Scooping the poop or not!!!!!

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Yet again we have examples of the 2% of dog owners who through their own neglect, Yes Neglect!!, are managing to get their pets noticed for all the wrong reasons.

We have on our site a dog run for the dogs to roam free and do what they need to. The only rule is that the dog walker picks up rovers deposits and then place them in the bin provided. but alass, we have three exibits of non compliance. Ok so the site manager forgot to renew the roll of bags he supplies, but that is no excuse for us the dog owners not to bother, as you can get 150 bags for a £1 from any pound shop, or use the supermarket bags you got the shopping in.

Next of coarse is the one that got away!!

Yep, we have a runaway on our site. He has weaved his way between the vans and has left his trademark at the top of the touring field. Of coarse unless I track down the owner and point out the error made, the owner gets away from his/her responsability scott free.

Finally the best one of all, giving the job away!!

Some parents have given the dog maintainence job away to the children. From what I've seen on this site, the children don't know what is involved in walking the dogs, as they have had parental dleegation bestowed upon them without parental advice, let alone training.

Naturally when the sh 1 t hits the fan, they have the perfect get out of jail card and blame shifter. The kids!!

Now as a responsible dog owner my self, I have always got a bag in my pocket and even if it makes me wretch I will pick up my dogs deposit's. After all he has just as much right to a holiday as us. But if I don't like it, why does anyone think that a teenager or youngster is going to like it any more??

So yet another appeal to the 2% who need the training. PICK UP AFTER YOUR DOGS please.

Regards.

Steve L.

p.s. Perhaps Nigel D would like to put this in the mag for all who read to see.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is one subject that really makes my blood boil. We have been touring with our lab for the last 10 years, and always carry perfumed nappy sacks to clear up the mess. I certainly wouldn't delegate the job to a youngster. He's my dog so I take responsabillity for him and clearing up behind him. When away we like to take the dog with us as much as possible. But it gets harder to find dog friendly places to go, thanks to the irresponsable dog owners who seem to think someone else should clear up the mess. Years ago we were at Treamble Vally CC site, which has a wonderful dog walking area. There must of been half a dozen dog bins dotted around, but still dog poo everywhere. These people should be fined when caught, and fined heavily. If you have a dog scoop the poop and stop giving responsable dog owners a bad name!

Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
I have two dogs which I love dearly However,I think it is disgusting when people dont pick up after there dogs.I honestly think if people are caught by the warden say three times over a season not picking up they should be thrown out of the Caravan club or the Caravan and Camping club if its a private site they should be told to leave immediatley.It is a priviledge to own a dog but other people must be considered especialy children who play all over sites.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I can only see the problem getting worse with the increase in popularity of caravanning.

Maybe the wardens on checking in should remind people who have dogs to bag it and bin it. OK it shouldn't be their responsibiity but they're the ones most likely to have to clean it up.

Interstingly we went to Delamare a few weeks ago and the forests' policy is stick and flick. i.e find a stick and flick the mess into the undergrowth off the paths.

However there was still deposits on the path so people clearly just dont bother.

I fully agree it should not be a childs job to exercise a dog , most kids get bored all too quickly and will not bother to clean up.

When scented nappy bags are 60p-

Apr 9, 2006
Visit site
It annoys me when I see plastic bags, containing dog poo, hanging from branches and hedgerows, like decorations on a Christmas tree.

This unsociable habit is happening more and more.

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
Easy,

Just don't allow dog's on site's. That means that people who don't need an animal as a substitute family member can take a walk without stepping in there s@@t or listen to their barking....

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I don't know about getting a grip as you put it Paul.

The irresponsible dog walkers who blatently have no intention of cleaning up after their dog has fouled need the grip of the law put upon them.

I realy do not find it acceptable at all that we should have to navigate an obstical coarse to be able to walk on caravan sites or woodland walks. If people can not bring themselves to clean up after their pet, then one realy does have to ask if they are appropriate to have dogs.

In the past I have seen what has happened to one child after he caught a desease from excretia left on the floor, he lost his sight in both eyes.

So perhaps all dog owners/walkers should "get a grip" of the deposit and dispose of it properly.

I for one will not tolerate people who don't clean up and I'm not shy of making sure both the perpetrator of the crime and the bystanders know what has to be done to clean up the poop.

For all you guys and gals who have so far supported my clean up campaign, thank you for rienforcing the good owner practices.

Regards.

Steve L.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Easy,

Just don't allow dog's on site's. That means that people who don't need an animal as a substitute family member can take a walk without stepping in there s@@t or listen to their barking....
So Nick, you would rather take on the 98% of dog owners who like my self, put their dogs on an equal footing with them, than tackle 1% who let their dogs crap all over the place and the other 1% who leave their dogs in caravans so that they can vent their boredom by barking their wotsits off!!

I will never stop taking my dog on holiday as I'm quite prepared to look after his needs and that extents to picking up his deposit even if I'm pysically sick doing it.

If you have a dog you take him on with all the good and bad points.

ATB TTFN Steve L.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
it doesnt have to cost anything for poop bags as the local councils usually supply them free from theire offices and librarys, i know ours in stockport do.

we have 2 cavaliers and allways carry at least 4 bags as you never know one poop may not be enough !.

the biggest problem we have is that our council provide bags but they are really poor at providing any bins and we have the problem of bags hanging from trees and fences all the way along the river and canal which is a shame.

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
Icemaker,

Please don't start me on canals, I run along my local towpath 3 or 4 times per week and I'm sick of seeing dog s@@t...

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Now then Nick, you seem to be "barking" up the wrong tree here.

There are already caravan parks who do not allow dogs.

However, what we are talking about here is the resposability issues of people who think they can leave mess for others to deal with.

I personally pick up all my dogs poop and bag it, If there is no bin at hand, I'll take it home to bin it.

Regards

Steve.

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
So Nick, you would rather take on the 98% of dog owners who like my self, put their dogs on an equal footing with them, than tackle 1% who let their dogs crap all over the place and the other 1% who leave their dogs in caravans so that they can vent their boredom by barking their wotsits off!!

I will never stop taking my dog on holiday as I'm quite prepared to look after his needs and that extents to picking up his deposit even if I'm pysically sick doing it.

If you have a dog you take him on with all the good and bad points.

ATB TTFN Steve L.
Unfortunately Steve your sentiments are not the same as all dog owners....

Feb 12, 2007
Visit site
Dogs Dog owners and Dog poo has always been an emotive subject and brings out the extremes in people.There are always among us people who dont like children,who dont like 4x4s,who dont like twin axles in fact these people just plainly would not tolerate anything but there way just ask Nick. We have to live and let live and appreciate we are all diferrent However,there are rules of decency which we should all follow in order that the maximum amount of people continue to enjoy our pastime.One of these rules is clean up after your Dog.

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi Steve,

I do not go out to find a 'no dogs allowed site' in fact I do not know of one, I'm a member of both clubs and they tend to get the majority of my busniess, however it does not change my attitude towards inconsiderate dog owners. Our family has owned many family pets over the years but we took responsibility for them...

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
Gilbert,

I don't know where I fit into your catigory, I do have young children, I do drive a 4 x 4 , I do own a twin axle but all I am saying is I don't like my children or myself to be stepping over dog s@@t when I visit sites.....

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
There is a real environmental issue with lifting dog poo. You take a natural biodegradable substance and put it into a plastic bag which is ultimately bad for the environment. I have dogs I do lift their poo if they do it on paths, mowed grass or anywhere that specifically tells you it is a rule to lift. However I do my best to exercise my dogs in places where they can do their business with out needing it lifted to avoid the need for plastic bags.

I do agree with one poster in recent years there has been far far to much fuss made about dog poo. We have lived with dogs for 15,000 years and only in the last 15 years has this been an issue!!!

Nov 29, 2007
Visit site
Like others I pick up after my dog. However, I was talking to the dog warden in my local park who told me so long as the dog did it's business where people didn't walk or childred play i.e. under a bush in a rough overgrown area there is no need to pick up. They way I play it is that if it's possible to get to, I pick it up. If I can't get to it then it is very unlikely that anyone would even know it's there, let alone step in it.

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
I don't know about getting a grip as you put it Paul.

The irresponsible dog walkers who blatently have no intention of cleaning up after their dog has fouled need the grip of the law put upon them.

I realy do not find it acceptable at all that we should have to navigate an obstical coarse to be able to walk on caravan sites or woodland walks. If people can not bring themselves to clean up after their pet, then one realy does have to ask if they are appropriate to have dogs.

In the past I have seen what has happened to one child after he caught a desease from excretia left on the floor, he lost his sight in both eyes.

So perhaps all dog owners/walkers should "get a grip" of the deposit and dispose of it properly.

I for one will not tolerate people who don't clean up and I'm not shy of making sure both the perpetrator of the crime and the bystanders know what has to be done to clean up the poop.

For all you guys and gals who have so far supported my clean up campaign, thank you for rienforcing the good owner practices.

Regards.

Steve L.
Steve,

You obviously have a problem with dogs. Have you any idea of how remote the chance of a child ending up blind as the result of catching a parasite from dog poo is? I agree that owners should lift the poo if it is done on paths, mowed grass etc. However I sense that what you really want is for there to be no dogs at all. Sad really.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Hi Nick.

I can understand your point now and we are both on the same page on this subject. I realy do detest people who allow their pet to foul in an area that is used by others and then expect that they are exempt from picking it up. I'm having to use a torch at present on our Lab's 10pm walk in the dog run as the management have as yet not cleared the run of the left behind's.

While I can see Chrissy's point, I still don't see why you should leave poop anywhere, as the maintainence team who manage the park land and forrests still have to work the ground etc.

As a person who has owned both 4x4's and twin axle vans, I fail to see what that has to do with the health & safety issues of irresposible dog ownership.

I personally would rather bag it and bin it before anyone has the chance of treading in it and then getting into your car or walking in the caravan/awning or worse still aunie maud's best wilton carpet.

Steve L.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If I see someone not picking up after their dog on a caravan site, I walk over and politely but firmly give them one of my bags and ask them to pick it up.

I've done that on several occasions and haven't met with any serious consequences for myself. Not always the answer though for the ones who walk away when no one is around.

One thing I was absolutely disgusted by happened a few years ago. A couple with about six borders pitched along side us, their awning backing onto a large hedge. Oh yes, they knew a lot about dogs, did agility, gave me some tips on increasing canine fitness levels, etc etc. However, when they packed up and left, my dogs made a bee line for where their awning had been and OMG, the place was full of dog muck. It was disgusting, imagine six dogs worth over a week all in the same area. My husband and I picked it all up and put it in the dog bin, rather than give dog owners a bad name again.

Regarding children walking dogs, I think in the current climate, children should not be allowed to walk a dog unaccompanied by an adult until they reach the age of ten.

Lisa

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Steve,

You would rather lift dog poo out of the undergrowth in a forest (in case a forestry worker stands in it) placing it in a non biodegradable plastic bag, which then ends up in a land fill site. While as I have said, people should not leave dog mess on paths etc in places such as caravan sites, public parks etc, it makes no environmental sense to plastic bag dog waste that is deposited away from frequent human activity. You say you have a labrador, but your paranoia on this subject leads me to think that you have a general problem with dogs.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh course he hasn't got a problem with dogs. He's often made posts about his dogs on here.

If objecting to irresponsible dog owners is having a problem with dogs, then count me in on that one too.

Lisa

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts