Sites near the Camargue

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am proposing to stay at a site near Arles the last week in May as a centre to explore the Camargue and areas to the north. All the sites in the Caravan Club Touring Handbook for that area mentions mosquitoes. Has anybody any experience there in the time of year I am going, are they bad? Can any site be recommended that is within day trip of the Camargue that is free of the devils.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think that you'll find Mosquitoes in almost every area of France, obviously worse in some areas than others. They are pests, but if you use a good repellant, keep your flyscreens in use at all times, and use a 'plug in' 'tablet' in the van you shuld be OK. Woodland Fresh, by Avon, comes highly recommended (not as a site, but as a repellant). Sites inland, and well away from water are the best, but there's nearly always some small, stagnant, pool nearby where they breed and sneak up on you in the middle of the night.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm afraid the Camargue area of France is infested with mosquitoes.

Just keep the fly screens down and don't go outside at night without switching the lights of first. Take plenty of repellent spray and tablets for plug in machines.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We stayed at Stes Marie de la mer a couple of years ago and have to agree the mosquitos were pretty bad (and the ants.....). But everything else was wonderful!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have stayed at Le Grau de Roi on the coast for the last two years and not had a problem with mosquitoes. Have a look here http://www.davidklyne.plus.com/Boucanet.htm I think you have the accept that the Camargue is a rather large swamp!!!! So its not unlikely that you get the little beggers. Avon Skin so Soft spray oil is quite effective and its got quite a nice smell.

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We stayed about 5 miles from Camargue near Vauvert at the same time of year in 2002, no mosquitoes! Sorry do not have campsite details to hand but it was near Vauvert and was newly english owned, quiet and not busy site, with plenty of shade. Should be a web site by now

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts