Shogun SWB or LWB?

Jun 20, 2007
Visit site
We are about to take delivery of a new Bailey Senator Wyoming and need to upgrade from our Volvo S60 D5 to tow it, We are considering a Shogun 3.2 diesel about 2 yrs old and fancy the SWB as there are only 2 of us but have heard that it may be less stable and more prone to pitching than the LWB. Any thoughts?

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Phillip,

The LWB anyday. I tow an Elddis Superstorm (1900kg) with one and it's about as good as you can get. I recently had a conversation with a delivery driver who used a SWB to tow a trailer delivering cars, he reckond it was not very stable at times and much prefered the long wheel base vehicle for this purpose. The LWB also hold their value much better as they are more suited as family tugs especially with the 7 seat option.

Regards

Steve

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Phillip,

I tow with the current SWB Shogun, albiet a GDI, not the diesel. I have also towed with the Mk3 Shogun SWB and had a LWB Trooper for about 18 months so feel qualified to answer your question.

Firstly, the late model Shoguns are so "car like" to drive and are vastly superior to the "chassis type" of 4x4's as to be almost a pointless comparisom, at least far as a tow car is concerned, note, I am not talking about off road prowess here, which is a different subject.

Secondly , on pitching, the Mk3 did pitch quite a bit on poor surfaces and the Trooper markedly less. However, the current SWB displays hardly any pitch and is just in a different class - thoroughly comfortable and hardly ever getting upset by road conditions at all - the LWB is probably marginally better but you would have to do a back to back test to decide I think.

The SWB is more compact, slightly more economic due to less weight and is more nimble.

If you don't need the space or the weight then the SWB is OK.( the SWB is still circa 2t kerbwieght and will pull 2.8t)

the SWB takes two of us and a large dog and uncoupled has almost sports car performance. Go for it!

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Philip,

I owned a 3.2 short wheelbase Shogun automatic for 2 years and towed a Wyoming some 3000 miles with no problems at all. Excellent stability, plenty of power, and really comfortable. It held its price extremely well. Two years ago I bought a new 3.2 long wheelbase Shogun auto.I towed the Wyoming with it for 12 months. The long wheelbase Shogun is an excellent tow car. If I did not need the extra space inside the Shogun I would Be quite happy with the short wheelbase.If you do not need the extra space of the long wheelbase, having owned both and towed a Wyoming with both , then I would go for the short wheelbase. One advantage of the short wheelbase is, if you are reversing onto a tight pitch, the shorter overall length makes reversing easier. I now tow a Swift Conqueror with the Shogun. Great towcar.

Hamer

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Philip, I'm now on my 2nd swb shogun and have to say the prone to pitching issue must be a thing of the past. A friend told me he had heard all sorts of stories about older models, and asked my opinion about mine, so I gave him the keys and told him go and find out for himself.He came back and was so impressed he bought one a week later.Like you, there are only the two of us, so we dont need mini-bus seat proportions.Excellent tow-car,and everyday car. Ours is the 3.2 manual.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts