Smoking Ban

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Great for the likes of the non smokers but how is the Government going to raise the revenue from tobacco sales? The amount lost in revenue will be far more than the amount saved on the national health. This was one reason why this country phased in the advertising ban in F1 motor racing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
65% of the public are non smokers , surely their opinion counts.

Does the tax revenue from smokers cover the cost to the NHS?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I think the ban on smoking in eating places is long overdue. I am a non-smoker who did smoke for some 20 years in a previous life but my GP made me see sense following diagnosis of a smoking related illness (thank goodness)haven't smoked for over 30 years now and find it incredible that despite all the health warnings, people still do it!

It is very noticeable that the majority of smokers have no conception of the lack of consideration they display when lighting up whilst others are still eating in close proximity. I am in favour of a ban, but fail to see just how it will be policed? A bit like the hunting, those that want to, will find a way of subverting it!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No disrespect Gooner but most of the anti smoking protesters are people who have previously smoked. I do enjoy the occassional cigar with a glass of whiskey at home but am not a habitual smoker or one who frequents pubs, etc.

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
I am not bothered whether people smoke or not, (as long as they don't blow the smoke over me deliberately), each to their own. I used to smoke but gave up quite easily.

If the government are that worried about people smoking, surely the answer would be to stop making the things!! - but of course they won't do that 'cos of all the money they would lose out on.

Wish they would leave people alone and tackle issues that really matter. What will they want to ban in public places next? I dread to think.

Lolly x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No disrespect Gooner but most of the anti smoking protesters are people who have previously smoked. I do enjoy the occassional cigar with a glass of whiskey at home but am not a habitual smoker or one who frequents pubs, etc.
So the proposed ban wont bother you ?

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
The Irish didn't seem to have a problem when we were there last year.

An establishment owner and the person smoking can both get fined about 2000 euros! So no one smokes, even a camp site owner stood outside his office for a ***!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I am not bothered whether people smoke or not, (as long as they don't blow the smoke over me deliberately), each to their own. I used to smoke but gave up quite easily.

If the government are that worried about people smoking, surely the answer would be to stop making the things!! - but of course they won't do that 'cos of all the money they would lose out on.

Wish they would leave people alone and tackle issues that really matter. What will they want to ban in public places next? I dread to think.

Lolly x
I agree

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We were in Ireland just two months after the ban came into force.For us it meant that we could sit in pubs and enjoy the "craic" which we couldn't do before because of Herslf's asthma. However, as one old man pointed out,the craic wasn't so good now cos just as it got going, someone went out for a ***! This also applied to cards, dominoes etc.the man whose turn it was always seemed to be having a smoke! On one Saturday night/Sunday morning there were more people in the car park than in the pub.Having said that,I'm not at all sure about the ban.I accept all the arguments.Both Herslf and I are reformed 60 day people(how we ever afforded it I don't know), but what happened to freedom of choice?

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I think freedom of choice shouldn't come into it if you are risking someone elses health. I am a former smoker who saw the light and they say ex smokers are the worse. My wife nor my children ever smoked but the thought of the damage I have probably done to them from my selfish attitude of smoking fills me with remorse. The only choice my wife had at the time was divorcing me. For the last few years before I stopped smoking I always smoked outside whether at home, in a pub or restaurant because now I was aware of the damage I was doing to others. Eventually it got too anti social. From smokers being in the majority at work I found myself just one of a few so decided to stop. This law as far as the health of the nation is concerned is the best since 1948 and the inaugoration of the Health Service. Yes Colin, I know it was a Welshman, Aneurin Bevan, whose vision it was. heheheheh!

Feb 9, 2006
Visit site
Aren't they going to stop the use of designated areas/rooms in workplaces as well? One of the problems with pubs today is that they have no separate rooms like they did years ago where a chap could go into the bar after work and enjoy a pint and a ***/cigar with his mates and anyone else could use the lounge. But now the pubs often only have one large room for everyone so why not have designated areas in the pubs as well?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ex smoker too, as Lolly said, I don't mind others smoking as long as it's not directed my way. My wife smokes but does it outside of the house. One thing I will say though is that I must have annoyed quite a few non smokers before I gave up. In my later days I smoked small cigars, Cafe Creme and the like, not knowing how foul these things are in a confined area. Now I have realised and regret every draw I took.

As they say, smokers are a dieing breed.

G

This was another of the those curious 'devolution' issues. Blair used his Scottish MPs to get a law through for England, but Scotland has already passed a total ban which comes into effect next month. The actaul majority did on this occasion make the use of Scottish MPs less of an issue, but it was also curious for a Secretary of State to vote against her own Bill.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
65% are non smokers and more expected to stop with the new ban!

But 100% expected to pay for ID cards, funny how these things crop up within a few days of one another ;-)

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
I hate being subjected to cigarette smoke, and am not complaining about the total ban. However, in the interests of personal choice I do think that smoking could be allowed in designated smoking rooms, to keep smokers happy without the rest of us, including staff, having to suffer.

If people want to hasten their way to their graves, it's up to them, just so long as they don't take others with them!

But I pose the question: why does ANYONE smoke at all?

Can anyone define the pleasure? Is there a genuine reason why?

I can understand gluttony - food is good and we all need it to live. I can understand alcoholism - drinking also titilates the pallet. In everything we do, there is usually a pleasurable experience.

But what pleasure exactly is there in drawing smoke into the lungs, especially when we know it's likely to kill us? We know flames burn, so we don't put our hands into fire. We know poison kills, so we don't eat/drink it. So why does anyone smoke?

TRENDING THREADS