Should I start backing horses?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have fetched the van from its storage site and got the car already for a trip up to the National Forest with our grandaughter. Because of other family commitments we were planning to set off around mid day on Sunday. Well, for the third time this year our planned travel day and direction has taken us right into a really bad weather forecast. I can stand rain but travelling in high gusting wind is not what I call a pleasureable experience and best avoided if possible. Given the Met Office forecast (probabably over egged) we have re-scheduled our trip; but given the probability of planning the travel days of our trips in conjunction with bad weather I think I might take up betting on the horses!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
According to the met office forecast the storm is expected to reach central England by tomorrow morning, the weather is calm in the Midlands now but I don't blame you for putting off your trip Clive.
The problem is that the met office seem to have some sort of an agenda, probably to promote the idea that 'climate change', 'global warming' or whatever they call it next when their previous theory is discredited is all Britain's fault and that we should pay through the nose for fuel and energy and despoil our contryside with wind farms while pretty much everywhere else just gets on with their lives as usual. This leaves us not knowing what to believe because they've cried wolf so many times.
For those who need to protect their caravan during bad weather Practical Caravan shared this advice on their Facebook page

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think that you are right on that one Parksy, as only a couple of weeks ago the weather forecasters on BBC where showing blue air moving down from the north, which was to turn UK much colder. In the event it was cooler air but only tending to reduce the temperatures to those more normal for this time of the year. But the way it was described almost had me out at the cars filling the sceenwash at 100% concentration!
Anyway we have re-scheduled our trip to the National Forest, the CL understood and so we look forward to an interesting visit. I expect its changed since I was a kid and used to cycle out from Leicester just to stare at the Thor missiles all ready to go at their base near Old Dalby!

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I hope that you have a lovely time when you do go Clive.
The Thor missiles will have gone now and probably the bases too but unusually for us who live a bit further south in the restricted airspace for B'ham airport, two low flying Apache helicopters in formation travelled across the region yesterday. Usually the only military aircraft that we see (or hear) in this area are the planes bringing wounded service personnell into Birmingham airport for transfer to the QE hospital.

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Parksy said:
I hope that you have a lovely time when you do go Clive.
The Thor missiles will have gone now and probably the bases too but unusually for us who live a bit further south in the restricted airspace for B'ham airport, two low flying Apache helicopters in formation travelled across the region yesterday. Usually the only military aircraft that we see (or hear) in this area are the planes bringing wounded service personnell into Birmingham airport for transfer to the QE hospital.

We came back from Porthcawl yesterday to West Midlands and the wind was really gusting in places. Even with a twin axle and ATC, you coudl feel the van jerking the Jeep from time to time. A bit of a white knuckle drive back so I would hate to try it on Monday if it is going to be as bad as they forecast.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
I but given the probability of planning the travel days of our trips in conjunction with bad weather I think I might take up betting on the horses!
How about Hurricane Ivan in the 13.50 at Chepstow today or even Chenai Wind in the 18.15 at Wolverhampton
smiley-smile.gif

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the tip I will check the results this evening. Then see is I can get into the time machine and wind back the clock.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Rob-T said:
otherclive said:
I but given the probability of planning the travel days of our trips in conjunction with bad weather I think I might take up betting on the horses!
How about Hurricane Ivan in the 13.50 at Chepstow today or even Chenai Wind in the 18.15 at Wolverhampton
smiley-smile.gif

hurricane Ivan came fifth out of eight. Any chance of an accumulator down the swanny. :)) see how Chenai Wind does. Had an unexpected outcome once with Wind in Mumbai!

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
Rob-T said:
otherclive said:
smiley-smile.gif

hurricane Ivan came fifth out of eight. Any chance of an accumulator down the swanny. :)) see how Chenai Wind does. Had an unexpected outcome once with Wind in Mumbai!

Maybe it was running into a head wind, that would have slowed it down.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Perhaps the time has come to combine two lovely hobbys - caravanning and small boat sailing. Just imagine the saving in mpg when going down wind with the spinnaker set on the caravan, although I do admit tacking may be more of a problem

Feb 9, 2009
Visit site
We are staying on CC site near Huntingdon and were planning to go to Newark on Monday morning. In view of the forecast we are staying in Huntingdon until at least Tuesday as I do not fancy motorway driving in the sort of weather due

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Rob-T said:
otherclive said:
smiley-smile.gif

Chennai wind came 7th out of 7. Guess I will just keep my would be bet on an extra nights stay in the National Forest!!

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
otherclive said:
I think that you are right on that one Parksy, as only a couple of weeks ago the weather forecasters on BBC where showing blue air moving down from the north, which was to turn UK much colder. In the event it was cooler air but only tending to reduce the temperatures to those more normal for this time of the year. But the way it was described almost had me out at the cars filling the sceenwash at 100% concentration!
Anyway we have re-scheduled our trip to the National Forest, the CL understood and so we look forward to an interesting visit. I expect its changed since I was a kid and used to cycle out from Leicester just to stare at the Thor missiles all ready to go at their base near Old Dalby!
You made the right choice., winds in Leicestershire area are begining to rise, although it's been very blustery all day.
You are showing your age. Thor missiles, three of them, watch them from my bedroom window all fueled up and ready to go, Cuben crises,1963, long gone. At RAF Melton Mowbray. Little Dalby is just to the south.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts