Slip roads

Apr 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi

Off to France for first time (with van) in August. When I've been before I've always noted that the entry slip roads onto the main roads are shorter and narrower than ours.

When I'm solo in a car and joining a road, then a bit of speed negates the problem allowing me to enter the road at the same speed as the traffic. But with a caravan??? How does one do it safely? Plus, I will be sitting on the 'wrong' site of the car to see all. And at night....in the rain.....lost......

What if I am the one on the main road and somebody else is joining, and I can't change lane for them. Do I plough on or brake heavily, then they brake, next minute we would both be standing still (I've NEVER done this BTW).

Thanks

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
If you're thinking of your first night, coming off the ferry, and then getting to the service area, then you've probably only one slip road to contend with, and it's likely that the road will be quiet anyway, with only the traffic coming off the ferry. Generally, though, you need to do it with care, preferably with an alert passenger, and adjusting speed, etc., just as you would in this country. You'll usually find that drivers are more accommodating and do pull over for you.

I tow our caravan in France, and it's the only bit which does still make me nervous, though! Just take care - and definitely DON'T brake suddenly!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Good advice from Val. Make sure your (UK) near side extension mirror is clean and correctly adjusted, passenger window clean, signal in plenty of time and accelerate as much as you can to match the speed.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I have found the same in Spain on the main coastal route, where the slip roads are barely more than T junctions in many places. This is the source of accidents for solo drivers, never mind any plucky towers!

I cannot reacll many places in France where this presented a problem when accessing carriageways or motorways. Clearly you are approching the traffic 'blind' side so extra care is needed both by the driver (well adjusted mirrors essential!) and the front seat passenger.

In general the French autoroutes are MUCH less congested than UK, have regular 'aires' for pulling off the road for a break, and put our motorway services to shame.

Good luck!

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ian

The same rules apply there as hear.

The slip road like here is a giveway, so if you can't pullover for them they stop.

Just do the same as you would normally do M.S.M, I find there slip pretty generous on the whole.

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
I've never noticed slip road lengths being any different in France to the UK.

I'd much rather tow in France than the UK - the roads are much quieter, and while the French do drive fast, they seem to be much better at changing lanes, and filtering in alternately. Maybe it's because they have a lot of 2 lane motorways and you don't get middle lane or outside lane hogging like in the UK.

But, the rules are the same as the UK - the slip road is a give way. Remember that in France, if someone flashes their lights, it doesn't mean they're letting you in - it means the opposite!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts