Series 2 Disco TD5

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Considering buying one of these to tow our Burstner and cart kids/dogs etc around Europe. It will have to be a 5/6 year old model any problems with these or alternative ideas. Thanks

Jun 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I hada Series 2 TD5 manual a 2000 model. It was a graet tow car, and lots of space, but reliabilty was awful. I had major engine and gearbox problems, as well asa number of problems with electrics and the hydraulics on the attitude control. After 76000 miles I decided to sell it as it was just coming out of warranty and I could not face the costs that may confront me. So I bought a Sorento and its been totally the opposite with reasonable service costs and no reliabity issues. It is as good as the Disco for towing and yes it has done its stuff off road, just to prove to me that it could. I went out witha 4x4 club for a day. When I had decided to sell the LR the garage did tell me that the 300TDI was reckoned to be a more reliable car. Pity the were'nt that open wehn I bought the S2 But I suppose that is the differenec between talking to a Service Manager and a Salesman!

Other Clive

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Claire,

I would agree with Other Clive. I found the TD5 to be a great towcar and we towed from north of Scotland to Spain twice with several trips to France. However lots of problems with my 1999 TD5. I then bought a 2003 TD5 on the recommendation of a Land Rover Assist engineer as he said all the problems had been sorted out on model from 2003 onwards. I must say he was correct as I had no further problems with this model.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I have a 2003 model and agree, go for the facelift model if you can as mine has been very reliable and returns good mpg even with 1800kg of van

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hi Claire,

We had a 2000 TD5, auto, it was a great tow car. I think we had it for about three years, apart from the normal servicing etc. it didn't cost us a penny!

We swapped it for the Discovery 3 a year ago, as we changed to a much heavier 'van, 1895Kg, and found, in comparison, the TD5 struggled. I'm sure yours will be great!! :O)

Wendy

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Claire,

We had a 2000 TD5, auto, it was a great tow car. I think we had it for about three years, apart from the normal servicing etc. it didn't cost us a penny!

We swapped it for the Discovery 3 a year ago, as we changed to a much heavier 'van, 1895Kg, and found, in comparison, the TD5 struggled. I'm sure yours will be great!! :O)

Wendy
Thanks wendy definately go for the TD5

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts