Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I know we're all looking at sunshine breaks, but has anybody taken their van skiing. I dimly remember reading an article about it way back when but the details are a little vague. As we have never skied before we thought it might be nice to try but I'm not ready to give up on my summer holiday just yet. Looking for somewhere relatively easy to get to (we have a series 2 disco) and ideal for novices ( I don't mind being laughed at but would at least like to stay on my feet for part of the week) Also we will only be going for max. 10 days and want there to be plenty of snow. I know it's a lot to ask but all suggetsions gratefully received. Thanks

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Clair,

We have taken the van skiing in the past but you really need to be geared up for it. You didn't mention whether you plan to go abroad or to Scotland but the principal is the same except overnight temperatures are generally a lot colder in the Alps.

If you want guaranteed snow you had better go abroad. Remember that snow chains are compulsary in the Alps even with a 4x4.

I installed an extra water point under the toilet sink so that the Aquaroll could be set up in the shower tray to prevent freezing. The external point is then plugged off. I also added some anti freeze to the toilet flush. You need to change your gas system to propane and may need an insulated cover for the gas bottle if it gets really cold.

The biggest problem is getting ski jackets, trousers, gloves etc dried. Some sites in the Alps have drying rooms but generally sites in Scotland don't. If you clear out all the unecessary gear from your caravan you can dry boots and gloves in the external lockers providing that the blown air system has vents in these lockers - mine does. Jackets can be hung in the toilet if dripping wet otherwise just hang in the wardrobe and the heat from the Carver heater will dry them. We kept the wardrobe for outdoor clothes only and put shirts etc in the overhead lockers so as not to pick up damp off the jackets. We used to leave our electric heater on 24 hrs a day as the van really will freeze up fast without it.

If you can do all of the above it's really no problem and great fun. There is a good site at Bourg Saint Maurice in France which gives you access to Les Arcs and La Plagne ski areas.

In Scotland the CC site "Invercauld" is within easy driving distance from both Glenshee and the Lecht ski centers. Also Glenmore Caravan Park is situated below the Cairgorm ski center.

If needed you can hire skis from all these areas.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Mac Thanks for that we're looking at the Alps, our van is a Buestner and from people we've spoken to previously they seem to bear the cold well - I do have two extra heaters though so we should be warm enough. I'm looking at the site you suggested, do you know if they have a drying room - as there are 6 of us it is a must. Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts