Satellite TV Receiver - Free-to-air/Freesat

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi

After years of struggling to interpret French TV when on our summer hols (LOL) we have finally started down the road of Satellite TV. I had, and took, the opportunity to buy a Maxiview portable dish and tripod from a guy who was staying on the same site as us earlier this week.

I now need a receiver to use with the kit I have just bought. I am a bit ignorant on these matters!!!! Is possible to get a receiver that will receive both the free-to-air channels and Freesat or is that pointless anyway. We will mainly be using the Sat kit on the Continent but may use it in the UK sometimes too.

I would appreciate recommendations for receivers. I only want a basic type and not too expensive!! Do I, also, need a signal finding device? Again recommendations gratefully received.

Any other advice is very welcome too. I won't be offended if it is very basic - I'm very new to all of this.

Tim

Reg

Jan 12, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Yes there is a sat receiver which has both freesat and freeview it's the Technomate TM-6900 HD COMBO.

That's the good news but here's the bad..........

It costs about

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We used a 54cm dish right down to the Mediterrean coast this year with no trouble and matched it to a Technomate freesat box. the box was about

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
This is the sort of query that appears on this forum regularly.

The simplest solution is to get youself a secondhand Sky box - you will find them advertised on such as Gumtree for

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
Free sat and Free to air are the same thing - the only difference is that the recievers which bear the new Freesat branding have better EPG ( Electronic Programme guide) information, more like freeview and Sky - which means that it is a bit easier to read and navigate.

The channel list is the same and does include Euronews even though it is not included on this list-

http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-Kingdom.html?PHPSESSID=cfcaf99d687204b5a401d2589e7dd676
You are looking for all the Astra2 sats as wel as Eurobird 1 as they will both be recieved on the best english language bearing of 28.2 to 28.5 E of S .

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
with some free to air you will get bbc1 high defination but mostly standard defination ,with freesat which displays the freesat logo you will get high defination on BBC and ITV , but personally after watching it for 15 mins you wont notice any difference

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Tim,

As "Jeremy Clarks son" pointed out the true branded "FreeSat" decoder has a better EPG ( Electronic Programme guide).

This in our opinion is a very important plus and something we feel you ought to make a special note of in your final choice.

So often when out in your caravan you have no idea of what is on or access to anything that tells you particularly when abroad.

If you are like us you will miss more of what you might have watched simply because you are uninformed of what is on.

A standard definition "Freesat" decoder can now be had for about

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Tim,

As "Jeremy Clarks son" pointed out the true branded "FreeSat" decoder has a better EPG ( Electronic Programme guide).

This in our opinion is a very important plus and something we feel you ought to make a special note of in your final choice.

So often when out in your caravan you have no idea of what is on or access to anything that tells you particularly when abroad.

If you are like us you will miss more of what you might have watched simply because you are uninformed of what is on.

A standard definition "Freesat" decoder can now be had for about

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts