SEASICKNESS

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, we tried the bands on my daughter 4 years ago and she hasn't been travel sick since. However I believe that crossing can be very rough so not sure if anything would help then!

Catherine

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wayne,

We did this crossing last year, out of eight of us 5 were sick, all the ones that were sick wore arm bands. We also tried the tablets and crystalised ginger none of which works.

the only thing i can suggest is to have food before you get on the boat and just go to bed early, we tried going in for dinner but were all sick again, so we took to our beds and felt fine the next morning and had a fry up for breakfast and the rest of the day was plain sailing. Hope this helps

G

The Bay of Biscay can be very choppy at many times. As seasickness can make anyone feel absolutely miserable (with death often a pleasurable option) it may be better if you are so worried to consider another way to travel. Pills and other remedies do work, to a certain extent, but bad sufferers usually have no easy option.

Jan 8, 2006
Visit site
Have you tried a couple of strawberry jam sandwiches,,,,,, It wont stop you being sick, but it taste nice coming back up. J.Lo

Aug 30, 2006
Visit site
Hello Wayne.

I have had the pleasure of doing quite a lot of small boat sailing ( including Biscay in winter ) and have seen many friends take a variety of measures to combat seasickness and would suggest that -

Armbands rarely work

If the weather permits, when you begin to feel queasy, go out into the open air, take slow deep breaths and look towards the horizon. This limits the extent to which the brain is confused by conflicting information coming from the eyes and the balance mechanisms in the ears ( the cause of all travel sickness ).

If this doesn't work, go and lay down and again take slow deep breaths.

If you decide to take tablets, Stugeron seem to work best but be careful if you are the driver; they can have a side-effect of making you feel quite woozy.

On the bright side, as Gill C intimates, you should feel better in the morning and if you are sick, you will wonder where the hell the carrots came from..!

Olly.

G

Wayne doesn't say how rough it was on his crossing last year, if the fery docked within an hour or so of its scheduled ETA it was not as rough as it can be.

I can't see why people put themselves through the potential for hell the crossing offers.

Take the tunnel or a shorter crossing and enjoy the drive and save yourself from the torture!

Nov 25, 2006
Visit site
Have you tried a couple of strawberry jam sandwiches,,,,,, It wont stop you being sick, but it taste nice coming back up. J.Lo
Damn! You beat me to it!!!!

My late father-in-law used to tell this but used orange juice instead of strawberry jan sandwiches!

May 21, 2007
Visit site
Hi Wayne,

we travelled the same route on 28th October and it did get quite rough on the second late evening / early morning of the trip. We both get queasy quite easily, but we always take Avomine tablets, available from the chemist and have no problems except we sleep a lot! They do make you very relaxed and drowsy and quite thirsty so we take plenty of water on board, but we have never been sick, even when all around us are. Just follow the instructions, and time taking them so that they are wearing off before you have to drive again.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi, we were lucky enough to go on a cruise this October and sailed back to Southamptonfrom the straits of Gibraltar, encountering Force 7 and then Storm Force 10. It got a tad bumpy!Lots of folk were seasick but many said that the travel bands really worked. There was an injection from the onboard doctor but those who had it said it rather knocked you out. I only felt a bit queasy and a few slices of plain toast seemed to do the trick.

mel

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We sail down to Santander each year. I'm usually OK but my wife isn't as good. She takes Stugeron tablets which seem to help the best. She switched to them some years ago after she was told they were the ones given to the armed forces during the Falklands war

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Try the homoeopathic remedy 'Travella' which is very successful, and is available at Boots so has become 'mainstream'. We used it on a very rough crossing from the Hook of Holland to Harwich (on the Seacat which has now been taken out of service because the crossings were too rough for it!). We were almost the only ones on the boat not actually sick. We offered some Travella to a mum and daughter sitting next to us. The little girl was 'green' but took the Travella and within ten minutes fine again, and cheerful. Her Mum said she had tried 'everything' previously, and this was the only thing which had actually worked.

Feb 20, 2007
Visit site
hi, my wife is a terrible sailor, however her brother spent all his life at sea and told her to eat anything with ginger in it .It works biscuits ,stem ginger and ginger tablets taken before sailing,never felt ill since.

TRENDING THREADS