Sandy Balls

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

We are off to Sandy Balls in a couple of weeks, any recommendations for things to see or do, nice pubs to eat etc. would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hello Valerie.

Here are one or two thoughts for your consideration - whatever you do, I hope that you enjoy it but don't tell anyone else about it, especially the pubs, I don't want it to get too crowded.

Olly.

Pubs to Visit

About seven miles away from the caravan site in the village of Fritham, there is a quaint old pub called The Royal Oak with beer directly from the cask and enjoyable bar snacks.

( 50.926113, -1.670984 )

About six miles away on the road towards Salisbury is the village of Downton, where there is an even nicer pub called The White Horse Inn. There, muddy boots and wet dogs are made welcome and the beer and food is very enjoyable.

( 50.992832, -1.751601 ) http://www.thewhitehorseinn.co.uk/

In Ringwood, seven miles to the south, you've got two supermarkets and three decent pubs. Overlooking the big car park is the Inn on the Furlong ( 50.847004, -1.792263 ) which has just been given a face-lift and is a good place for a pint of the beer brewed in the town. Try a pint of Thumper ( but persuade someone else to drive )..! They do food but I haven't eaten there since it changed hands so don't know about the quality.

A short walk away in the Market Place is The Star Inn ( 50.846719, -1.794323 ), which again is a pleasant place for a pint but a somewhat variable bar snack - try the back bar.

On the outskirts of the town is perhaps the best place for a meal and that is at The Elm Tree ( 50.843007, -1.769821 ) where the beer is quite good and the food is generally very good. The Elm Tree can also be accessed directly from The Forest on the way back to Sandy Balls so is a good place for an early-evening meal.

Things to Do.

There are the obvious attractions of walking or cycling in the New Forest or visiting .

Stone Henge ( 22 miles ), ( 51.180204, -1.828623 ), via

Salisbury Cathedral ( 11 miles ), ( 51.064904, -1.797413 ) or

Gold Hill at Shaftesbury where the original Hovis Commercial was filmed ( 24 miles ), ( 51.005806, -2.197207 ), via

The caf

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hello Valerie.

Here are one or two thoughts for your consideration - whatever you do, I hope that you enjoy it but don't tell anyone else about it, especially the pubs, I don't want it to get too crowded.

Olly.

Pubs to Visit

About seven miles away from the caravan site in the village of Fritham, there is a quaint old pub called The Royal Oak with beer directly from the cask and enjoyable bar snacks.

( 50.926113, -1.670984 )

About six miles away on the road towards Salisbury is the village of Downton, where there is an even nicer pub called The White Horse Inn. There, muddy boots and wet dogs are made welcome and the beer and food is very enjoyable.

( 50.992832, -1.751601 ) http://www.thewhitehorseinn.co.uk/

In Ringwood, seven miles to the south, you've got two supermarkets and three decent pubs. Overlooking the big car park is the Inn on the Furlong ( 50.847004, -1.792263 ) which has just been given a face-lift and is a good place for a pint of the beer brewed in the town. Try a pint of Thumper ( but persuade someone else to drive )..! They do food but I haven't eaten there since it changed hands so don't know about the quality.

A short walk away in the Market Place is The Star Inn ( 50.846719, -1.794323 ), which again is a pleasant place for a pint but a somewhat variable bar snack - try the back bar.

On the outskirts of the town is perhaps the best place for a meal and that is at The Elm Tree ( 50.843007, -1.769821 ) where the beer is quite good and the food is generally very good. The Elm Tree can also be accessed directly from The Forest on the way back to Sandy Balls so is a good place for an early-evening meal.

Things to Do.

There are the obvious attractions of walking or cycling in the New Forest or visiting .

Stone Henge ( 22 miles ), ( 51.180204, -1.828623 ), via

Salisbury Cathedral ( 11 miles ), ( 51.064904, -1.797413 ) or

Gold Hill at Shaftesbury where the original Hovis Commercial was filmed ( 24 miles ), ( 51.005806, -2.197207 ), via

The caf

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
we use sandy balls regularly.nice pub called "thefighting cocks" on the edge of the forest & only a short walk out the back of the campsite.if you find th s/block @ the top of four acres there is a small path that takes you you onto the the main road(about 400yds,you will need a torch) ,do a left & its about 200 yds up theroad.ps were of there 23/11 also nice butchers in lyndhurst but closed on mondays any more help you need text up & will check for you

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
Was down there last week go down there a couple of times a year.Two pubs mentioned, the Fighting Cocks and the Royal Oak at Fritham are on my must visit list, the first does superb evening meals ,the Royal Oak can be reached on a 5 mile bike ride across Hampton Ridge and they do ploughmans lunches to die for...just dont have too much for breakfast! Both pubs to a good range of beers, the Royal Oak does it straight out of the barrel. Also the Royal Oak at North Gorley is a pleasant watering hole.

We dont usually go too far from the site, its just nice to get there and chill out.

Will be back for new year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts