Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
The ultimate tow car

It bit pricey fuel wise, but

for the best you pay for it

Ignore the anti 4+4 i'ts sour grapes.
We have a Mitsubishi Shogun Equippe 3.3did, LWB, July 2001. It is a great tow car, we are now not towing and are selling ours if interested. It has done 38,000 miles with extras,

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I.m not impressed with stabillity when towing with mine. Any comments or advice would be welcommed.
Is yours a SWB? What tyres have you got on it? Offroad tyres are not particularly good for towing because they have less lateral stiffness.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You will find it a bit heavy on fuel - like all large 4x4's. If you intend to keep it a while it may be wise to consider a LPG conversion. If it is less than 3 years old you can apply for a Powershift grant that reimburses 80% (I think) of the cost.

However I did read somewhere that the grants have dried up due to the money allocated running out. Just goes to show how serious the politicians actually view the use of "greener" fuel. Even though my 4x4 was too old to be elligible I still recouped my costs in less than a year and have been enjoying cheap 4x4 motoring ever since.

As regards handling, all 4x4's wallow far more than a normal car. Consequently you cannot drive them like a Mini. If you do you have good chance of putting it on its roof. The handling can be much improved by uprating to gas shock absorbers but the large diameter tyres and long suspension travel means that they are totaly different drive to a normal car.

I find driving a 4x4 far better due to the better visability and the fact that I find I do not need to drive so fast. It is strange but when I had an Audi I drove it fast everywhere - with the 4x4 I seem to take a more relaxed attitude. It seems to work - I now have no points on my licence and my insurance premium is about one third of what it was for the Audi - despite both being group 13.

Hi,

sorry for the late reply, I bought a new Shogun 3.2 Tdi Lwb.Elegance in March 2003, this replaced an ageing Shogun. The latest Model is the best tow car I have ever owned. I have towed caravans for over 20 years with all types of vehicle.The benefits of using a 4x4 are too numerous to mention most covered in the other replies. The only "fault" with this car is the fuel consumption 20-21 Max.Towing a Swift Challenger 490 Lse.Dont be put off by the anti brigade, everyone who has been in this car either towing or solo has aspired to own one, even owners of the new "Soft roaders Bm's Volvo's Etc. Finaly in 2003. Writing in Pcm. Carl Rodgerson said "this is the best tow car I have ever driven". What more can be said. Eddie.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive, you are obviously very anxious to put your view across that being hit by a 2+ ton 4x4 at 30mph is no worse than being hit by a car at the same speed. I know which one I prefer being hit by!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
God you antis just can't leave it alone can you!

Given the choice if I had to choose yes I would like to be hit by a vehicle with the softest surface. But cars of all type are generaly soft on the inside not on the outside.

Daventura - All I said was I enjoyed the greater visibility - I made no inference re safety in my postings at all. You read what I said and once again because you anti's cannot stand to see anyone supporting 4x4's immedately assumed I had said something I did not.

What is the diference then between a Fiat Panda 4x4 and a Chrysler Voyager? One is a 4x4 and the other a large people carrier that only has drive to 2 of its wheels but that makes it better obviously.

My Freelander (yes I have two 4x4's on my drive so expect to be classified as part of the Anti Christ movement by you good people and have a burning cross stuck on my lawn any day now) has plastic deformable wings and "soft" deformable plastic bumpers. I recon it is as pedestrian safe as anything else. But lets not forget - a good driver and a responcible pedestrian should never meet - I know they do and when it does it is a tragedy. But it is one that can be avoided by being a good driver ( and one that can see as much as possible hence my support for tall cars 4x4 or whatever) - the type of vehicle matters little if you have an incompetant idiot behind the wheel.

As for Capt Kanga input the last couple of words accuratly describes his circumstances.

Heaven sake children - grow up - get a life - get out more and stop being so jealous of people like me because my toys are bigger tha yours.

LOL

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Clive, I cannot follow your logic on this one. Why do you not need to drive so fast in a 4x4, are you implying people tend to drive faster in proper cars like you used to do. This of course was not being the good driver that you are talking about in your argument (debate) about safe driving.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Guys.I would like to make a point here please!! at the end of my road yesterday an 88 year old man had what he called "abit of a do" behind the wheel! He mounted the pavement and hit a lampost head on,the car following said there were no brakelights he just kept the same speed,he didnt have a mark! GOD FORBID there was no one on the pavement at the time as the schools had just come out, what was he driving ? A little old vw polo!! A car is only as safe as who is behind the wheel !!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Guys.I would like to make a point here please!! at the end of my road yesterday an 88 year old man had what he called "abit of a do" behind the wheel! He mounted the pavement and hit a lampost head on,the car following said there were no brakelights he just kept the same speed,he didnt have a mark! GOD FORBID there was no one on the pavement at the time as the schools had just come out, what was he driving ? A little old vw polo!! A car is only as safe as who is behind the wheel !!!!!!
Tina, it was a good job that he was behind the wheel of a Polo and not a 2+ton 4x4!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I now know why 4x4 pilots have a superior look on their faces while driving their tanks ................ it is really a pained expression as they are squeezing their butt cheeks together so hard to prevent s**tting themselves as they try to negotiate a bend in the road!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Daventura - I am not surprized you cannot follow the logic of what I said because being an "anti" your mind is made up and not actually open to sensible debate.

I really do find this holier than thou attitutude of your "anti" brigade obnoxious. You are so certain that you are right and we are wrong all because we drive a vehicle that has an extra propshaft and axle which when towing anything makes it more stable and safer. Even a large 4x4 takes up no more room on the road than a modern people carrier and as for mpg, the BMW mini has worst urban mpg than a lot of 4x4's. It also has a particularly blunt front end - so why are you not campaining to get these removed from the roads?

The debate is as tiresome as you guys are - but at the risk of repeating the same old diatribe I will have another attempt to get you guys to AT LEAST admit that a) we all have a free choice and b) The 4x4 is a valid vehicle choice for people like me who live in the sticks and tow a wide range of vehicles.

Don't get me wrong - I am NOT saying that you have to live in the sticks to have a 4x4 - If I lived in a town I would still want and demand the right to own what I wish.

Many years ago I owned a citroen BX estate - super car great load area but when towing our horse box it left a lot to be desired. Any wet conditions the front driving wheels just began to loose grip. Wet grass !!! forget it. We also had an Audi (we had three over the years and loved every one but somehow the BX gave a more relaxed feel to driving compared to the Audi's - I don't know why but I always had to watch my speed more in the Audi's possibly because they were better made, quieter and a bit more powerful)

I borrowed a 4x4 - what a revalation - stable towing - ability to "creep" of wet grass using low range and dif lock.

I also noticed the IMMEDIATE BENEFIT of better vision.

I noticed as well that I did not drive it as fast as the Audi. It made me more relaxed - ten years after buying the Range Rover I still get a kick out of driving it.

On a serious note and I make no appology whatsoever for stating this - I believe in tolerance - truth not propaganda.

What happened in London yesterday, happened because fanatics decided that they were right and we were wrong and in their version of "truth" - this gave them the right to do such terrible things and the justification is a distortion of the writings of their religion.

If you are so certain that you are so absolutley right then all I thank my God for is that you have latched onto such a trivial belief.

If you are so certain you are absolutley right and others are wrong I feel nothing but pity for you as you have lost the ability to learn, develop and grow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts