May 18, 2008
Visit site
I have a Bailey Caidiz 2013, I need to to run a satellite connection from my TV in side caravan , to outside on the van wall, under the frone side window , somewhere.. I have the connections etc, to do it, but where do I run the cable to connect both ... ?? I am not running it through the window ... I want a permanent fixing

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Is there another connection next to the analogue connectionas there may be a connection inside the battery box?

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a Bailey Caidiz 2013, I need to to run a satellite connection from my TV in side caravan , to outside on the van wall, under the frone side window , somewhere.. I have the connections etc, to do it, but where do I run the cable to connect both ... ?? I am not running it through the window ... I want a permanent fixing
In your caravan you will have a aerial socket! You can buy a socket with a aerial and a satellite socket side by side, change that and run a satellite cable down behind any units in your van, then buy a maxiview external socket with a lift up flap on it, drill through the the caravan body and feed your cable to that.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If your van has already got provision for an external aerial you could just use that. Either change the sockets for 'F' type. Or change the plugs coming from the dish and going to the receiver, to standard coax plugs.

Disadvantage is that you can't easily switch between aerial and dish.

John

May 18, 2008
Visit site
In your caravan you will have a aerial socket! You can buy a socket with a aerial and a satellite socket side by side, change that and run a satellite cable down behind any units in your van, then buy a maxiview external socket with a lift up flap on it, drill through the the caravan body and feed your cable to that.

May 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes I have the bits .. but how do I get the cable to the outside connection box ... wherethe tv sits on the wrong side of the door to where I will put outside connection,,, so where do I run the cable ?

May 18, 2008
Visit site
Is there another connection next to the analogue connectionas there may be a connection inside the battery box?
Ill have a look tomo in the light
If your van has already got provision for an external aerial you could just use that. Either change the sockets for 'F' type. Or change the plugs coming from the dish and going to the receiver, to standard coax plugs.

Disadvantage is that you can't easily switch between aerial and dish.

John

May 18, 2008
Visit site
I think the option I want to try is running a new satellite cable from Tv along caravan to go outside through the van on the door side, underneath front window near the bottom to a maxview connection . But where do I run the satellite cable from tv to outside box...? There is trunking running along inside of van ... is the where the other cables are hidden / if so I can put tv cable in that ??

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes I have the bits .. but how do I get the cable to the outside connection box ... wherethe tv sits on the wrong side of the door to where I will put outside connection,,, so where do I run the cable ?
What do you mean by wrong side of the door? We had a series 6 Bailey padgeant there was a place for the tv on the door side, there was a panel on this panel was a 13 amp socketa 12 volt socket and a tv aeriel socket, as the van was new i asked them as part of the deal to swap the aerial socket for a aerial and duel satellite socket, so there was 2 sockets on 1 plate , they ran the cable straight down inside a cupboard you could'nt see it , then inside the cupboard they drilled a 10mm hole through the side of the caravan about 150mm above the awning skirt rail, they then fit the maxiview conection box as i have described, you get a seal with it so water cannot get in.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
For the record the caravan is a Unicorn Cadiz!
Looking a pictures I guess the battery box is just rear of the door? If so just drop a cable down from the TV table behind the drawers. In the battery box drill an appropriately sized hole in the left side panel above the mains inlet and fit an F-type back-to-back socket (you can get a lengthened socket with nut and star washer.) Use the dropped cable to connect to the adapter screwed into the side of the battery box. If your TV socket at the top is on the side of a 12V power socket you can replace the whole socket assembly with one that has both TV and Sat - the back of both is a F-type socket with the cable you have installed connected to the sat socket. You can easily get the sat cable out of the battery box alongside the mains cable. I suggest a 10m cable and a 5m cable so that you can place the dish wherever you need. You will need something to waterproof the cable-cable connection if you need to use both in series.

On the other hand, there may already be a connection inside that battery box that is presented adjacent to the aerial amp - possibly even connected to the amp to provide an aerial outlet in an awning. All you need to do is connect that cable through a b-to-b adapter to the cable that goes to the TV table socket. We had a 2010 Pegasus 462 which had an amp with normal (Belling Lee) TV sockets but the cable was terminated in F-type and every connection had a F-Type to Belling Lee adapter. If yours is the same then through connection is simple using a F-F socket adapter. In this instance replace the TV socket plate with a (F-type) sat only socket to feed you sat box - rear connection will be the same. You will need to make up a cable with an F-type on one end and a Belling Lee on the other end to feed signal to the TV if you are using the Status aerial.
Two points: DO NOT use a Belling Lee connector - plug or socket - to carry signals between the dish and the sat box. They are not designed to work at the frequencies concerned and may not make a good enough connection to carry the power to the LNB on the dish. Also DO NOT attempt to run sat signal through the amp as (1) the amp will not work at those frequencies and (2) there is no d.c. path through the amp to power the LNB.

Any queries, PM me and I'll guide you as necessary.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our caravan came with a aerial/satellite fitting in the battery compartment the previous owner had sorted it out I hope you get yours sorted.

May 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for suggestions , which I may use ... but what I had thought of is adding a sat connection in van for tv ( there is a spare place for it , or I buy a double ) , and running the cable down behind cupboard, along bottom of door ( with the other cables ) . Then into front floor locker , and out through van wall to Max view connection... bottom of wall , underneath front side window

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I would just ask why drill a hole through the caravan wall and risk water ingress, when you can with a bit of simple DIY put it inside the battery box completely waterproof? I've done it on two vans and it really is easy. You can buy all the cable and connectors you need very cheaply from Toolstation or Screwfix ad you will only need a knife (i.e. Stanley) and a pair of small sharp cutters to terminate the cables. There is plenty of on-line help to show you how to fit the F-type plugs. Remember that your proposed socket position will be in direct line of fire of water spray from the towing vehicle rear wheels.
If you do it as I suggested earlier you can use the single external socket to feed satellite or terrestrial TV depending on which you need to use as appropriate.

My PM offer is still open.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The other option is if you have a locker on the offside, fit the F connector in there as I am sure it can be mounted somewhere. I would think that drilling through the caravan wall is a big No No and may affect its selling or trade in price.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
The other option is if you have a locker on the offside, fit the F connector in there as I am sure it can be mounted somewhere. I would think that drilling through the caravan wall is a big No No and may affect its selling or trade in price.
But drilling and fitting a maxiview duel aerial and satallite conector is what the Bailey main dealer did to my brand new caravan ! The conector comes with a seal and mastic sealent was also applied, it is the same as every locker, water pump inlet, fridge vents, every hole in your van has sealent around it, whats the problem with a 10mm hole if its sealed, the maxiview conectors are designed to fit on the outside of your caravan.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
But drilling and fitting a maxiview duel aerial and satallite conector is what the Bailey main dealer did to my brand new caravan ! The conector comes with a seal and mastic sealent was also applied, it is the same as every locker, water pump inlet, fridge vents, every hole in your van has sealent around it, whats the problem with a 10mm hole if its sealed, the maxiview conectors are designed to fit on the outside of your caravan.
The area where the dealer has drilled the hole and fitted the connection no longer has a warranty. If unsure, contact Bailey and ask them. Not sure why they did not use the battery box for the fitment?
We had a satellite dish fitted onto our caravan and the damp ingress warranty does not apply where the dish has been fitted and where cables pass through the off.

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
The area where the dealer has drilled the hole and fitted the connection no longer has a warranty. If unsure, contact Bailey and ask them. Not sure why they did not use the battery box for the fitment?
We had a satellite dish fitted onto our caravan and the damp ingress warranty does not apply where the dish has been fitted and where cables pass through the off.
It was 2008 series 6 padgeant serviced every year and no damp was ever found! Only sold it last year. There was no room in the battery box on that model , your only other locker apart from the front is a wet locker that gives acces under the bed they dont have walls in these, and there is no cutout for any cable to come out of, and without that you would have a chance of damaging the seal and possible the hinges, And don't you think that a Bailey main dealer would advise against fitting a conector on the caravan if they thought there could possibly be a problem with damp.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It was 2008 series 6 padgeant serviced every year and no damp was ever found! Only sold it last year. There was no room in the battery box on that model , your only other locker apart from the front is a wet locker that gives acces under the bed they dont have walls in these, and there is no cutout for any cable to come out of, and without that you would have a chance of damaging the seal and possible the hinges, And don't you think that a Bailey main dealer would advise against fitting a conector on the caravan if they thought there could possibly be a problem with damp.
As you say with all of the other penetrations on a caravan a small connector box low down on the side should present no damp problems. I had one fitted on the offside of my 2005 Bailey S5 Bordeaux. Never any problems.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just to clarify I did say that the area where the connector was fitted any warranty would not apply. This is standard with all manufacturers. I never said that damp would occur.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
As you say with all of the other penetrations on a caravan a small connector box low down on the side should present no damp problems. I had one fitted on the offside of my 2005 Bailey S5 Bordeaux. Never any problems.
I am in agreement with clive we also had a small box fitted low down on the offside on our 2008 Bailey S5 Ranger and we had no problems

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Quite correct Clive what about when we have motor movers fitted! The wires are passed through the floor through a drilled hole, does that effect our guarantee's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts