Scenic auto

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
About to buy a new Scenic 2.0 auto but the literature and Renault UK very unhelpful as to towing weights/info. Do I need an oil cooler with an auto ? very low towing weights 1250 kgs with one person in car does that mean if I add my wife dog etc

it drops even lower ? anyone tow with a scenic auto your help

would be much appreciated before I order

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Unless otherwise explictly stated, the manufacturers quote maximum permissible towloads for the vehicle ex-works, i.e. without the need for retrofitted oil coolers, etc.

With Renaults, what counts is the maximum combined weight of car and caravan (gross train weight). In the case of the Scenic 2.0 auto this is, I believe, 2950kg. Therefore, if you load the car right up to its GVW limit of 1985kg, that would leave you with just 965kg for towing. Obviously, if you don't load the car up that much, you would have more available for towing, but the towload, i.e. the maximum axle load of the caravan, must never exceed 1250kg.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Unless otherwise explictly stated, the manufacturers quote maximum permissible towloads for the vehicle ex-works, i.e. without the need for retrofitted oil coolers, etc.

With Renaults, what counts is the maximum combined weight of car and caravan (gross train weight). In the case of the Scenic 2.0 auto this is, I believe, 2950kg. Therefore, if you load the car right up to its GVW limit of 1985kg, that would leave you with just 965kg for towing. Obviously, if you don't load the car up that much, you would have more available for towing, but the towload, i.e. the maximum axle load of the caravan, must never exceed 1250kg.
Thank you Lutz - that is the most sensible answer I have had in 3 weeks of communications with Renault.

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
Please be very careful with Renault towing figures. We owned a 2002 Renault when we conidered buying a caravan. The book stated a higher figure for driver only, but a limit of 1000kgs for any other situation. After consulting our dealer who knew nothing, we e-mailed Renault UK and eventually found someone who could advise us. Upshot was anyone other than driver in the car and the limit is 1000kgs - over 1000kgs and we were going against the manufacturers advice and our insurance would be invalid. We checked and double checked - then went out and bought the new Espace, not cheap but we wanted to tow a decent sized van. The only way you will find out if the new Scenic also has this low figure is to look at the handbook and leaflets supplied with the car (make the dealer go and get them!)not the brochure with the pretty pictures and little information. Also our Espace is an auto and on consulting a mechanic at our Renault dealership we were told it did not need a cooler - it has towed quite happily for the past few years.

Sep 22, 2006
Visit site
I towed for 4 years with a rover 75 2.5 automatic. superb towcar but I only managed approx 18 mpg, although I am a little heavy footed. Now have a volvo s60, which does over 30 mpg when towing. cheers

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Eileen - looked at the handbook and you are correct ridiculously low towing weight quoted for anything othe than

than driver only in car. Have checked with Renault customer services today and have found someone who says confirms what Lutz said earlier its the gross train weight you must work on

they will send a letter confirming in writing once I have a chassis number to quote them. But as I dont at the moment getting my dealership to get something in writing so I can proceed. Could not afford an Espace much as I would like one would rather look at the New Picasso from citroen at least theres no ambiguity there when it comes to towing.

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
Sorry to hear that Renault still persists with these ridiculously low towing figures for the Scenic. We did not think we could afford an Espace either.We drooled over the one in the showroom but at

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have had to order the car to get the chassis no so that Renault can give me a letter assuring me that the actual weights

relating to that model are correct. (if they are not will have to cancel the order) Phew watch this space. Would love the Espace but just too large for our needs and would

probably go the New model Picasso route instead. tks for yr input though.

I already own a Picasso (max tow 1300kg) and find them an excellent tug for the size and would recommend them anytime.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Steve

Did you ever receive a letter from Renault?. I have been in contact with them for a similar letter and they keep refering me to the handbook which is obviously of no benefit. regards Andy.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes recvd my letter from customer services - who also sent an email to my dealers - The car could in fact tow heavier than stated in the handbook, they quote the exact weight but you have to give your chassis number first which in my case the dealer did for me.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes recvd my letter from customer services - who also sent an email to my dealers - The car could in fact tow heavier than stated in the handbook, they quote the exact weight but you have to give your chassis number first which in my case the dealer did for me.
To be exact they gave me a Max gross train weight of 3050 kgs.

which is 55 kgs more than stated in the handbook.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
According to the Renault website, Steve, the 3050kg that you were given apply to the manual version of the 2.0dCi, NOT the automatic. The corresponding spec for the automatic is 3100kg and 2950kg for all 2.0 VVT variants.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hear what you say Lutz - but for warranty reasons wanted it in writing from Renault themselves who insisted on the chassis number because they do not issue letters like that without checking individually with each chassis number for the exact weight.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hear what you say Lutz - but for warranty reasons wanted it in writing from Renault themselves who insisted on the chassis number because they do not issue letters like that without checking individually with each chassis number for the exact weight.
Also remember the new model scenic came out end OCT/early Nov which is apparetnly heavier than the old model so the data you have may be out of date.

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
I own a 1.9dCi Grand Scenic and have "the letter" from Renault confirming what has been said already, that as long as I don't exceed the gross train weight of 3050 Kg, then I can tow up to 1300 Kg. Our kerbweight is quoted at 1530Kg (but is probably more as spare weheel is not included in this as Renault say it is an extra).

In practice, with two adults and two children, this means we are limiting oursleves to a caravan of unladen weight of under 1000Kg, to allow for evrything we want to put in.

I have seen good reports of the towing performance of the 1.9dCi exngine (same as in Laguna and Megane I believe) but could not comment on the 2.0 petrol.

Our caravan has not arrived yet so can't quote from personal experience, but the car has been the most comfortable and practical car we have ever owned, so I can't recommend it highly enough.

Think about the Grand Scenic versino though - as you'll get a fair bit more luggage space inside - even if you don't ever plan to use the extra fold down seats.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts