install a dedicated car charger, you can charge what you like.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Check it out. If you are in contract the increase should not affect you. Unfortunately for us we are caught in the new increase from 1st Oct as our suplier went into Admin and taken over by EDF.
That is the increase in the price cap for standard rate tariffs, not an increase in the cost of electricity. The are totally different things. Yes the actual cost is going up due to a bunch of reasons, but not by 45%. if you continue to shop around, you can keep your price in check by much much lower than 45%.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It's already in place. £2 per night to charge a PHEV. £8 to charge a full BEV. Must be charged via the caravan.

That is for the resale of electricity. Not for providing a service of charging a car. If you install a dedicated car charger, you can charge what you like.
Thanks I had inserted the link to the CMHC magazine article in #31

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Do they check regularly and adjust the feesvas there will be times when the EV doesn’t require charging.

PS edit. https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/blog/towing-with-a-tesla/
Thanks for that link to the Blog entry. (y) An interesting read. I get over 100 miles from my Polestar 2 towing a considerably larger van (Bailey Unicorn S3 Vigo MTPLM 1550).

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Ok - I must have misread what you said...

:unsure:
Seeing your final emoji as “ puzzled” what you don’t have is sight of the leasing agency overall packages available and how there were some marked variations probably based on what models were available and others with waiting times. Her 2014 Focus with its twice rebuilt powershift gearbox costs her a monthly warranty and of course shes responsible for all costs, although she does receive a high mileage rate up to the first 3500 miles. Her priority is to have a reliable vehicle prior to her starting 8 months of longer journeys at unsocial hours. So as I said above hard cost isn’t necessarily her prime discriminator. She can sell the Focus earlier and save the warranty and other costs earlier too.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
That's the wholesale cost of gas, which won't increase at the same percentage to consumers because of all the other supply costs - and has much less effect on the cost of electricity as the UK has a high renewable % in it's supply.

Any increase between your old supplier and EDF is co-incidental.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Seeing your final emoji as “ puzzled” what you don’t have is sight of the leasing agency overall packages available and how there were some marked variations probably based on what models were available and others with waiting times. Her 2014 Focus with its twice rebuilt powershift gearbox costs her a monthly warranty and of course shes responsible for all costs, although she does receive a high mileage rate up to the first 3500 miles. Her priority is to have a reliable vehicle prior to her starting 8 months of longer journeys at unsocial hours. So as I said above hard cost isn’t necessarily her prime discriminator. She can sell the Focus earlier and save the warranty and other costs earlier too.
Fair enough - I was puzzled, as the cost differential between Hybrid and PHEV is not insignificant, and even larger for EV, all other tings being equal, which in this case they are not. For your daughter, its a shame the timings don't work out.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fair enough - I was puzzled, as the cost differential between Hybrid and PHEV is not insignificant, and even larger for EV, all other tings being equal, which in this case they are not. For your daughter, its a shame the timings don't work out.
It’s only a three year lease but she doesn’t see herself going back to owning her own car, assuming of course her role in the community nursing doesn’t change. But even then she would probably seriously consider a private lease as her son has, but his is ICE with another year to run.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
It’s only a three year lease but she doesn’t see herself going back to owning her own car, assuming of course her role in the community nursing doesn’t change. But even then she would probably seriously consider a private lease as her son has, but his is ICE with another year to run.
I was talking to a community nurse while parked on a charger in Scarborough 2 months ago. She was telling me how having an EV was a revelation for her. I think it was a salary sacrifice lease, and the mileage she is able to claim covered the lease cost, so the car was essentially free! She was from the Northumbria area, but the rules for NHS staff and leases seem to vary around the country. My sister-in-law is a practice nurse in Northamptonshire and is considering a lease for her next car as an EV.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I was talking to a community nurse while parked on a charger in Scarborough 2 months ago. She was telling me how having an EV was a revelation for her. I think it was a salary sacrifice lease, and the mileage she is able to claim covered the lease cost, so the car was essentially free! She was from the Northumbria area, but the rules for NHS staff and leases seem to vary around the country. My sister-in-law is a practice nurse in Northamptonshire and is considering a lease for her next car as an EV.
Yes in our area the NHS Trust and the Mental Health Trust have different T&C. My daughter will only be able to claim 9 pence per mile for on business mileage. But her lease cost will be deducted monthly from salary and her only other costs will be insurance and incidentals such as screen wash. Her trust only had one significant criterion that the emissions must be below 120 and it must be a hybrid. But that would include mild hybrids like the Fiesta/Focus which pay lip service to improved economy and lower emissions.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Here’s an inserting glimpse of the trend to electrified cars. It’s accelerating month by month.

View attachment 2259
Very interesting. I wouldn't pay much credence to the location stats though. All Polestars sold are registered in Oxford no matter where they are homed (although the numbers are very low). I think Tesla have a similar model of sale?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Interesting that the EV is far more expensive to run over the course of 3 years than the equivalent petrol version? As they are lease cars servicing etc is all factor into the cost of the lease. Puts you right off purchasing an EV if you are on a tight budget.
If you watched the video you will see that EVM specifically states this was NOT about running costs it was about the cost of purchasing or leasing Now. The difference varied from model to model and some EV's were actually cheaper on PCP.

He later makes a casual remark that there is no doubt that EV's are cheaper to run.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
No they cannot as there is no exemption in place as yet however there is legislation in place to prevent owners charging more per kw than the price that they paid. Check it out on the Ofgem site. However the owner of the bollard can charge for the use of the bollard i.e. £5 and then i.e. £0.20 per kw if that is the price that they paid for the kw.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you watched the video you will see that EVM specifically states this was NOT about running costs it was about the cost of purchasing or leasing Now. The difference varied from model to model and some EV's were actually cheaper on PCP.

He later makes a casual remark that there is no doubt that EV's are cheaper to run.
I was referring to leasing and not buying as buying one is expensive to run taking in to account a period over 3 years.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Very interesting. I wouldn't pay much credence to the location stats though. All Polestars sold are registered in Oxford no matter where they are homed (although the numbers are very low). I think Tesla have a similar model of sale?
I thought it might be students trading in their bicycles for EVs.

• Haha

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts