Setting up Bailey 380/2 with permanent double bed and dinning area.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
One biggest gripes with out little Bailey is having to dismantle double every morning to eat. May have solved problem after remembering front drawers are removeable. Remove a couple bits of plastic on front wall stopping them being lifted up.

See photos.

Yet to put it to test over weekend and may need to use smaller camping table but looks promising. This won't work for every 2 berth but there are lot of older 2 berths from early 2000s that have these drawers and split seat swabs. No reason can't travel in this configuration, can still store stuff on floor under bed.

Won't be option for us if transporting ebikes. See my youtube video on how we do this.

View: https://youtu.be/pMCoMbU1o2A?si=5zS8sXB1iALMUa6y

Attachments

• 20231104_103508.jpg
    20231104_103508.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 8
  • double bed.jpg
    double bed.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 8
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately there are always pros and cons with all caravans, Personally Mrs H and myself could not be axxsed with sleeping on the front benches or make them up to a double bed every night. We went for a larger caravan.
BUT, surprisingly a few years ago Mrs H had a bad back and we slept on the made up front mattress, which turned out to be great. We went back to our original mattress and a soft over blanket type mattress topper from Dunelm. MEGA expensive memory foam mattress, was given away to JB1, s son.

Another problem with double beds in the front of caravans are breadcrumbs from the late night , cheese on toast. .
I bet this thread goes to nose weights. 😂

Reactions: Dustydog and Mel
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
We quite often use the two singles but they also require back rest swabs to end up in front of door. Luckily we have internal bathroom. In day mode never found space to be issue.

A 4 berth with fixed bed is on wishlist but trying to avoid changing tow vehicles which means options are limited. EBike transport is also issue, don't think transporting inside will work on lot of 4berths. Ideal caravan for us is Discovery 4-4L but don't want to buy new.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
A feature of newer motor homes is a drop down bed from the ceiling . If they offered this in small caravans, I would take a look. Swift did do one that folded down from the side but that was on an 8ft van and didn’t catch on.
Of course a drop down bed in a caravan would come with all sorts of weight and stability issues.

There you go Hutch, now this thread will go noseweight! 😈
Mel

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
A feature of newer motor homes is a drop down bed from the ceiling . If they offered this in small caravans, I would take a look. Swift did do one that folded down from the side but that was on an 8ft van and didn’t catch on.
Of course a drop down bed in a caravan would come with all sorts of weight and stability issues.

There you go Hutch, now this thread will go noseweight! 😈
Mel
Not sure I’d be happy with a high up heavy bed whilst towing 🙉.Too much head weight or is it a Hi-line model🥴

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Not sure I’d be happy with a high up heavy bed whilst towing 🙉.Too much head weight or is it a Hi-line model🥴
Hence my comment about weight and stability issues. May have a propensity to turn turtle 😂
Mel

Reactions: Dustydog
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Also increase in structural strength required would make for heavy caravan. Motorhomes are structurally stronger and have low center of gravity thanks to heavy, chassis with drivetrain and motor.
Have seen recent German caravan with drop down bed.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I wonder why someone hasn't come up with a built in inflatable bed system.

We've used self inflating air beds and they've been very comfortable.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We quite often use the two singles but they also require back rest swabs to end up in front of door. Luckily we have internal bathroom. In day mode never found space to be issue.

A 4 berth with fixed bed is on wishlist but trying to avoid changing tow vehicles which means options are limited. EBike transport is also issue, don't think transporting inside will work on lot of 4berths. Ideal caravan for us is Discovery 4-4L but don't want to buy new.
if you want a Discovery 4-4L why not buy a use one there are some in AutoTrader

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
One option is to buy in UK, do a europe trip and ship it back to NZ. Price difference to UK and NZ is £10,000, shipping is 2,500. That £7500 saving goes long way to paying for few months in europe.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
We have an Xplore 304. Marketing would like to convince you its 4 birth but in reality 3 and a bit ata push - but its ideal for the two of us.

Still have to put up the bed at the front but there is a seperate 'dining area' where we can eat, play games etc. I was in the top of the south island earlier this year and saw a similar 304 on sale at one of the dealers there.

Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Was on wish and viewed one. Bailey Discovery 4-4L would have similar layout when double bed is setup. Discovery has better kitchen ie more bench space. Not sure bikes would fit into 304 after measuring one. In theory 304 can have rear bike rack fitted but local dealer couldn't confirm if it is possible on 10yr vans. Would be OK for 1 ebike then mount 2nd bike in front of front locker. NB 2bikes on rear would be to heavy.
Discovery supports 2 bikes on the front which is big plus for us and can have MPTLM uprated.

Heard some mix stories on 304 about faulty bodywork, sides had to be replaced?.

With us trying to transport 2 ebikes on or in caravan is the big headache. Not putting then on a car roofrack or towbar extension. Could squeeze one in boot with seats down, but no room much else.

Motor home or campervan with bikerack or towbar is other option but that is lot more $$$ and has its own compromises.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
One option is to buy in UK, do a europe trip and ship it back to NZ. Price difference to UK and NZ is £10,000, shipping is 2,500. That £7500 saving goes long way to paying for few months in europe.
That a great option and great saving, and have a break while you are doing it enjoy

TRENDING THREADS