May 4, 2005
Visit site
Having had our 590 Conquerer stolen a while back our new Firestorm 630fb is fitted with a phantom tracker,alarm ,4 wheel clamps,2 hitch locks,4 corner steady locks,a ground anchor it sits behind locked,alarmed gates with 2 security posts all monitored by 3 motion detection cameras. My question is HAVE I MISSED ANYTHING?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Brian - What have you got in this van of yours that requires the level of security you are providing?

it strikes me that most insurers will give you coverage for nothing!!

Being a caravan lover and having had a van for many years that all you need to do is meet the basic requirements of your chosen insurer. and then keep your fingers crossed that your van is not chosen for stealing.

I have not had a van stolen but have had my home done over whilst away in the van and its a terrible feeling when it happens - first you are shocked and angry - then, depending on you insurer have the agony of providing estimates etc. for things stolen and finally the pleasure when your claim is settled and you can renew the stolen articles etc.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Hopefully none of you will experience the theft of a caravan.The reason I put so much security on is simple, when the,I'm sure hardworking tax payers,who stole my van have trashed it they will want another one and like most of us if you get a 'good deal' somewhere you'll go back.Due to a cockup by my then insurers(sold a new for old policy,which turned out not to be) I had to take court action which we eventually settled out of court but still left me

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Just hope you don't loose the keys to fort caravan. I have a twin axle van whic I keep on my drive.

I park it front to the garage then fit a wheel clamp and hitch lock. I have a post locked to the ground behind it and finally I park our tow car tight along side the side where the wheel clamp is fitted, thus making it as difficult as possible without making it a fort knox job for me to use.

With those basic security precautions, it seems to of got matey to p**s off and try else where. It's a sad world we live in today and our hands are tied when we do find the culprit. Maybe arabic law should apply. Taketh the hand that offends!!

I once caught someone vandalising my garden fence (Kicking the crap out of it) when he saw me 6ft 1 and 17 stone he legged it but I found where he lived and informed the police. They were more interested in me not collaring him than doing the job themselves. They certainly were more concerned that he didn't "trip over" while in my hands. Me threatening to perform citizens arrest sparked action at last. It has taken three years for the little s**t to pay off the damages (

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve,

Mine was stolen from my drive in daylight. It had two Bulldog Titan wheelclamps, Alko hitchlock, SAS alarm and roof lettering.

Door was forced and the SAS alarm keypad torn off before the entry time-out expired (20 secs). The wheel clamps and hitch lock (and keypad) were left on the drive and might just as well been made of putty.

Hence the Supermule & Tracker.

I too park my car within two inches of the wheel clamp but you do have to use the car occasionally!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As an addition to the above posting.

If you own a caravan (such as a Bailey et al.) which has a window in the upper half of the stable door, then fit a Fiamma Safe-T-Lock as the rogues just "pop" these small windows, put their hand inside to open the door.

In fact, most locks fitted to caravan doors are so flimsy that they can be opened by tapping a flat bladed screwdriver into the keyhole and turning with a mole wrench, so fit a Fiamma door lock anyway.

Yes, I am quite paranoid but having

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Rod,Two weeks before mine was stolen Two 'gents' knocked to ask directions to a local building site.I live in a village of about 20 houses but none overlook my property .Normally either myself our one of my two immediate neighbours is at home but on the morning the van was stolen we were all out, which makes me think they had been watching and waiting for the right moment.The gates were forced open ,the wheelclamp had been forced off ,the hitchlock cut off ,the battery box door ripped off,(to unplug the mains)all were left along with with two long tyre marks where they had wheel spun away!It took 10 hours before the police took details of the caravan and told me to claim on my insurance as 'I probably wouldn't want it it back after some rotten p******s had been sleeping in it'.What we couldn't claim for were the kids toys,videos and rolls of undeveloped film from a recent holiday.A previous response to 'fit the minimum security your insurance requires and cross your fingers, will only add to the 1000,s of vans stolen in the UK each year.COME ON GUYS, LETS MAKE IT HARD FOR THEM!!!!!!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Here here, I would be devastated if my van was nicked as we have researched the hobby for ages ,before going out and

looking at loads of vans and finding the one we wanted,we've scrimped and scraped to kit it out and my kids are made up

with their part time beds.I am gradually getting more and more security on mine as money allows.As Brian said,dont just hand it to the little s***s !

May 21, 2008
Visit site
As an addition to the above posting.

If you own a caravan (such as a Bailey et al.) which has a window in the upper half of the stable door, then fit a Fiamma Safe-T-Lock as the rogues just "pop" these small windows, put their hand inside to open the door.

In fact, most locks fitted to caravan doors are so flimsy that they can be opened by tapping a flat bladed screwdriver into the keyhole and turning with a mole wrench, so fit a Fiamma door lock anyway.

Yes, I am quite paranoid but having

May 9, 2005
Visit site
only about an hour of your holiday having to take all the locks off its a shame we have to guard of caravans so much. Not a daft holiday concept after all as other people want a piece of the action also.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hopefully none of you will experience the theft of a caravan.The reason I put so much security on is simple, when the,I'm sure hardworking tax payers,who stole my van have trashed it they will want another one and like most of us if you get a 'good deal' somewhere you'll go back.Due to a cockup by my then insurers(sold a new for old policy,which turned out not to be) I had to take court action which we eventually settled out of court but still left me

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Tests show that a wheelclamp under attack takes between 2 minutes to get off and...,well we don't know because they stop at 5 minutes for Sold Secure approval, but lets say 10 minutes. Hitchocks figures are the same .So if you fit 1 wheelclamp and 1 hitchlock it could be anywhere between 4 and 20 minutes to remove them, thats an average of 12 minutes.Given that most thieves travel in pairs that could come down to 6 minutes.Allow time to raise the rear steadies and hitch up and your pride and joy has gone in the time it takes to make a cup of tea!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Tests show that a wheelclamp under attack takes between 2 minutes to get off and...,well we don't know because they stop at 5 minutes for Sold Secure approval, but lets say 10 minutes. Hitchocks figures are the same .So if you fit 1 wheelclamp and 1 hitchlock it could be anywhere between 4 and 20 minutes to remove them, thats an average of 12 minutes.Given that most thieves travel in pairs that could come down to 6 minutes.Allow time to raise the rear steadies and hitch up and your pride and joy has gone in the time it takes to make a cup of tea!
didnt kow hitchcock was a caravanner !!!!!!!

May 4, 2005
Visit site
It's not what you kow it's who you kow..Excelllent!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Steve,

There is little use in taking down their registration number.

If the plate is real it is unlikely that the vehicle is registered to the person driving it and it is probably not taxed.

If they have a telephone number on the van, it is either a mobile or false.

These people believe that they are above the law and the more I see and hear of them in my area the more I feel this is so.

Traveller sites are a no-go area for the police and in my area the police have just issued them all with a CD which explains their human rights and how race relations applies to them as a group.

The law abiding citizen doesn't stand a chance.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Steve,

There is little use in taking down their registration number.

If the plate is real it is unlikely that the vehicle is registered to the person driving it and it is probably not taxed.

If they have a telephone number on the van, it is either a mobile or false.

These people believe that they are above the law and the more I see and hear of them in my area the more I feel this is so.

Traveller sites are a no-go area for the police and in my area the police have just issued them all with a CD which explains their human rights and how race relations applies to them as a group.

The law abiding citizen doesn't stand a chance.
Valid point.

But by making it obvious to them that you record events they will be warey.

The point about the no go areas is right, that's what I was getting at. The police certainly don't mind reminding you to show restraint but they are sh*t scared to go and ask the milk churn faturnaty.

I've had to "deal" with these ands the only thing they understand is the "Hickory stick"

Mar 28, 2005
Visit site
just a few tips on security for you all, I've noticed a few posts on this topic saying that they park there cars tight up against the wheel clamp this is useless unless the A frame is facing a wall, they will just hitch it up and drag the caravan out with the wheel clamp still in place, and no matter how good your hitch lock is they dont even try and remove it, they just attach a scaffolding tube using jubilee clips to the A frame, lets make it harder for the s***s

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
i had my last van stolen 5 yrs ago and that was fitted with hitchlock and wheelclamp, the thieves deflated the tyre to remove wheelclamp, sice then i have modified my wheelclamp by welding extra heavy duty freezeproof chain to rear of clamp pasing chain over axle through the chassis on van back through new welded heavy duty eye on other side of clamp and fitting secondary lock through chain. its a pain to fit and remove even with keys but worth it

stuart

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's a sad place this Country of ours, now full of thieving little scroats. When we went to Switzerland at Easter the mainly Swiss & German vanners also staying at Jungfrau couldn't understand why we had a Bulldog wheel clamp on the van - they thought we'd rented the van! I explained that in the UK the Ins Co requires them as so many vans get nicked. A problem unheard of in Switz, as even the shops leave their stock out over the weekend, and it's still there on a monday morning! Didn't the UK used to be like this a few years ago?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts