Sattelite

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
When my van was about 18 months old I fitted solar panels to my van. That involved drilling through the roof. I checked with the manufacturer (Lunar as was). They said. If there was a guarantee claim in the future and the fault could be shown to be attributed to the work done, then the claim would fail. Conversely, if it was evident that the fault was due something else. Then I was covered.

As I had confidence in my ability to make a waterproof seal. I got the drill out!

I have read (in other forums), that some think that any alteration or moderation they may make, might automatically negate the guarantee. Thankfully, it’s not that simple.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When my van was about 18 months old I fitted solar panels to my van. That involved drilling through the roof. I checked with the manufacturer (Lunar as was). They said. If there was a guarantee claim in the future and the fault could be shown to be attributed to the work done, then the claim would fail. Conversely, if it was evident that the fault was due something else. Then I was covered.

As I had confidence in my ability to make a waterproof seal. I got the drill out!

I have read (in other forums), that some think that any alteration or moderation they may make, might automatically negate the guarantee. Thankfully, it’s not that simple.

John

That is exactly the point I was trying to get across but sadly it seems I failed.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
In three caravans i have owned, they have never fitted cables through vent holes, to fit motor movers!

Last edited by a moderator:
May 18, 2008
Visit site
I would just ask why drill a hole through the caravan wall and risk water ingress, when you can with a bit of simple DIY put it inside the battery box completely waterproof? I've done it on two vans and it really is easy. You can buy all the cable and connectors you need very cheaply from Toolstation or Screwfix ad you will only need a knife (i.e. Stanley) and a pair of small sharp cutters to terminate the cables. There is plenty of on-line help to show you how to fit the F-type plugs. Remember that your proposed socket position will be in direct line of fire of water spray from the towing vehicle rear wheels.
If you do it as I suggested earlier you can use the single external socket to feed satellite or terrestrial TV depending on which you need to use as appropriate.

My PM offer is still open.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I did this 12 years ago. I couldn‘t do it Woodentop‘s way as the mover isolation key unit is fitted in the battery box. As I use Sky + there are two F connections via the sealed socket. See pics. A clean hole was drilled through the bodywork and caravan manufacturer recommended Sikaflex sealant applied. Never had a leak. The interior wires were all connected up and routed as required. No damp! Wooden top has made you a very generous offer of help. He knows this stuff better than most!

Attachments

• 642A465D-5AA5-4E4A-8B67-799B42448D50.jpeg
    642A465D-5AA5-4E4A-8B67-799B42448D50.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 14
  • AC5F2B75-3798-4828-99DD-2069A91B8A28.jpeg
    AC5F2B75-3798-4828-99DD-2069A91B8A28.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: CHESHIRECAT
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I did this 12 years ago. I couldn‘t do it Woodentop‘s way as the mover isolation key unit is fitted in the battery box. As I use Sky + there are two F connections via the sealed socket. See pics. A clean hole was drilled through the bodywork and caravan manufacturer recommended Sikaflex sealant applied. Never had a leak. The interior wires were all connected up and routed as required. No damp! Wooden top has made you a very generous offer of help. He knows this stuff better than most!
Hi Dusty Looks like a very nice neat job

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site

John

And of course one sadly notes that Lunar are no more..........?

May 18, 2008
Visit site
But drilling and fitting a maxiview duel aerial and satallite conector is what the Bailey main dealer did to my brand new caravan ! The conector comes with a seal and mastic sealent was also applied, it is the same as every locker, water pump inlet, fridge vents, every hole in your van has sealent around it, whats the problem with a 10mm hole if its sealed, the maxiview conectors are designed to fit on the outside of your caravan.
This is what I am going to do... but I want it under the front window

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
As low as possible

But as I said earlier that will put the unit directly in line of the spray from the rear wheels of the tug. There is a hole at the bottom to let the cables in and that can admit water as well, the sockets will quickly corrode and cause attenuation and/or loss of signal. Whilst the unit itself will be sealed against the caravan wall there still has to be a hole through the body to allow the preterminated cables into the box which can allow moisture into the caravan wall. If you must have one at least put it on the sidewall.

Oh, and I should note that unless the box is attached absolutely flat to the caravan wall it is not uncommon for the flap to release itself and let the lid fly open in transit. (Been there, done that etc etc.)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Put it in the Battery box. Easier to route cables from there, every caravan I have had has had them in there.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My previous and current caravan have no room in the battery box for a connector box. But the last one I put on the off side. Never had a leak or damp problem in 9 years. The present van doesn’t have sat. The sat kitchen went in 2014 when everything was sold. 😂

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
My previous and current caravan have no room in the battery box for a connector box. But the last one I put on the off side. Never had a leak or damp problem in 9 years. The present van doesn’t have sat. The sat kitchen went in 2014 when everything was sold. 😂

Clive, you don't need to install a connector box if the location is inside the battery box. Just a through adapter screwed into the wall of the battery box is all that is required, with a permanently connected cable inside the caravan.
Done that on two of my vans and also for two friends. Works a treat - always!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Clive, you don't need to install a connector box if the location is inside the battery box. Just a through adapter screwed into the wall of the battery box is all that is required, with a permanently connected cable inside the caravan.
Thanks I will bear that in mind if we decide to invest in a sat system again. But thus far we have never had a problem with digital tv for Freeview. Although during the transition from analogue the satellite kit was useful.
Cheers
Clive

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
[/QUOTE]
But what do you do with the cable if the battery box is on the otherside of the caravan to where your tv cable inlets are located and where the tv sits?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts