Smart Electricity Meters

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
That’s a wide range, what is required to take advantage of the two lower priced tariffs. Are they geared to having solar and or battery storage. Otherwise why would anyone choose the more expensive tariffs.
Inteligent Go is only available to EV drivers with certain cars or chargers.

Use the menu to click on "Tariffs at a glance" for an overview of the tariffs available.

Agile is open to anyone, but exposes you to 30 minute variable market rate pricing . If you have some way of load shifting away from the peak price times (16:00 to 20:00 - @GUMPY will correct me) then you can take advantage of very low and even negative costs where you are paid to use electricity.

Tracker is open to anyone, has a moving daily price, and can save you lots - that is seriously worth exploring.

Octopus Cozy is a time of day tariff designed for heat pumps. My time of day usage is totally off line with that tariff so it looks very expensive.

There is a dedicated tariff for battery owners - Flux - which also is focused on time shifting.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Inteligent Go is only available to EV drivers with certain cars or chargers.

Use the menu to click on "Tariffs at a glance" for an overview of the tariffs available.

Agile is open to anyone, but exposes you to 30 minute variable market rate pricing . If you have some way of load shifting away from the peak price times (16:00 to 20:00 - @GUMPY will correct me) then you can take advantage of very low and even negative costs where you are paid to use electricity.

Tracker is open to anyone, has a moving daily price, and can save you lots - that is seriously worth exploring.

Octopus Cozy is a time of day tariff designed for heat pumps. My time of day usage is totally off line with that tariff so it looks very expensive.

There is a dedicated tariff for battery owners - Flux - which also is focused on time shifting.
1600-2000 is worst case scenario normally 1700 to 1900 is the real peak rate on Agile.
Flux is ok if you don't want to bother playing the Agile game but cost me more last winter so this year I am staying on Agile.
Tracker is good but you do have the risk that prices can go up above the fixed rate. I was on Tracker for gas but I have a twitchy feeling that prices are going to rise above the present fixed level and Fixed rates will be going up or being withdrawn as well so I fixed last Monday.
With the tariffs available it's all about playing the game to get the best results, cheapest prices.
Keeps my brain active looking at the permutations that are possible.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I'm with Octopus but can't get a Smart Meter as no coverage on my area. About 5km down the road they can get a Smart Meter but it acts dumb. A couple more km further on they work as they should.

The. DDC network needs improving since a lot of people are losing out with not being able to access Smart Tariffs.

Maybe as time goes on they'll think about WiFi enabled meters although I'd be a little wary because of security issues.

Reactions: Tobes
Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
1600-2000 is worst case scenario normally 1700 to 1900 is the real peak rate on Agile.
Flux is ok if you don't want to bother playing the Agile game but cost me more last winter so this year I am staying on Agile.
Tracker is good but you do have the risk that prices can go up above the fixed rate. I was on Tracker for gas but I have a twitchy feeling that prices are going to rise above the present fixed level and Fixed rates will be going up or being withdrawn as well so I fixed last Monday.
With the tariffs available it's all about playing the game to get the best results, cheapest prices.
I am on the gas tracker, and am sticking for now, esp as the cap jumped to 6p. I might regret it in about 2 months :LOL:

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Octopus fixed tariffs have no change penalty - it's worth looking into.
To use - open the page via the link in Chrome or Firefox (Safari does not seem to work).
Click on the three lines at the top right to open the menu
Click on "compare tariffs" option. - this will take you to the "fill in the user" page.
Click on "fill in" and it will open a form.
Open a new window and log into your Octopus account.
Click on "menu - my account".
Under the "Hi xxx" at the top left is your account number - put this in the account number box.
Clicl on "personal details" and scroll down until you see "developer settings" and click "API Access" click on the "API Key" and it will copy to the clipboard, paste this into the API key box in the app.
Submit this data.
You should see your current tariff and the cheapest tariffs you can have access to.
Clicking on the menu and "dashboard" should give you all the information on your account.
Brilliant as your description made it a lot easier. Tracker and Agile seem to offer better rates than our current tariff, but I cannot find an explanation why it is better or whether it is a fixed rate or not bearing in mind we have a heat pump? Tracker is the lowest of all the options, but I do understand it can be volatile.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
We looked at Cozy, but it did not seem to suit us. With our heat pump we have heating from 5am until 9am and then again from 4pm until 10pm. Sometimes at midday if it is a very cool day, we have it running from about 12pm - 2pm.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Brilliant as your description made it a lot easier. Tracker and Agile seem to offer better rates than our current tariff, but I cannot find an explanation why it is better or whether it is a fixed rate or not bearing in mind we have a heat pump? Tracker is the lowest of all the options, but I do understand it can be volatile.
Tracker and Agile are both variable rate tariffs. Agile is VERY volatile and changes every 30 mins. Tracker is stabilised day by day based on the weather and predicted wholesale costs. Windy days are cheaper than still days.

Both give the opportunity to save a lot of money (if you stay away from expensive times) but _can_ end up more than a fixed rate. Playing with the "tariff Hopping" feature and selecting your current tariff vs tracker or agile can show you how it varies across the year.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Tracker and Agile are both variable rate tariffs. Agile is VERY volatile and changes every 30 mins. Tracker is stabilised day by day based on the weather and predicted wholesale costs. Windy days are cheaper than still days.

Both give the opportunity to save a lot of money (if you stay away from expensive times) but _can_ end up more than a fixed rate. Playing with the "tariff Hopping" feature and selecting your current tariff vs tracker or agile can show you how it varies across the year.
Thanks. Think I will stick with the fixed rates for now and monitor it over the next few days. At present it si showing Agile as over .40p a kwh, but this morning it was down to just under 12p per kwh.

Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
Agile works for me as I have a reasonable sized 11.6kW battery which means if there are no decent rates I can survive without the grid for 24hrs.
To make it work I have to watch various sites that predict ahead what's coming up rate wise with confirmation from octopus at 4pm the day before.
An example of the volatility over the coming 48 hrs

1000012553.png As you can see there is a peak now of about 37p and a peak tomorrow about the same time of 41p. Conversely at 3am tomorrow morning there is a dip to about 6p but Friday early morning is predicted to be 13p, that shows how volatile it all can be.

Swapping tariffs is simple I just send octopus a direct message on Twitter/X and it's actioned within an hour and we get email confirmation.
One thing to be aware of is that the cost of a smart tariff is subject to an algorithm, which means that for example a tariff taken out last year might not be paying the same price as one taken out this year despite them both having the same name.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Thanks. Think I will stick with the fixed rates for now and monitor it over the next few days. At present it si showing Agile as over .40p a kwh, but this morning it was down to just under 12p per kwh.
Agile is _always_ expensive between 5pm and 7pm, artificially so. It's the peak period and Octopus add a cost boost to it in that time period. If you can avoid that period its can be much cheaper.

Tracker is the tariff I would be looking at. It has no peak period loading, but more closely follows the base price.

Clicking on the menu and "tariff hopping" and then setting tariff 1) to your fixed tariff and tariff 2) to tracker will give you an idea of what it may be like over winter.

If the dotted line (tracker) goes above the green line (your tariff) then for the historical data, it was more expensive on tracker in that period.

Reactions: GUMPY
Oct 11, 2023
Visit site
The tariffs are _not_ the same. They can be much cheaper especially if you pick one tailored to your particular usage pattern. Smart meters record your usage in 30 min windows, allowing your provider to charge you in a very granular fashion. If the meter fails to upload the reading data to the cloud, or the cloud fails to pass it on to the supplier, and it cant be retrieved (which is very rare), the supplier will charge you at the non-smart tariff that you were originally sign up with for the days (or sometimes hours) where data is not available.

My neighbours were on the standard Octopus or E-On tariff and moved to the Octopus tracker tariff. It changes price every day based on the prevailing wholesale price of electricity. Much cheaper (in general) than that standard variable tariff. Same for gas.

My latest bill looks like this. Note the average rate per kWh charged...

View attachment 7730
Wow 1133.4 kWh for a month, for a full year I only import 3200 kWh maximum, however I export 3000 kWh.

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Wow 1133.4 kWh for a month, for a full year I only import 3200 kWh maximum, however I export 3000 kWh.
There are between 3 and 6 of us here though, depending on the day of the week! But yes - its a lot!

We generate about 2.4MWh a year (average 200kWh a month) , and use basically all of it!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts