Smoker for Cadac

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
After years of resistance finally bought a Cadac. Well aware this is not a BBQ but merely an expensive outdoor grill - hence the extended wait time before taking the plunge! .

The "proper" (although gas) BBQ now at the tip, was covered in grease and filth but provided, for my taste, a great smoky cooking experience.

Cadac sell a "smoker" (a stainless can with holes) to create a smoky environment under the cooking lid.

Just wondering if anyone has used this "extra" and how good has the experience been.

The wood chips seem very expensive and has anyone tried the chips created by an arborist from the usual range of hardwood trees? I'm sure the purist would be shocked by any suggestion of using chippings created from a mixture of hardwood trees rather than pay stupidly high prices for apple or oak chips bagged up in plastic bags sold specifically for a BBQ!

And yes, a charcoal BBQ will always provide the best authentic taste but I've yet to find any camp site here or particularly abroad where one can be used.

Views from the multitude of Cadac apostles warmly welcomed.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have small Cadac curved one, it was only around £10 and I buy chips online wherever they seem cheapest. When we first had it I tried various types of chips but to be honest neither myself or “ the clan” could discern any real difference. But it does give a smokier taste to whatever you are cooking. Like you though our charcoal Dancook BBQ gives a smokier taste without wood chips.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I have a very old Cadac, probably 15 year, that is on its last legs, I have tried smoke chips with it, old Tobacco oblong tins, filled with wood chips with holes in the lid and wood chips wrapped in tin foil, nothing really seemed to work.

But a friend pointed me in the direction of "Smokey Joe" BBQ sauce, which worked surprisingly well, just brush it on meat about 5 minutes before finishing cooking and all was well.

Reactions: otherclive
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our SIL bought the Ninja one where you add the wood chips which are not cheap. I must admit you cannot even taste the difference.

However way back we used to throw stinkwood chips on the charcoal fire and it did make a difference. Same with yellow wood and oak chippings which we got free.

Now stinkwood chippings are worth a fortune.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our SIL bought the Ninja one where you add the wood chips which are not cheap. I must admit you cannot even taste the difference.

However way back we used to throw stinkwood chips on the charcoal fire and it did make a difference. Same with yellow wood and oak chippings which we got free.

Not much use on a Cadac though. Unless maybe putting the chips in the Grease/ water trough.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Slightly off thread, but when working in India, we had a new helicopter hanger, "Blessed" by the local chap, bonfire in the middle of the hanger, burning "Sandle Wood" smell was fantastic. Health and Safety were sent away but we did have the fire service in attendance.

Reactions: Buckman
Aug 12, 2023
Visit site
Trying to turn Cadac into smoker is lokely to add to cleanup . Being easy to clean is big plus for Cadac. On negative it needs to be cleaned before packing away unlike other barbecue with can be thrown in ute tray or front locker as is.

We bought Cadac because it was so compact, light and easy to transport in clean carry case. I do think burner is underpowered especially in windy conditions.

Reactions: Hutch
Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for responses - appreciated.

We're completely new to the world of Cadac as you may have gathered. Can't see any need to invent the wheel when forum members have invented their "Cadac "wheel" years ago.

We were told different woods make a different smell on a wood-burner - I'm sure they do but I would expect smoke to up the chimney so irrelevant!

However, the Cadac is "clean" as trevormonty points out and we are coming from the grubbiest old BBQ that ever existed. Just wondering if popping some wood chips (of ANY variety) would benefit the cooking process.
Might be worth spending a fortune on apple or oak etc if so but not getting strong recommendations for "smoking" so far which is interesting.

Perhaps need to resign myself to "outdoor grilling" rather than smokey BBQing.

At least I'll be able to put the thing away without smearing grease over everything. Must say though; I very much doubt I will ever use the bag!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I doubt that, mind was cleaned for the first couple of years, then cleaning between packing away , became rarer.
It is still good though.
IMG_20230612_121330_6.jpg
IMG_20230612_121309_256.jpgIMG_20230612_121340_3.jpg

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
The best thing we did when we had ours was to spray it with Mr Muscle oven cleaner after using it to get it clean. Like I said on the other channel, we now use an electric hot plate but my wife marinates the meat/fish with spices and puts everything in a sandwich bag overnight.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
But I get all those love smells from years of Cadacing, by not cleaning it.
Goes into a bag,
Last morning breakfast is normally poached eggs, with bacon , on toast. And an Orange. And any Stornoway Black pudding, that's left over.

Reactions: GaryB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
For many years in SA we had the Cadac skottle, but it was only used for making breakfast and definitely not for BBQ'ing meat. When we got the caravan here we bought another skottle, but a hassle cleaning it on site so consigned to the garage. Most CLs did not have washing up areas.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I doubt that, mind was cleaned for the first couple of years, then cleaning between packing away , became rarer.
It is still good though.
View attachment 6627
View attachment 6626View attachment 6628

Must say that's a REAL cooking thingy! Full of admiration since almost reminds me of the BBQ we've just thrown out! I'm sure my Cadac will mature into a thing of splendor to sit back and admire just like yours has. Love the pics Hutch.

May 10, 2020
Visit site
I would never be without my cherished CADAC. Such a versatile piece of kit. Cooks breakfast in Wales and lobsters in France but smoke ??? No. For that you need a charcoal fire and for camping/ caravaning you won’t better a Weber “go anywhere grill”. Compact and very portable. Down side is that it’s great for two good steaks or eight burgers but not much more due to the grill size. Utube is very informative.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts