single axle versus twin axle

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi everybody.

We plan to purchase a new caravan next month. We are a family of 5,so we wanted something big.Our car is a volvo xc90 jeep,and should pull any thing really.

We need advice....

Do we go single axle or twin axle?

Many thanks.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Currently I have a twin axle, my first of this type, it had always been single axle version prior to this. Honestly I don't think it makes any great difference. My advice would be look for the size and layout of caravan that best suits your family's needs. If that caravan has a twin axle then that's the version you need but don't exclude other vans from your search just because they only have one axle.

My last van (single) was only about two feet shorter in length than present van.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi spirogyra

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that you are new to caravanning, and that may mean you are a relatively young driver. May I remind you that if you passed your driving test after 1st Jan 1997, you may not be licensed to tow the outfit you are considering.

If you are a 'young' driver, then you are limited to an outfit where the caravans MTPLM must be no more than the unladen weight of the car (i.e. less than 100% towing ratio) and the combined MAM of both car and caravan must not exceed 3500Kg Cat B on the licence.

MAM stands for Maximum Authorised Mass, and it has nothing to do with how much you actually put in the car or caravan, it is their theoretical maximum solo weights added together.

If you passed before Jan 97, then no problem you will have cat BE which has much higher limits .

If you are a young driver then you can obtain the +E extension to give you all the capacity you need.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Firstly as John has pointed out you should hold a B+E license which to those of use who passed our car test prior to 1997 came as an automatic entitlement.

I have towed both twin and single axle caravans and trailers over 33 years of driving. A single axle trailer is much easier to manouver on it's own as you have one axle which acts as a pivot point. A twin axle has two axles and 4 wheels in contact with the ground, so it then necessitates a car powered manouver. There are motor movers available for twin axle caravans at a cost. Stability wise a twin axle van is noticeably more stable as again you have 4 wheels in contact with the road trying to guide the van straight.

Given you already have a capable tow car, I would go the twin axle route which would also get you a bigger caravan which might not require an awning all the time.

When deciding, consider your towing ability, where your storing the van and how difficult it would be to reverse onto pitches.

But basically the choice is yours.

Good luck with your project and look at as many different layouts as you can to give you options.

ATB Steve L.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

Currently I have a twin axle, my first of this type, it had always been single axle version prior to this. Honestly I don't think it makes any great difference. My advice would be look for the size and layout of caravan that best suits your family's needs. If that caravan has a twin axle then that's the version you need but don't exclude other vans from your search just because they only have one axle.

My last van (single) was only about two feet shorter in length than present van.
Hi Rob-T

That's good advice to pick the layout that suits us best.

We thought that the single axle might be easier to manoeuvre,but the twin axle mighe be steadier on the road.

Or maybe there's no difference?

Thanks

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi spirogyra

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I get the impression that you are new to caravanning, and that may mean you are a relatively young driver. May I remind you that if you passed your driving test after 1st Jan 1997, you may not be licensed to tow the outfit you are considering.

If you are a 'young' driver, then you are limited to an outfit where the caravans MTPLM must be no more than the unladen weight of the car (i.e. less than 100% towing ratio) and the combined MAM of both car and caravan must not exceed 3500Kg Cat B on the licence.

MAM stands for Maximum Authorised Mass, and it has nothing to do with how much you actually put in the car or caravan, it is their theoretical maximum solo weights added together.

If you passed before Jan 97, then no problem you will have cat BE which has much higher limits .

If you are a young driver then you can obtain the +E extension to give you all the capacity you need.
Hi (Prof)John L,

We are late mid to late 40s!

But we are totally new to caravanning!

This will be our 1st caravan,and we would like to get it right!

That's why we need to know if single axle/twin axle was an important issue,or maybe it doesn't matter?

Our licence is fine,we checked.

Thanks.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Bit confused , do you have a Volvo or a Jeep, these are 2 completely differnt vehicles with differnt weights.
Hi Del,

Both!

It's a volvo and a jeep.

An xc90.

Our licence is fine.

So we were wondering if it mattered if we went for a single axle or a twin axle?

Thanks.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Firstly as John has pointed out you should hold a B+E license which to those of use who passed our car test prior to 1997 came as an automatic entitlement.

I have towed both twin and single axle caravans and trailers over 33 years of driving. A single axle trailer is much easier to manouver on it's own as you have one axle which acts as a pivot point. A twin axle has two axles and 4 wheels in contact with the ground, so it then necessitates a car powered manouver. There are motor movers available for twin axle caravans at a cost. Stability wise a twin axle van is noticeably more stable as again you have 4 wheels in contact with the road trying to guide the van straight.

Given you already have a capable tow car, I would go the twin axle route which would also get you a bigger caravan which might not require an awning all the time.

When deciding, consider your towing ability, where your storing the van and how difficult it would be to reverse onto pitches.

But basically the choice is yours.

Good luck with your project and look at as many different layouts as you can to give you options.

ATB Steve L.
Hi Steve L,

That's excellent advice and thanks very much.

This will be our 1st caravan,and we wanted to get it right.

We like the idea that the twin axle unit would be steadier on the road,but we can see how it would reverse differently etc.

Thanks

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I agree with Steve in Leo's points. In addition a major advantage to us in changing from single to twin was the reduction in tyre pressure.

Our single axle Osprey had a tyre pressure of 65psi, as we found a blow out at this pressure can cause a lot of damage.

Our Heritage is slightly heavier but the tyre pressure is down to 36psi.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I agree with Steve in Leo's points. In addition a major advantage to us in changing from single to twin was the reduction in tyre pressure.

Our single axle Osprey had a tyre pressure of 65psi, as we found a blow out at this pressure can cause a lot of damage.

Our Heritage is slightly heavier but the tyre pressure is down to 36psi.
Hi Clive,

That's something I never would have thought of.

Thank you very much.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Spirogyro Hi what others were trying to make clear was A twin axle van is nearly impossible to manhandle on to a pitch ect unless it has a motor mover (prefferably a twin axle mover) & if the van you buy does not already have one fitted it will cost you an extra

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
I changed from a Coachman 560/6 single axle to a Coachman 640/6 twin axle this year. I have found that I am much happier with the twin axle on the road, not that I was unhappy with the single axle just that now having the twin the differences in stability and the way it behaves on the road are very clear to me. The only downside is manouverablity which is just practice, for the first time ever I had to have a second go at reversing to where I wanted to be because of the slower reaction times. On this same point using the motor mover on the drive takes a bit more thought and planning on reaction times. The increased space and better layout for the two of us has been a bonus. I wouldn't hesitate in going down the twin axle route again in 3 years when I next change.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
We tow with an XC90 D5 184 bhp, our van is a twin axle Sterling Searcher (7.95m, 1900kg). The car handles it fine and gives a very stable tow.

OH has however been towing for almost 40 years and our vans have been progressively longer.

Are you confident that you can handle a large van? Most novices start with something smaller. A towing course would be a good idea.

If you need to manoeuvre the van in a confined space then as Steve said, a mover is a good idea, just remember that it will use a good chunk of your payload (30-60kg depending on model of mover). Some vans can have the weight plate uprated to allow a higher payload.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Spirogyro Hi what others were trying to make clear was A twin axle van is nearly impossible to manhandle on to a pitch ect unless it has a motor mover (prefferably a twin axle mover) & if the van you buy does not already have one fitted it will cost you an extra

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I changed from a Coachman 560/6 single axle to a Coachman 640/6 twin axle this year. I have found that I am much happier with the twin axle on the road, not that I was unhappy with the single axle just that now having the twin the differences in stability and the way it behaves on the road are very clear to me. The only downside is manouverablity which is just practice, for the first time ever I had to have a second go at reversing to where I wanted to be because of the slower reaction times. On this same point using the motor mover on the drive takes a bit more thought and planning on reaction times. The increased space and better layout for the two of us has been a bonus. I wouldn't hesitate in going down the twin axle route again in 3 years when I next change.
Dear Martin,

Thanks for that.

Steadiness on the road would be important to me as we are 1st timers.

Manoeuvering will take us a bit of practice either way!

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
We tow with an XC90 D5 184 bhp, our van is a twin axle Sterling Searcher (7.95m, 1900kg). The car handles it fine and gives a very stable tow.

OH has however been towing for almost 40 years and our vans have been progressively longer.

Are you confident that you can handle a large van? Most novices start with something smaller. A towing course would be a good idea.

If you need to manoeuvre the van in a confined space then as Steve said, a mover is a good idea, just remember that it will use a good chunk of your payload (30-60kg depending on model of mover). Some vans can have the weight plate uprated to allow a higher payload.
Dear Jennifer,

That's exactly our car. Ours is auto.

We need a large caravan to accommodate our family.

Yes,as a novice, I am generally confident of driving such a long vehicle, but terrified at the thought of changing lanes to leave vehicles join the motorway, or selecting a change of lane on a large roundabout etc.

Having never towed a caravan before, I hope to start with small journeys and get plenty practice.

Thanks again.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Spyrogyro

SA for last 30 years then TA last 3.

The TA imo is less susceptible to wind suction from large coaches. Otherwise , assuming correct loading has been observed I don't think there is any great deal of difference. Perhaps I may say the TA is marginally less prone to snaking but at the end of the day no one should ever dismiss SA's as less safe than a TA.

My SA's tyres were run at high pressures but then the tyres were designed to do so.Don't let that put you off.

I endorse all the other comments on here but will emphasise the importance of having a motor mover fitted to the TA. It's just too heavy to move it with human power.

You will need it , believe you me.

Cheers

Dustydog

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Hi Spyrogyro

SA for last 30 years then TA last 3.

The TA imo is less susceptible to wind suction from large coaches. Otherwise , assuming correct loading has been observed I don't think there is any great deal of difference. Perhaps I may say the TA is marginally less prone to snaking but at the end of the day no one should ever dismiss SA's as less safe than a TA.

My SA's tyres were run at high pressures but then the tyres were designed to do so.Don't let that put you off.

I endorse all the other comments on here but will emphasise the importance of having a motor mover fitted to the TA. It's just too heavy to move it with human power.

You will need it , believe you me.

Cheers

Dustydog
Hi Dustydog,

Thank you for your helpful remarks re tyres and mover.

It's clear at this stage that the motor moved is essential for the T/A.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Been towing now for over 20 years and during that time have gradualy gone up from a 14ft s/a 600kg van to a t/a 26ft 1700kg van. have to say that the current van a t/a Lunar delta is the most stable and well behaved van I hae had, however each time I have gone for a heavier van I have ensured that I have a heavier tow car and always keep well within the 80% ratio. Currently towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I would agree with most posts, if you are new to towing it could be worth starting with something a bit smaller and take a towing course. T/a are in my opinion more stable and less suseptible to cross winds, but you also have to mind they are a lot longer and require more road space when turning.

I van solo and agree a mover is a must, normally I can reverese the van in however in the rare event the van has to be moved of the car then there is no way I could move it.

Aug 2, 2009
Visit site
Dear Jennifer,

That's exactly our car. Ours is auto.

We need a large caravan to accommodate our family.

Yes,as a novice, I am generally confident of driving such a long vehicle, but terrified at the thought of changing lanes to leave vehicles join the motorway, or selecting a change of lane on a large roundabout etc.

Having never towed a caravan before, I hope to start with small journeys and get plenty practice.

Thanks again.
Ours is the Geartronic too, have been driving Volvo autos since 1972, would never have a manual gearbox now.

I can understand you would want a bigger van for 5 people, we are usually only 2, but we love the space and comfort in the Searcher, it has the fixed bed and full size rear shower room.

At present we are on a 4 month trip in Scandinavia, about 6500 miles so far. We are at our furthest north point now, just inside the Arctic Circle, and are here for 7 weeks, so not touring for all of the 4 months

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Been towing now for over 20 years and during that time have gradualy gone up from a 14ft s/a 600kg van to a t/a 26ft 1700kg van. have to say that the current van a t/a Lunar delta is the most stable and well behaved van I hae had, however each time I have gone for a heavier van I have ensured that I have a heavier tow car and always keep well within the 80% ratio. Currently towing with a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I would agree with most posts, if you are new to towing it could be worth starting with something a bit smaller and take a towing course. T/a are in my opinion more stable and less suseptible to cross winds, but you also have to mind they are a lot longer and require more road space when turning.

I van solo and agree a mover is a must, normally I can reverese the van in however in the rare event the van has to be moved of the car then there is no way I could move it.
Dear Del,

That's very helpful.

Thank you.

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
I'd been away from caravans for 15+ years and when looking round saw a caravan that was perfect, I know it must seem silly but I didn't even notice that it was a twin at first, but bought it anyway. I had exp in towing a twin axle horse trailer, but I was still a bit apprehensive. After using it a few times I really appreciate the twin axles and the extra space. I do have a mover fitted but still manouver with the vehicle as much as possible. Don't see any difference up to now, except it would be impossible to push/drag by hand!

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I'd been away from caravans for 15+ years and when looking round saw a caravan that was perfect, I know it must seem silly but I didn't even notice that it was a twin at first, but bought it anyway. I had exp in towing a twin axle horse trailer, but I was still a bit apprehensive. After using it a few times I really appreciate the twin axles and the extra space. I do have a mover fitted but still manouver with the vehicle as much as possible. Don't see any difference up to now, except it would be impossible to push/drag by hand!
Hi Davidnewname,

I think we are happy at this stage to find the layout suits us best whether its a single axle or twin axle.

IF its a twin we will need a mover for sure.

Thanks for your helpful advice.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Spiro

To reply to a post it's best to use the 'Reply To Topic' tab rather than the tab for 'Comments' which hides your replies

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts