- Nov 11, 2009
You should perhaps look at the Pfizer and Oxford/AstraZeneca web sites before raising such nebulous points. The development and testing of drugs isn’t just some freewheeling activity. There will be continuous oversight and peer review and prior to moving on to a stage the results of the present stage are reviewed. U.K., EU and US regulators will be being kept involved. And each nations health body will also be engaged. Trials will continue even when the first vaccines are being administered and long after to assure and investigate.They state tests are showing that vaccines are 90%, but what they are not telling you is what has happened to the other 10%. Oxford university used a figure of 45000 so in essence 4500 either got infected or died. Of those people how many passed the virus on friends, family and others? Of those that had the vaccine and suffer no ill effects where they then exposed to people who had the virus? No one knows enough about how the tests were conducted and what parameters or constraints were used
The vaccine has to be kept at temperatures of minus 70C. So we now have a logistics issue of transporting the vaccine and it being kept at hospitals or surgeries at the required temperature of minus 70C. I do not think many hospitals or surgeries have that sort of refrigeration
Re -70 deg C the Pfizer vaccine can come up to a more normal cool temperature for a few days prior to use. It’s somewhat mischievous to spread partly complete information. Best to go to the official websites.
Are you aware that the annual flu vaccine rarely exceeds 50% effectiveness. But if sufficient people are vaccinated against flu it’s effects particularly on the elderly, vulnerable and key staff are significantly reduced.