Small caravan help

Jan 9, 2006
Visit site
Hello, I'm after a little help in finding a small two berth caravan. I'm new to the world of caravans and at the minute I'm only aware of the Eriba Puck. Can anyone help and advise of similar sized two berth caravans. Also where is the best place to source 2nd hand caravans?

Thanks

Jan 9, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Richard. I did more searching last night and found the whole Teardrop industry!!! How did I miss that. Thanks for the link I hadn't come across these but I'd found the T@B. Before I knew about T@B etc I was thinking more on the lines of similar size to the Eriba Puck. Do you know of any other Teardrop caravans like T@B that have the cooking inside?

G

Adrian,

You may also want to have a look at the Triogano range of pop tops. They are easy to tow and much lightter than normal vans. However, the choice is up to you. Don't forget some of the Eriba's can be on the heavy side, even though they are small vans. It is the quality that weighs them.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Adrian,

Eriba (Hymer) make a whole range of pop-tops, from the small Puck at 500kg, through the Familia (2 or 3 berth), to the Triton and Troll (2, 3 or 4 berth)

A Puck can be towed by a Toyota Yaris, a Golf TDI (or similar) is good for the rest of the range. Build quality, efficiency and longevity are first class - tubular steel and aluminium is used where other vans use softwood.

Take a look at wWw.eriba-amiga.co.uk for an overview by friends and owners. A 1997 Eriba Familia Duo (2 berth) has just been placed on the "For Sale" pages.

Robert

G

Adrian,

You haven't mentioned the size of your proposed tow car. As a beginner it is a good idea to try to tow a maximum gross weight no higher than 85% of your car's kerb weight.

As Rob has mentioned, Eriba's are well built vans, however, they do have a unique styling which does not always suit everyone. The roof elevates and has canvas sides, which can be cold in winter. They also can have limited space above the seats due to the roof and head banging can be a problem. The Dutch love them, but they tend to live outdoors more than we do in the UK.

I would suggest you either try to visit a few shows, or visit as many dealers as you can, before making a choice. Don't pick the first one you see, just in case you have later regrets.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
The "canvas" that forms part of the pop-top is quite misleading, it's actually a breathable, waterproof multi-layer fabric with a separate inner insect net.

Last April, we had a long weekend at York when the night time temperatures were -5C or lower. We slept with our Eriba Triton roof up and the canvas vents closed, a couple from the midlands had their roof down, and a couple from Scotland slept with the roof up and all the vents open.

Robert

Jan 9, 2006
Visit site
Thanks for your help. I'm off to have a look at your suggestions. No doubt I'll be back for more advice about where's the best place to pick up used vans etc

Cheers for now

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Adrian,

Whatever you decide to buy, good luck - and if you find it difficult to locate what you want in the UK - consider buying from Holland - both cheaper and a much larger pond to fish in.

Robert

May 10, 2005
Visit site
Adrian

Have you looked at the Freedom caravans? They are small and very lightweight. I saw one on a site last summer. Two berth (two single or make into a double bed) with kitchen (sink, grill and two rings, gas fridge) toilet cubicle. The lady said she's recently bought it (from an ad in her local newspaper) for

Sep 7, 2005
Visit site
Adrian

Have you looked at the Freedom caravans? They are small and very lightweight. I saw one on a site last summer. Two berth (two single or make into a double bed) with kitchen (sink, grill and two rings, gas fridge) toilet cubicle. The lady said she's recently bought it (from an ad in her local newspaper) for

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts