satellite or not

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
having tried the van this week I was disappointed at the tv reception. Forgive me but I'm not a big tv fan, just have a thing about the news - like to watch channel 4 news at 7!

Thing is we were at a really lovely site in Devon with limitless horizon over the coast but the tv reception was awful. I played with the gain on the amplifier on the aerial supplied with the (new) van. When the gain was turned up I could get nothing. I turned the gain all the way down and got 4 terrestial channels (albeit really poor quality).

Now do I change the aerial/amp or do I go for a dish etc? As I say I only want to watch the news although swmbo will also want to watch Corrieorry ;-(

your advice appreciated - although not on my taste in tv :)

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Graham, thats a hard one realy. We got sky for the van but use it quite infrequent, as we mainly now stay on cc sites which have an aerial socket built into the ehu bollard.

I think this may become more common as the "normal" tv gets switched to Digital.

Sat is proberbly the way to go but a bit expensive if the sites are going to supply a good recepion

not much help realy!!

Kevin

Jan 12, 2007
Visit site
hi graham

i assume that you are using the roof top "dish" antenna

if you are i would recomend that you get yourself a mast that clamps to the "a"frame and a proper tv antenna,you will find it a far better set up when watching tv

i paid

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
As you say "new" van are we to assume it is fitted with the Status 530 directional aerial? If its the omni directional round one then its often going to be struggling and changing to a directional one either as a replacement or a free standing one would be a wise move.

However if its the Status directional one then its a very good aerial and we need to find why yours is not working. It is very strange that you say it worked better with the gain turned down as this is normally means there is far too much signal. It is not unknown for the assembler not to "wire-up" the coax plugs correctly. This is easy to check by peeking into the coax plugs; what your looking for is a stray screen wire strand shorting out the signal.

If it is a new van then the vans guarantee ought to cover the aerial.

I have both Freeview and FreeSat [Satellite], certainly the terrestrial via Status's directional aerial is by far less hassle that using the satellite where there is a signal. However a terrestial signal is not always viable but a satellite one is provided where you are pitched has a view of the satellite.ie no trees etc in the way.

Unless having TV is essential [like watching the GP in my case] then I prefer terrestrial hands down because is less hassle less kit to carry, but it can frequently let you down in rural hilly areas.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Graham ,

daft question but are the cables plugged in correctly. I had brand new Lunar and they had put the cables in the wrong way round.

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
We have a Status 530 and are rarely unable to get a picture. We do have satellite but don't bother to take it as it is too much hassle and takes up space.If we cannot get a picture then we are in a place that has great scenery and we don't want the TV on anyway.

I think your setup is wrong. I agree that the cables have probably been connected incorrectly.Ours were!

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
We have a Status 530 and are rarely unable to get a picture. We do have satellite but don't bother to take it as it is too much hassle and takes up space.If we cannot get a picture then we are in a place that has great scenery and we don't want the TV on anyway.

I think your setup is wrong. I agree that the cables have probably been connected incorrectly.Ours were!
Thanks for all your help.

Aerial on the van is not directional. Looked at the connections to the amp and they are correct but didn't undo to see if shorted etc.

I fig the choice is either change to directional aerial on roof (cost unknown as yet)or

Masthead aerial on the a frame or sat tv.

I looked at the 'system in a box' at Maplin; any good? seems relatively simple to use and don't anticipate using it that often - may go to France in the summer and can use it there for news etc.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all your help.

Aerial on the van is not directional. Looked at the connections to the amp and they are correct but didn't undo to see if shorted etc.

I fig the choice is either change to directional aerial on roof (cost unknown as yet)or

Masthead aerial on the a frame or sat tv.

I looked at the 'system in a box' at Maplin; any good? seems relatively simple to use and don't anticipate using it that often - may go to France in the summer and can use it there for news etc.

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
We have the system in a box from maplin although we do use our sky box with it instead of the freesat box. We wouldn't be without it as we have a 6yr old who is up a 7am and it entertains him so we can get an hour or 2 more in bed. I also like to watch the soaps and hate when the reception is poor so sat tv is ur answer but you may be able to make up your own system if purchased seperately on e-bay as done on PC mag a few months ago.

Karen

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that. Looked at the Maplin 'ina box' system and bid on one on e-bay but unsuccessful. Whatever I get we'll only use it in winter 'dark' evenings. I've read the stuff on line about setting up etc but just how easy is it? Also have a 'spare' sky box but it is so big....if it was smaller I'd just buy a dish and lnb thingy plus sat finder and have a go....

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
We purchased the "in a box system" on a wim and if we had of thought about it I think we would have just bought a dish and a sat finder etc. As far as setting up is concerned sometimes my hubby gets it first time within seconds and other times he could spend an hour or more and maybe still not get a picture! It does depend on the site and if there are a lot of trees in the way. Depending on where we are pitched my husband will attach the dish to the jocky wheel or we have an old camera tripod which can be pegged down and positioned in a better place. But when it is set up the picture quality if excellent. If you have sky at home you will get all the same channels but if you use a freesat box you will be limited to what you get. It is great to have for the long dark nights or an early morning when you have kids.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
just tried out the sytem to see how long it would take to set it up. Not counting the time to make up the coax lead for the sat finder etc it took about 20 minutes to clamp the dish to the picnic table and find the satellite - really easy, dead chuffed; but what do I do with 500 tv channels???? ;-)

Thanks again for advice

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
if the picture is no good with the aerial , i get the satellite dish out , i use an upturned rotary close line for a tripod ,plus a freesat reciever , with the freesat you can get the tv for any region, but before you give up with aerial make sure you try it horizontal and vertical , if you go on this website you can find out nearly everthing about aerials ,cable ,plugs ,amps ,caravan aerials so type in

www.aerialsandtv.com ,best of luck

Mar 4, 2009
Visit site
Try making your own aerial if using a freeview box.

Use a piece of coax, strip off the insulation on the outer to a length of 44cm. Bend centre core one way to form the arm of a tee then bend the shield in opposite direction to form the other arm of tee.

Tape to a strip of wood to hold the tee shape.

Attach to broom handle or similiar.

Works for me on my home telly and will try same when i move into my caravan.

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
I fitted a Status 530 directional aerial on my van when they first came out. It has been excellent for both analogue and Freeview. As it is always on the van, there is nothing extra to carry - and it makes tuning in a doddle. The old Status 'flying saucer' was always a compromise, but the 530 is totally different. When I had a slight problem with the aerial gear box recently, with the aerial well out of warranty, Grade UK, the suppliers, were extremely helpful.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts