Sandbach services

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Victor Meldrew returns ‘I don’t believe it’!
Followed the inconsistent signs to coach and caravan parking (northbound). Got stuck in the narrow entrance to this section while a coach did a many point turn to negotiate a works van and the narrow exit from the little triangle of tarmac purporting to be correct area. As no spaces are drive though both coaches and caravans either reverse in or out of a limited number of slots so I drove forward into a space - fortunately the only other coach had left after we drank our takeout coffees and then reversed back so we too could negotiate the exit between the raised kerb and the much dented barrier. What a disgrace!

• Sad
Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Think I would have used HGV area as coach drivers don’t have much flexibility especially if there are passenger transfers required.

Feb 23, 2018
Visit site
Not always possible, but if a set route is planned while towing, I always check satellite and street views of services I plan to stop at. Some are really not suitable for stopping with a caravan, and some you're better off heading straight to the HGV area. Welcome Break Corley on M6 for example, both north & south has no dedicated caravan area. But North has a nice new overflow HGV area which is yet to smell of you-know-what.

My worst experience was at Welcome Break Sedgemoor North [South side is Roadchef and much better] on the M5 during a very hot bank holiday weekend, the caravan area also being used for car overflow. I was blocked from pulling out the centre bays by a van towing a boat parked in a single car bay round the perimeter. Some judicious manoeuvring with passenger assistance on the phone was needed. Should have held on for Gloucester.

Jun 10, 2024
Visit site
We e only done one stop at services. Wetherby and it was perfect. Shown to a space as it was busy but one just leaving as we turned up. Drive through space otherwise we could have used HGV area. Wetherby also has dedicated dog walk.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I had checked on Street View and close up on maps and it did look like the rear barriers had been removed to allow either units or coaches to drive through the spaces, but ov course turned out not to be the case. In general I avoid any services while towing and this just underlined my reasoning!

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts