Smoking Ban

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Feb 9, 2006
Visit site
I am now an ex smoker of 14 years, giving up easily after suffering an heart attack at the age of 42. I enjoyed a pint of beer as well, but in moderation. My first ciggie tasted awful but so did my first pint! But perseverence enabled me to continue with both and eventually I was hooked on the fags (addiction) but fortunately not on the booze which I have also since given up. Whilst it must seem strange to some why people suck smoke into their lungs for enjoyment I think, or in my case know, that it is the need to satisfy the urges of any addictive substance that gives you the 'pleasure'.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Tina/ LB

The only survey I have seen concluded that smoking was NOT addictive as such. Now smokers may argue with this but the measure of "addictive" is important in any findings.

The criteria used in the survey I saw differentiated between cravings and addiction.

Now as a non smoker I may well get shot down for this but I don't believe that smoking is truly addictive, you have to imagine how your body would react if you were suddenly deprived of your "fix" Tina has explained she found it quite easy, I personally know 2 people who from 60 and 40 a day respectively stopped one day and never felt the need again.

Real addiction " according to the survey" was only considered to be addiction when sudden withdrawal of the substance had an uncontrollable and dramatic affect on the function of the body (as in heroin etc) and concluded that cravings and irritability did not count.

Mind you this was a few years ago ( at least 10 if only!!!) when I was at college so opinions may have changed since then.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Graham the only answer I can give is for you to try it and see if its addictive. I know thats a stupid thing to say but apart from that I have no proof. Having smoked for about 30 years and then gone through the withdrawal symptoms I can only speak from my own experiences. As they say today, been there, done it, got the T-shirt. People who exercise a lot, like joggers etc. also get addicted to exercise. They run and push themselves through the pain barrier (stitch) and are proud of the fact that they broke it but that pain is their bodies natural way of saying stop. The body then produces endomorphines, a natural pain killer. After a certain time the body gets addicted to these natural morphines hence they have to run to get their fix. A consultant once told us its more healthy to sit down and read a good book than push your body past its limits.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Hi Tina, I always had problems with those psy and phy words at work. I would always have to write them out before writing them on the P.R.F. I really needed a scrabble set so I could re-arrange the letters. It's Sod's Law I don't have the problem now ;O) I too liked a smoke at certain times, after meals, a drink or feeling stressed out but the were times I found myself smoking needlessly, probably from boredom.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
From other postings on this forum I though JC was either Jesus Christ or Jeremy Clarkson. Now LOL has introduced Jesus Clive. What is happening here? Please tell me or I may end up with Emmerson and nine others in that hospital not far from my home.
Glad I'm not the only one with that problem.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
i Graham W.

I take it your with out doubt an anti car, lorry, motorbike, van, diesel train person then.

I bet you don't drive, if you did you are killing people!!!!

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
Smiley

Well you could not have got that any more wrong if you had tried, only thing in this world I am anti is anyone smoking around me. Yes accuse me of killing the world if you like, I have both car, motorbikes, speedboat and jet ski so guilty as charged on that one.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Graham

Interesting study ! I am still conviced that it is the "phsycological need " My life was controlled by how many cigs I had,the amount of times I got up earlier than I wanted to make sure I had some for the day,People will phone a taxi to go the garage in the dead of night,crikey how much does that cost? the advert with the fella out in the wind and rain says it all !!! I sit at the hospital where there is now a complete ban and watch them all wrapped up marching in to the trees and mud !! This is the BRAINS effect, I need a cig I need a cig and a vicious cycle ensues, I dont believe any physical withdrawl sypmtoms could cause that. The best thing about not smoking is FREEDOM for all the above, it is quite stressful to be controlled in that way by something,its amazing how more relaxed I am, the opposite really of what you would expect.

Anyhow smiley I think you've misjudged Graham(sorry) if you knew who this guy takes on hol you'd give him a medal !

Hope F-I-L is doing ok Graham x

Tina x

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I didn't think I was passing judgement, just making a point about inhaled toxins.

They are no perfect things and everyone has faults.

We cannot control everything that we breathe and eat, so it is peoples choices on what they put in their bodies. but somethings we have absolutely no choice and cannot avoid unless we all move to an island that is:-

No smoking

no driving

no flying

no sailing

no pesticides

no gmt

no fat

no sugar

in fact no nothing.

All we can do is OUR best and what we beleive is right for us be it good or bad.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
absolutely what you say is correct, I stopped because I was scared of killing myself! I walk my kids to school as its supposed to be better for them,but then the school traffic is horrendous and they suffer those fumes, I see what your saying smiley and didnt mean offence, your answer to graham just seemed quite curt !

Tina x

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
absolutely what you say is correct, I stopped because I was scared of killing myself! I walk my kids to school as its supposed to be better for them,but then the school traffic is horrendous and they suffer those fumes, I see what your saying smiley and didnt mean offence, your answer to graham just seemed quite curt !

Tina x
My Hero

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
I do smoke, have stopped 3 or 4 times.

Stopped when my mom died went to doctors and was told it was to much to stop and grieve. told to smoke, yes it helped.

But this last couple of years the stress levels are unbearable and have been in a black hole.

I feel the same as you Tina desparate to stop, but it is so out of control, and yes sometimes I use it as an excuse, I have lots of reasons to stop and not to.

hubby none smoker and I worked very hard for the kids to be none smokers and happy they are.

I have one more hurdle 6-8 weeks time than hopefully I will be free to pack in.

If I drank I would definitely call myself an alcoholic and a drug addict.

But people constantly saying give up you feel better and all the other comments always have the opposite efect. When I stop everyone will be told before the day to keep their mouths shut and any condecending remarks to themselves, especially all the do gooders.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
smiley could you please let me know when you are going to attempt to stop smoking. I would hate to post and you to misconstrue what I meant. I couldn't bear you shouting at me because I am of a delicate nature and have led a very sheltered life :O(

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
smiley could you please let me know when you are going to attempt to stop smoking. I would hate to post and you to misconstrue what I meant. I couldn't bear you shouting at me because I am of a delicate nature and have led a very sheltered life :O(
Lb

hopefully 6-8 weeks but no reference was made to forum, aimed at mother in law and a few others.

Have to say though sitting in the garden on a summers day feet up tea and smoke contemplating life is enjoyable and will be sadly missed.

It's just breaking a habit and moving on really.

But wished I never started.

Question What made smokers/ex smokers on this forum start smoking and at what age.

Me age 17, work enviroment, everbody smoked.

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Smiley

I would never for one minute preach to any one and tell them to stop! I smoked for 18yrs and do not have the right to do this. I just posted my experiences on smoking and stopping, with all the will in the world if you are not ready you wont do it . You need to find the right time for you and it isnt now , I put my eldest child through my smoking habit,she is 16 now and I look at her and wonder if I have done her any damage, That included smoking while pregnant that shows I am not "holier than thou" I would never judge anyone , I do wish you well smiley and hope one day you crack it, only trouble is now I cant stop eating !

Tina xx

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Smiley

I would never for one minute preach to any one and tell them to stop! I smoked for 18yrs and do not have the right to do this. I just posted my experiences on smoking and stopping, with all the will in the world if you are not ready you wont do it . You need to find the right time for you and it isnt now , I put my eldest child through my smoking habit,she is 16 now and I look at her and wonder if I have done her any damage, That included smoking while pregnant that shows I am not "holier than thou" I would never judge anyone , I do wish you well smiley and hope one day you crack it, only trouble is now I cant stop eating !

Tina xx
p.s started at school !! peer pressure,and sitting in the garden NOT wanting a smoke is even better,I promise !! xx

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Smiley

Tina xx
p.s started at school !! peer pressure,and sitting in the garden NOT wanting a smoke is even better,I promise !! xx

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Like you smiley I started early, about 14. Both my parents smoked as most people did then but they both gave up before me. At the school I attended if we did good work we got a merit. These were made in the metal work class. When given a merit you put it in a receptical under whichever house you were in. After sometime this system was abolished. Myself and a few others worked in the school library because of our neat handwriting and one of us found a stack of these old metal merits. A friend who was more enterprising than the rest of us found out these old merits were the exact size of a half crown coin and not only did they get you 20 Park Drive or Turf from the machine at the local shop but you had 9d change as well. ⇦ Hangs my head in shame :O( I suppose on the plus side we did spend the 9d on sweets in the shop :O) Back then women didn't smoke out in the street, it was considered to be a sign of low morals. My wife nor my eldest two children have ever smoked but ironically the youngest who wouldnt remember me smoking does smoke.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I do enjoy the occassional cigar - a packet of six King Six Cigars will last me on average two weeks. I have a cigar with a glass of whiskey and a good magazine such as Practical Classics, Steam Days, etc. and relaxing with 60s music playing quietly in the background. My idea of a quiet evening now that I've retired. My doctor told me that smoking a cigar of that frequency will do very little harm and that the whiskey was good in moderation.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I do enjoy the occassional cigar - a packet of six King Six Cigars will last me on average two weeks. I have a cigar with a glass of whiskey and a good magazine such as Practical Classics, Steam Days, etc. and relaxing with 60s music playing quietly in the background. My idea of a quiet evening now that I've retired. My doctor told me that smoking a cigar of that frequency will do very little harm and that the whiskey was good in moderation.
I've got hundreds of Steam Days and Steam World mags Colin, enough for me to take to the afterlife because theres no way I'm going to get them all read before I pop my clogs. I bought some Trains Illustrated the other day on EBay too. The Steam Days mags I bought on EBay from someone in Bristol. I had to go and fetch them because they were too heavy to post. I got them for next to nothing and they were all mint - unread. I also have about 60 British Railways Illustrated to read. Guess what I take away with me in the caravan to read in my spare time lolol.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
p.s. I've recently sold 6 bound copies of the Railway Magazine on EBay 1955 - 1962, I was missing the 1961.

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
I've got hundreds of Steam Days and Steam World mags Colin, enough for me to take to the afterlife because theres no way I'm going to get them all read before I pop my clogs. I bought some Trains Illustrated the other day on EBay too. The Steam Days mags I bought on EBay from someone in Bristol. I had to go and fetch them because they were too heavy to post. I got them for next to nothing and they were all mint - unread. I also have about 60 British Railways Illustrated to read. Guess what I take away with me in the caravan to read in my spare time lolol.
"Guess what I take away with me in the caravan to read in my spare time lolol"

Playboy?

or am I not paying attention again?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Lord B, if you want more literature on the railways might I suggest a visit to Stamford Railway Station. They have a book shop devoted to the railways past and present.

TRENDING THREADS