Serious ,Intelligent Question! No smut please.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2005
Visit site
As you can all see we have a lot of serious caravananers (new and old)on this forum and there's still a lot of you who haven't told us your reasons for starting.If you look at the forum over the last few weeks it amazes me that caravan parks are such peaceful places,you would expect each day to end with mass riots!But the truth is they dont,Why, because in truth the people on site are kind,caring tollorant people with a common goal.If someone on site was determinded to upset the others they would,quite rightly be asked to leave.Well I think this forum is OUR site when we are not on a real one,a place to meet and have a chat with other caravaners.The same rules should apply.Those who continue to post comments of a nature likely to offend,or those blattantly using more than one login should at first be warned and then stopped from using this 'site'I think we are in danger of this site collapsing and we must fight to keep it!....Brian.

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul & Ruth,hopefully things can now return to normality(we'll see what tonight brings) I have noticed that you haven't replied to the question I set at the top of the page,(why did you start caravanning?) How about it!.....Brian :~)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry Brian, we started (March 2005) for the freedom to get away as much as we can with the children before they grow up and get to old. We went to NEC show just to look, with the intention of buying something next year as we had already booked our main holiday this year. 1 month later, and a stonker of a hardly used bargain found by my wifes parents and the dream had come earlier than expected. You may recall from my original posts, I was then made redundant the day after I made my 11k purchase! Lucky my job is extended and I will leave December 23rd (just in time for a nice Christmas break). I only hope we can continue next year and get away so much..job depending in the new year of course?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We started caravaning as we live in the midlands and a boat wouldn't be much use. The caravan seems the next best thing to me, you still get to see lots of different places and the setting up/going off site has the same feel as coming into port and leaving.

I get to firtle with all the gadgets, maintain services etc. My wife chills right out and the kids get to make new friends etc.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
We're about to start. My wife and myself have always done a lot of sailing, on friends boats, chartering, and for a few years we had our own boat. However, with the advent of two small children, owning a boat became impractical. You need to keep an eye on them most of the time anyway, on a yacht you literally can't look away for a second, whether you're at sea or in a marina.

However, we've always liked the freedom of owning a boat, the great outdoors, etc and I've never been very fond of hotel holidays. From what I can see, living on a caravan is not dissimilar to being on a boat, but with the advantage that its not so weather/tide dependent(!), and we can relax a little more with the kids without having to watch them constantly.

Coupled with the fact that next year I might take a career break, and then a caravan would give us a great opportunity to explore Europe with kids, and maybe beyond.

We're looking forward to getting started!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
My husband myself and two boys started camping last year and enjoyed it but I use to look at the other caravaners and be very jelous of the comfort they had, so we talked about it and due to my husband and I not having our holidays off together due to his shift pattern and me working in a school we took the plunge and purchased a new caravan and have had fantasic holidays away this year. I don't see my sons they are out from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. and not one moan from them. I would advise this way of life to anyone.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello Brian,

I suppose I am one of the new names to post on this site, so I'll tell you when we first started caravanning.

I personally started caravanning at the age of 8 years old, some forty odd years ago. It was a week in Wales with a friends' caravan. Went with Mum and Dad until my mid teens, then moved onto other things!!

Got married and then bought a tent, two children and a dog and decided life under canvas wasn't that great, so then bought a caravan. 1968 Sprite Alpine and Ford Cortina 2000XL. A formidable outfit of it's time!!

Some twenty odd years later, several outfits behind us, and minus the children. We enjoy our caravanning so much it's like a drug.....you literally can't wait for the next fix.

Off again tomorrow......!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi our first try in a caravan was in 1966 at durdle dore dorset we had our 2 daughters with us it was a freinds van i don't know what make but gas lighting no loo just a sink a hob i must say we did'nt enjoy it much weather was poor and the army were practising we tanks nearly all night as the children got older we gave it another go thinking it was cheep holiday this is when we realy started to love vanning with the freedom our first van was a award we loved it and hav'nt looked back have tried camper vans and a motorhome but came back to the caravan. we have been to loads of places and met super people some of which have become good freinds did spain,portugal and france earler this year now looking forward to our next trip to europe early next year is'nt retirment good!!

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Hello Brian,

I suppose I am one of the new names to post on this site, so I'll tell you when we first started caravanning.

I personally started caravanning at the age of 8 years old, some forty odd years ago. It was a week in Wales with a friends' caravan. Went with Mum and Dad until my mid teens, then moved onto other things!!

Got married and then bought a tent, two children and a dog and decided life under canvas wasn't that great, so then bought a caravan. 1968 Sprite Alpine and Ford Cortina 2000XL. A formidable outfit of it's time!!

Some twenty odd years later, several outfits behind us, and minus the children. We enjoy our caravanning so much it's like a drug.....you literally can't wait for the next fix.

Wendy

Did you buy the Children from the same place as the tent???????

Sorry coudn't resist that one nearly as good as Tina's one about having nuptuals

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hello Brian,

chuckle chuckle!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, for years I'd wanted a motorhome to see all of this country because staying in hotels didn't appeal to me nor could you cover so much of the country. Two years ago after spending nearly 30 years in the Ambulance Service my back finally gave up and I was pensioned out. With my lump sum payout my wife and I decided to go ahead and buy a motorhome instead of paying some of the mortgage off. I set a price of

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
WE started because we wanted to go on holiday more often but could not afford even a very cheap static caravan holiday for more than one week a year.

We had a suitable tow vehicle ,and so we bought an old

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello Brian,

No....not so fortunate, I think in hindsight I would have returned them for a full refund!!!! LOL

May 4, 2005
Visit site
Just thought I'd bring this one back for the new guys on the Forum and for those who were just starting when they last posted ,how about an update....Brian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Just thought I'd bring this one back for the new guys on the Forum and for those who were just starting when they last posted ,how about an update....Brian
We started caravanning 30 yrs ago,we had 2 young kids and 2 labs and not a lot of money,We had tried tenting but scottish weather and tents are not a good combination.

Also facilities on sites were quite sparse compared to todays sites.

We bought our first van from a closing down sale at United British Caravans in Glasgow for

Aug 30, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

My Husband & I have just (28/10) brought our first caravan and have yet to use it!

But we brought it for 2 reasons... First, we've gone off flying, the stress of the airport, delays and the cramped seating, even long-haul jumbos. Second, we're fed-up with paying good money to stay in hotels/B&B's that are both noisy and not very clean.

So we decided that with a caravan we could create a home from home and enjoy our holidays!

Vicky

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

My Husband & I have just (28/10) brought our first caravan and have yet to use it!

But we brought it for 2 reasons... First, we've gone off flying, the stress of the airport, delays and the cramped seating, even long-haul jumbos. Second, we're fed-up with paying good money to stay in hotels/B&B's that are both noisy and not very clean.

So we decided that with a caravan we could create a home from home and enjoy our holidays!

Vicky
Hope you enjoy it Vicky which I'm sure you will.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Waht happened wasss...we were travelling back home in 1972 from a 2 week tenting holiday at Camping Ballena Allegre(?) S of Barcelona. The boys were hungry so we stopped somewhere in Europe to make a "fry up" and a "cuppa" on the 2 burner Camping Gaz stove. Everey time a "woofer" went past their slip stream blew the stove out!! frequently!!! Once we got home the tent went into the back of the garage and we bought a used Sprite Alpine. What bliss, a cooker that stayed alight, a bed for the chauffer to catch 40 winks on during the butty stops, and a fridge!! We have never looked back. We towed that Alpine all over the UK with a 1300cc Cortina - now that was caravanning.

Oct 11, 2005
Visit site
Great question, Brian. I've just bought my first caravan so I can try to replicate the happy memories I have of my youth for my 2 year old little girl. Simple as that! I'll let you know how I get on in 10 years time!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Brian,

My Mum and Dad "converted" a Morris Oxford Estate in 1961 by having swish curtain track all the way round inside and Mum made up the curtains.In their own way they must have been pioneers of car conversions. They had a piece of foam cut to fit the back. (They were only diddy) and I slept across the bench seat. They used to go to Scarborough on Saturday afternoon after their bakers shop closed and park on the pier. I seem to remember they had to time it so that the car park attendant on the pier had gone home because camping on the pier was a no-no!!!. I had a great time fishing at all hours. When I outgrew the front seat we bought a tent for me to sleep in and regularly toured Scotland.

I bought my first van in 1981, then the kids got fed up of it but now we've retired (and got rid of the kids) we're back into vanning. We have a Lexon CS and are planning our third foreign tour for this June/July

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS