Setting up Fortuna USB GPS Receiver for Autoroute 2006

Feb 27, 2006
Visit site
I bought a Fortuna U2 USB GPS Receiver to use with my Acer laptop running XP Home.

When I first plugged the receiver into the laptop it went to ComPort 8 but did not work. I was informed that it would be better on the lowest possible port and reset it to ComPort 4 in the hope that that would make it work - but it didn't.

When I now try to Configure the GPS receiver in AutoRoute 2006 and try Scan to find the correct ComPort I get

Current Port:

COM4

Available Ports:

Communication Port (COM3) - No device found

Communication Port (COM4) - No device found

When I check in System / Hardware / Devices under Ports it shows Prolific USB to Serial Bridge (COM4)

I click on the lower (COM4) to accept it but still get the message shown below when I click on "Start GPS tracking"

"The GPS Receiver is sending messages, but they are not being recognised as NMEA 2.0-compatible. Make sure the GPS receiver input/output format is set to deliver NMEA 2.0-compatible messages at the correct baud (4,800 bps)"

Having set the baud rate correctly what else can I do please as there is no apparent way of ensuring the input/output is set to deliver NMEA 2.0-compatible messages?

Has anyone set one of these up successfully please - the reviews I have seen were very good.

Alun

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alun,

If you go to this site: http://www.expansys.com/forumoverview.asp

You will see a list under "Most Active Users", at the bottom of the list is a link to all makers, click onit, and you will find bothAcer and Fortuna forums, where your questions should be answered by people who have the knowledge you seek

Feb 27, 2006
Visit site
Alun,

If you go to this site: http://www.expansys.com/forumoverview.asp

You will see a list under "Most Active Users", at the bottom of the list is a link to all makers, click onit, and you will find bothAcer and Fortuna forums, where your questions should be answered by people who have the knowledge you seek
Thanks Damien - I have been on that web-site and registered to use it but have not been able to post my query. I have tried sending a message to the Forums Moderator but it has not appeared on the Fortuna List. I am probably being a bit thick, but it is certainly not clear to me how to post to the Forum, unlike This one which is so easy!

Alun

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alun,

When you go to the Expansys site, at the bottom of the main Technical Support page, you wil find the Log In boxes.

Once you have logged in, go to the forum you require, ie Fortuna, and click on the top message posted, which will open it up.

At the bottom of the page displayed, you wil find a "post new thread/quesion" box, click on that, and fill in the details of what you want to know,submit, and wait for replies,,,good luck.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alun, this may be way off the mark but if it works you owe me a pint. I had similar trouble with my Xda, I know there is a difference to a laptop but this might have a bearing on the problem, like I said it sounds familiar. Somewhere on your computer you will have a section for connections. For me its Settings/connections/Beam, find the icon for "Beam" click on that and you may get the option of "Receive all incoming beams", cancel that, you don't want it. Then try your gps again. If it's not a success just go back a put everything back to original, nothing lost nothing gained...except my pint!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Alun, this may be way off the mark but if it works you owe me a pint. I had similar trouble with my Xda, I know there is a difference to a laptop but this might have a bearing on the problem, like I said it sounds familiar. Somewhere on your computer you will have a section for connections. For me its Settings/connections/Beam, find the icon for "Beam" click on that and you may get the option of "Receive all incoming beams", cancel that, you don't want it. Then try your gps again. If it's not a success just go back a put everything back to original, nothing lost nothing gained...except my pint!

Feb 13, 2006
Visit site
Maybe I am missing something here, but if it is USB why is it finding Com ports. Does other USB equipment work OK on your PC. If so disconnect it and try the new equipment on that USB port. Seen this happen before but I cannot remember the quick fix.

Sorry

Feb 27, 2006
Visit site
Alun,

When you go to the Expansys site, at the bottom of the main Technical Support page, you wil find the Log In boxes.

Once you have logged in, go to the forum you require, ie Fortuna, and click on the top message posted, which will open it up.

At the bottom of the page displayed, you wil find a "post new thread/quesion" box, click on that, and fill in the details of what you want to know,submit, and wait for replies,,,good luck.
Many thanks Damian - I have now posted my message and hope for the right answers!

Regards

Alun

Feb 27, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Lol - I could not find any mention of Beams in my Settings or Connections. Alun

Feb 27, 2006
Visit site
Maybe I am missing something here, but if it is USB why is it finding Com ports. Does other USB equipment work OK on your PC. If so disconnect it and try the new equipment on that USB port. Seen this happen before but I cannot remember the quick fix.

Sorry
Hi Brian-Bear - all other USB equipment works fine on my laptop. My Vodaphone Connect Card, and TV Card all need a COM port to operate and work well.

Alun

Feb 27, 2006
Visit site
Try www.pocketgps.com
Thanks Chris

Have been to PocketGPS but the Forum comes up like this and so I can not send to Forum. Do You know how I can make it usable please?

-

-

Pocket GPS World- Forums

http://pocketgpsworld.com
en_GB

-

Another Clip-On Battery issue

http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=194260#194260
Just discovered exactly the same issue, thanks for the tip. Moved the battery around and it went from green to red. This was a new battery as I assumed the old battery was dead. Still its always h ...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts