Scotland 2011 - Waiting for Katia

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Excellent reading and viewing David, the Scottish Tourist Board could do worse than take you on as a consultant. Some of your photographs are really very good, then I have noticed that before on your Blog.
Re the battle at Culloden Moor, a lot of people think it was a clear cut division of Scots versus English. It was Jacobite forces versus Troops loyal to the Crown. There were Scots on both sides, I can remember years ago reading accounts of close family members being on opposite sides. Sure I have also read of a small number of English being on the Jacaobite side as not everyone in England was too keen on what they saw as a German on the British throne. I think there were also some Germans on the Crown side, Irish on both sides and some French around too. The worst part of it to me was the aftermath of the battle when the commander of the Loyalist forces, the Duke of Cumberland, earned his nickname "Butcher Cumberland" for the way the Highlanders were hunted down and summarily killed, even those incapacitated by wounds.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
David
One of the best blogs I have ever read. Brilliant!
I hope Nigel and his team can make a feature article of this. So much to take in and excellent quality
smiley-cool.gif

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
hi david just viewed your blog and must confess i felt quit ashamed
smiley-embarassed.gif
as im scottish in my 60s
and i live in the central belt between glasgow and edinburgh i have never toured up past skye
(when we stayed at the cc site at morvitch) if u want solitude you will find it there.
i was very impressed by your photos and showed them to my other half and she would like to
try that direction in 2012. Enjoyed your blog.
Dougie

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
Just read your great blog!! We've been to most of the places on there quite a few times. Your photos are fantastic!! I'ts a shame the weather was so bad for you but you got pictures at Rannoch Moor which is stunning. This link will hopefully show some winter pictures we took mainly of Rannoch Moor towards Glencoe if it works. http://www.flickr.com/photos/12218943@N00/sets/72157614256276876/
The Sun Inn at Beamish was taken from the town where I live just about 30 minutes away. We haven't been to Beamish for years because it is expensive but I didn't realise that you could use your tickets all year round so we will probably do that now. Thanks for that information!
We have recently started to go to Scotland in April and have been lucky to have fantastic weather a few years running.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi David reading your blog and viewing your pictures brought flooding memories for us , (Fantastic effort well done)we did a simular trip long before we took up caravanning.
We first went to Lands end whilst their we thought why not go to John O'Groats and photo the first and last house that both these places have.
Not at the the same time 4 months between trips. We spent a very enjoyable fortnight up the A1 across the A68 stopping at the border on to Edinburgh,then via Inverness where the road becomes very bendy in places to John O Groats We stopped off on route at various bed and breakfast,At john O Groats we stayed with a Liverpool couple who had a bungalow attached to his lobster shop.
We continued across the top of Scotland to Durness (Smoo cave) down the west coast to Ullapool,via the two broom lochs to Gairloch via Glen Torridon to Torridon.
To the A 87 passing Eilean castle to Spean Bridge via Fort William down to Inveraray across to Stirling , final stop Richmond before heading home.
This we did this in 1991 first two weeks in September , continuance sunshine throughout we covered 2,274 miles petroil costs total trip £96 pounds, shudder to think what the fuel bill would be today.
The west side of Northen Scotland is well worth a visit, lots of the A roads we used, are single track with lots of passing places, more suitable for motorhome to towing , cannot remember being plaged by midges must have been the sun , they prefer the damper conditions..
Thanks again for allowing us to enjoy your marvellous pictures, trust it will encourage more people to travel north
Royston

TRENDING THREADS