safety

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
last weekend 27th. feb. started our long awaited break from central scotland down to spend 4 days on a cl in the cotswolds near to my 2 sons then our plan was 7 days in devon and 4 days in cheshire. While setting up on day 1 everything was ready looking forward to seeing the 2 lads and having a few beers with them and their ladies went out to the car to get something and when getting back into caravan the step tilted and I ended in a heap on the ground injuring my leg and breaking my arm, end of holiday on day 1 ended up staying with 1 son for 3 days and the other had to drive my car and caravan home to scotland and fly back home. This is not a call for sympathy just a warning to all to make sure you secure your step properly right away and any other thing that may cause injury.I was lucky that I was so near to my sons who rallied round and got me to hospital and looked after me and my dear lady who has altzheimers.be warned and be safe

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Will

sorry to hear about your ruined holiday, its good that after looking after kids for years they can return the favour,

I work offshore and the biggest cause of accidents there are slips,trips and falls, other possible risks when caravaning would be back strain, anyway i hope you make a speedy recovery.

Rab

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi Will

I am always worried about the step moving so i drilled holes in the bottom members and peg it into the ground so it doesnt move. I also cut a carpet tile and glued it to the steps so they are not slippy when wet. Stay safe

Graham

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Will.

Sorry to hear of your accident and I hope your on the mend.

Going back a few weeks I had a simlar experience with an aluminium double step made by a popular firm M*****co. The tubular frame had cracked and finally given up the ghost when I stepped out of the van. Fortunately for me I managed a pirouette and five point landing on my butt and got just a few bruises.

I contacted the comany via E-mail and sent several photo's of the product showing the stress cracking and missing rivets that had failed.

All I got was if I returned the step on a carrier at my expence they would look at it and might repair or replace it. I asked if they could arrange for their courier to collect the step from the original caravan dealership from where I purchased it as they were close to me. Plus I didin't see why I should foot the bill for carriage as the photo evidence was quite conclusive that a manufacturing process failure was apparent. I even pointed out thta in a past occupation I undertook prototype design and construction for Lotus car chassis and I am a quallified engineer with process technician qualifications as well. Basically I used to make the prototypes and implement the most cost effective build for products within ISO 9002 quality build standards, so as such I am quite able to define error and corrective actions to produce a better product.

However, I got the cold shoulder and would still have to fork out

Mar 24, 2009
Visit site
Will, probably an import from the other side of the world.

Having watched "Fake Britain" all this week on BBC1 I'm amazed the steps people will take to deceive, rob, defraud and rip off honest hard working people in this fine country of ours.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts