Santander-Murcia via Madrid

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
We are planning to make this journey in January - sunbject to the weather!
recommendations on sites en route would be apprecaited.
We are looking to arrive Murcia on day 2.
Thanks

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com
I have not travelled from Santander but have done the route from the French border at Hendaye although not in winter.
Sites along the way will be a bit thin on the ground but there is a good night halt at La Cabrera, Picos de la Miel 60 km north of Madrid, open all year and in the ACSI book. Further south we, a bit against our better judgement have stopped the night twice with the trucks at Honrubia (exit 168) without problems. If you do plan to stay on a service area dont go any further south than J168 as the newer motorway A31 has limited parking.
You can avoid Madrid traffic by using the M50 (towards the airport) it only adds about 10 miles and is much easier.
Regards David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As an alternative, avoid Madrid and go via Zaragoza with overnight at Zaragoza or Calatayud (Sabinan) then to Valencia, then south to Murcia region. Depending on how far you want to go the first day, then either of the zaragoza area sites, of Navajas or Moncofa near the coast just north of Valencia
If using Sabinan, a bit of map reading will get you there without actually going to Zaragoza.
I've used both routes to get to the Mojacar area south of Murcia and manage it with two overnight stops from St Malo, so you should be Ok with two from your ferry port.

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
We travel from Bilbao on 4th Jan , it will be 6pm when we leave , so we will try for La Cabrera but may keep going and get around Madrid and stop on services already recommended, the site in Aranjues is closed from 31/12 until 12/1

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
kev m said:
We travel from Bilbao on 4th Jan , it will be 6pm when we leave , so we will try for La Cabrera but may keep going and get around Madrid and stop on services already recommended, the site in Aranjues is closed from 31/12 until 12/1

Leaving Bilbao at 6pm, and even making good time and not taking any breaks, you won't reach La Cabrera before 10pm. If you don't mind sleeping on filling station car parks, there's a good one I've used at KM150 on the A1. It's a big piece of ground behind the filling station with a cafeteria alongside.

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks to Parksy, I am now able to thank the correspondents to this thread.
We now have some ideas that we was not aware of before.
Thank you all and thanks again Parksy.
Regards
Barry

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts