Seasonal Pitches

Jun 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi all
Would love to get folks opinions on seasonal pitches as there appears to be an increasing trend towards this type of pitch.
I personally am worried about the number of people asking if there are sites in their area selling seasonal pitches, in a recent discussion I had there was a definite positive attitude towards these type of pitches which surprises me, I fully appreciate it’s a lot cheaper then buying static & I can see why sites are selling these pitches, must do wonders for their cash flow, but is it not going against the grain as to why folk buy tourers?
Would love to hear your thoughts

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
They don't sell seasonal pitches, they are rented out for the year. Many people have a seasonal pitch, but still go touring for loner holidays. Getting decent insurance for the caravan may be an issue.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There are some people who aren't able to tour any longer and those who because of other commitments find a seasonal fits in better with their lifestyle. But both types still like the ability to spend time in their caravan and in an area they like.

So why should it be going against the grain? Live and let live.

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Well at present we have a touring caravan but if something does not improve we might have to go back to a seasonal Pitch we did enquire about a Adult Park near Bedale North Yorkshire they have fully hardstanding Service pitches & Toilet Block /Shower and they are open all year . but at the moment it on a back burner .
if you have one life live it :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well at present we have a touring caravan but if something does not improve we might have to go back to a seasonal Pitch we did enquire about a Adult Park near Bedale North Yorkshire they have fully hardstanding Service pitches & Toilet Block /Shower and they are open all year . but at the moment it on a back burner .
if you have one life live it :)

As some would say “ each to their own”

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the answer is down to tourers being cheaper to buy, easier to move if you fall out with the site owners and are can be moved if you get bored with your current site.. Statics cost far more, are very difficult to move if you have problems and some sites do have a habit of requiring you to move off the site if your static gets too old. Personally we would have not want to just go to the same place all the time but that one is just us and presumably a fair few others.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
We started off touring in our first caravan, a 1980s 2 berth Eccles Topaz, but I had a stroke which stopped most of my outdoor activity at the time.
When I began to feel better after a year of twice weekly physiotherapy I regained some dexterity and mobility, so we rented a seasonal pitch for our little Eccles.
A good friend who also had a seasonal pitch on the same site arranged it all for us, he towed and pitched our caravan and he took us there and back when he went at weekends because I wasn't up to driving just then.
The seasonal pitch was a life saver for us at the time, we stayed for 7 seasons and I gradually recovered and was again able to drive and to tour.
We made many friends on the site which is about 50 miles from home, most of us on there were seasonal and the site became a little community.
We moved off in 2007 when the adjacent river Avon flooded the site, as did everyone else.
The seasonal pitch was great while we were there, we sometimes spent weeks there in the summer and the local shops and pubs got to know us because we were regulars.
We drove past on Sunday evening, the old site is under new management now and massive improvements have been made to the old orchard where we first stayed.
My friend is still there, his job means that he can finish work on Friday lunchtime and be enjoying a beer and a barbecue outside his permanently erected awning on Friday afternoon.
The seasonal pitch fee including electric hook up was less than £100 per season when we first went, but over the years it's gradually risen to almost £1000 per season, March - October.
The new improved site is as good as anything in the area, but we really loved it when it was rustic and relatively untouched since the 1940s.

Reactions: otherclive
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What anybody wants to do with their caravan is up to them, Unless it's something illegal or it affects negatively you in someway.

It's not my or yours business if someone want to use a seasonal site.

However - with the move towards EV's which have poorer towing capacities or range, using seasonal sites may become a more common way to caravan.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We have had a large tourer on a seasonal pitch for about 6 years now. When we both worked full time and were foster parents, it saved our sanity. The ability to get away from it all at the weekend was brilliant. We preferred seasonal over static, because you have no easy option to leave you have had enough of it. We also tour in a teeny tiny van as well now.
We have been fortunate enough to enjoy the best of both worlds.
Mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Seasonals v Touring is a very personal matter. Both serve a very important purpose for individual needs.
There are two main types of seasonals I see.
1. The site stores your unit and only brings it onto a pitch by request( advanced booking essential). You then pay a storage, movement and pitch fee.
2. Full time seasonal permanently sited. Annual fee.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
We started off touring in our first caravan, a 1980s 2 berth Eccles Topaz, but I had a stroke which stopped most of my outdoor activity at the time.
When I began to feel better after a year of twice weekly physiotherapy I regained some dexterity and mobility, so we rented a seasonal pitch for our little Eccles.
A good friend who also had a seasonal pitch on the same site arranged it all for us, he towed and pitched our caravan and he took us there and back when he went at weekends because I wasn't up to driving just then.
The seasonal pitch was a life saver for us at the time, we stayed for 7 seasons and I gradually recovered and was again able to drive and to tour.
We made many friends on the site which is about 50 miles from home, most of us on there were seasonal and the site became a little community.
We moved off in 2007 when the adjacent river Avon flooded the site, as did everyone else.
The seasonal pitch was great while we were there, we sometimes spent weeks there in the summer and the local shops and pubs got to know us because we were regulars.
We drove past on Sunday evening, the old site is under new management now and massive improvements have been made to the old orchard where we first stayed.
My friend is still there, his job means that he can finish work on Friday lunchtime and be enjoying a beer and a barbecue outside his permanently erected awning on Friday afternoon.
The seasonal pitch fee including electric hook up was less than £100 per season when we first went, but over the years it's gradually risen to almost £1000 per season, March - October.
The new improved site is as good as anything in the area, but we really loved it when it was rustic and relatively untouched since the 1940s.
Parksy dont try for a seasonal down here in the South West mate, starting now at £2,300.00 (not fully serviced) up to £4,250.00 (serviced) Thats two different sites both have bar entertainment and pool.
How do i know, we have inquired about them and no chance for this year, and pot luck if you get one next year.
We have our names on the list of 4 sites, but turned down the cheaper one as not fully serviced and site when we went and had a look yesterday was not that tidy oe well kept,

Prof dont read this bit as its none of your business,
we want one as it will suit our needs whilst still working for a living.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Parksy dont try for a seasonal down here in the South West mate, starting now at £2,300.00 (not fully serviced) up to £4,250.00 (serviced) Thats two different sites both have bar entertainment and pool.
How do i know, we have inquired about them and no chance for this year, and pot luck if you get one next year.
We have our names on the list of 4 sites, but turned down the cheaper one as not fully serviced and site when we went and had a look yesterday was not that tidy oe well kept,

I read Profs post #8 as basically aligned with your approach. In the words of Beachball “ each to his own”

Reactions: Gagakev

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site

I doubt if we'd ever go back to having a seasonal pitch now Kevin, we really enjoy visiting different places.
I'd say that you and Prof basically agree, I'm guessing that the "none of your business" comment was a joke?

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
We had a seasonal pitch for around 3 years, absolutely loved it.
York area around £2k a year for a 10 month season, we went every weekend without fail, we also pulled the caravan off 3 times a year for holidays.

When the wife started with a weekend rota it became apparent the cost verses use couldn't be justified so it now lives in storage on a caravan site that does pitch and store, a fabulous middle ground idea we take full advantage of. We go over an 11 month season every third weekend excluding annual holidays, which in normal years works out at 11, total cost including storage around £1.1k.

I would go back to seasonal in a heartbeat, caravan fully set up, with big full awning all kitted out, just arrive, plug the power water and waste in, then relax, well clothes are to pack away but you get the idea.

Prices do vary widely with no real rule of thumb, but getting one is difficult as the ones we looked at recently have a waiting list

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts