Sites near Avignon

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Thinking of going to Avignon, Nimes, Arles Area at end of August. Which is the best of these to stay near. Site recommendation would be appreciated. Don't need all singing and dancing site.
Many thanks

Rob

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
They are all lovely - but quite different. Avignon is definitely more Provencal in 'feel' - and there are a couple of sites there, the one David mentions and L'Ile des Papes (which takes both Camping Cheques www.campingcheque.co.uk, or the ACSI card www.campingcard.co.uk from 25th August. Don't worry about 'full on' sites - at the end of August some sites become very quiet indeed. From either you can explore quite a wide area of Provence and even the Camargue - we stayed south of Arles and have gone up into the hills north of Avignon several times from there. Arles itself is a nice town, but is in Camargue country, which doesn't suit everyone though Les Beaux, Les Alpilles, and St Remy de Provence, plus the roman ruins at Glanum are all definitely worth a visit. We also went to the 'Courses Camarguaises' - bull-fighting where the bull doesn't get injured, but has 'ribbons' removed from his horns by the local teams - it was free and definitely worth seeing (though I'd never go to one of the 'Ferias' which are the awful ones where the bull is killed).
Nimes is different again - you're moving up into the Garrigue. Its a lovely town, with lots of roman buildings, a nice market, and a very cosmopolitan atmosphere. From there you can access the hinterland of the Ardeche, etc and the Pont du Gard. There is a municipal site in Nimes, (not recommended) and several sites to choose from near the Pont du Gard but you might like to take a look at Camping Mas de Reilhe at Sommieres, which is a lovely Camping Cheques sites, (not a large site) which takes Camping Cheques from 16th August (www.campingcheque.co.uk) and does 7 nights for 6, and offers fully serviced pitches for no extra charge after the 26th August.
If it were me, and I couldn't choose, then I'd be inclined to do a few days in each area - which is very much easier on French sites, especially at the end of August, you can just tour as you please, with no advance booking - and if the site, the weather, or the area doesn't suit, you can simply move on after as many or as few days as you wish.

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Many thanks, need to get the grey cells working now. We always go towards the end of August and have never booked anything in advance in over 15 years. We have been as far south as Carcassone in the west but have never done Provence. Your help is appreciated.
Rob

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob,

We stayed at St. Remy de Provence a couple of years or so ago and loved it. There are 3 (I think) campsites in the Caravan Club "bible" and we were within walking distance of the town. We toured all the sites you mentioned and more and found it an excellent base. St. Remy is a very pretty place and steeped in history & culture, if you like that kind of thing.

Jo

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Thanks Jo,

On a slightly different note how do most folk break the trip up in terms of overnight stops on the way to Provence. We've been as far as the Lot Valley but this trip will be a bit further. I usually do around 100 mile into France on my first day as I will have already have done 200 plus in this country to get tothe tunnel.

Best wishes to you all

Rob

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Rob,

Since both of us drive and, when she comes with us so does our daughter, we take it in turns to do 2 hour stints and then have a short break at change-over time. We then stop when we have had enough - usually after a couple of sessions each. If we are on the motorway, we get off and head for the nearest site which sounds suitable, or otherwise stop at the next town and use the municipal. In general, we always reckon to stop by about 4pm at latest. I have booked sites ahead before we leave the UK, but often find that our timings are adrift one way or the other. It's useful to do this if you have a crossing which gets you ionto the continent later in the day, though. Coming back, we have never bothered and just take our chance. Either way, we have never had a problem getting a pitch for the night, even in high season. Mind you, we have also seen some interesting sites!

Jo

TRENDING THREADS