Snagging a brand new Caravan

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
We bought an ex display, at a great price too!
Biggest issue we has was the fact that it had been used to take parts off for repairs etc so was a task to figure out what was missing.
Door bin, grill pan handle and oven shelf were a few obvious spots.
Dealer sorted it and we bought a great van

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Aug 23, 2023
Visit site
I have already added to this post but if more than one of you go to check van why not split up and each take a not pad and you might spot more than going around together might take more time but could be worth it in the long run, just a thought.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Thanks bud, yeh we had an idea of one doing front area, and one doing back

Then rotate to see if the other has missed anything :)

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Hi everyone, back from the dealerships

We had around 20min to go around the caravan again and look for more issues, and check a few things. He then walked out with a pad and pen and wrote down all the snags which we noticed and a few new ones, nothing major just mainly scuffs.

Grill Handle and oven shelf still there, sink covers and chopping board, and a heap of items in the front main cabinet i.e. mains cable, step, water pump, AL-KO Wheel locks. The wife also took photos of all the documents, which someone suggested to do for the correct mftr date of the caravan, although on the last picture it’s dated 2022, maybe this was when the design was signed off?

Please see all attached photos, I think the caravan was made 16/06/2023 but could be wrong

I also asked the salesman when the warranty of the caravan started, which he replied with once you pick the caravan up, then 3 years after

IMG_0679.jpeg

IMG_0680.jpeg
IMG_0682.jpeg
IMG_0681.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2023
Visit site
The sooner the better really. As soon as you have access to the caravan, whether that is before or after you have paid for it, make a list (photos and descriptions) of everything you require fixed.

The more time the van is in your possession, the more wiggle room they have to claim it was damaged after sale.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
That’s sorted and looks good. Your water ingress warranty will be longer than 3 years.
Soon be collection day to look forward to.
The water ingress only applies to permanently sealed joints and chances of that happening are extremely remote. Marketing play on words to make it look good.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Just to get things right, we paid the deposit mainly because we wanted to reserve the caravan as there was no more in Scotland of this version and close to us.

We hadn’t noticed all the marks the first time we visited, we only just seen them yesterday.

I have emailed the dealership and are visiting tomorrow morning to go through everything we seen.

We are not talking about major cracks or issues, it’s light scuff marks, a small dent and a couple other issues.

Remember we are first time caravan buyers, and by only speaking to people on here we have learnt a heck of a lot (and watching the Trudgians). I thought a PDI would pick these things up but obviously not, which is why we are going back down tomorrow to go through everything
I am not trying to be hard on you and appreciate the problems. Buying a caravan is in some ways like buying a car in a showroom. You do need to look carefully and note any defects as I was trying to get in before others is not a defence and gives the dealer the simple answer to complaints that you were able to check it and made no comment. I am not sure that being first time buyers gets you anywhere and the discount you got could be regarded as the reason it was sold in that state.
I do hope the dealer will rectify the problems and if they do that should end the problem, if they do not I think you are in difficulties if you want to take it further.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
One small thing we noticed was the stickers which cover screws, and have the same wood grain effect on the circle sticker.

The grain of the wood effect is travelling horizontal, but some eejit decided to place a circle sticker with the grain going vertical so it sticks out like a sore thumb

I mean come on, attention to detail son! :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
One small thing we noticed was the stickers which cover screws, and have the same wood grain effect on the circle sticker.

The grain of the wood effect is travelling horizontal, but some eejit decided to place a circle sticker with the grain going vertical so it sticks out like a sore thumb

No chance !!!

Reactions: ProfJohnL and GaryB
Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
I am not trying to be hard on you and appreciate the problems. Buying a caravan is in some ways like buying a car in a showroom. You do need to look carefully and note any defects as I was trying to get in before others is not a defence and gives the dealer the simple answer to complaints that you were able to check it and made no comment. I am not sure that being first time buyers gets you anywhere and the discount you got could be regarded as the reason it was sold in that state.
I do hope the dealer will rectify the problems and if they do that should end the problem, if they do not I think you are in difficulties if you want to take it further.
Hi bud, no wasn’t thinking that but did push us to make sure the issues were dealt with ;)

Just to advise, the discount and extras we received, which included the £1000 off and motor movers was merely for a sale.

When we originally visited we spoke with a lady in sales who let us in to view the caravan, we then went home and had a think. Then a week later I emailed the company just saying would there be any discount or offer, and a gentlemen picked up my mail unknown we had been down to see the caravan already.

I’m sure we will have more snags the first time we take the caravan out, but for now all the noticeable ones are being dealt with :)

Reactions: otherclive
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site

You've done well for them to use ones of the right colour AND place them over the screw heads!

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

Same with our Buccaneer. Surely a simple matter to more or less line it up with the grain on the panel? I don't think any caravan manufacturer knows of the phrase "Attention to detail".

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I think eBay sellers advertise them and if needed could likely match yours if you sent a sample. Hopefully can be peeled and reapplied as you describe!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The water ingress only applies to permanently sealed joints and chances of that happening are extremely remote. Marketing play on words to make it look good.
I know what it applies to, and I’ve had three replacement ABS panels on two caravans under warranty so don’t be so dismissive. It’s there and hopefully the OP doesn’t have to use it as caravans these days are built to higher standards (sic) 🤞🏼

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Some might say “ as expected for a cottage industry” but that denigrates true cottage industries.

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I know what it applies to, and I’ve had three replacement ABS panels on two caravans under warranty so don’t be so dismissive. It’s there and hopefully the OP doesn’t have to use it as caravans these days are built to higher standards (sic) 🤞🏼
Apologies if I came across as dismissive as that was not my intention. We thought we had a 10 year warranty for damp ingress as per the sales brochure, but on reading the owner's manual realised it only applied to permanently sealed joints. Panels only had a warranty for one year i.e. cracks.

Pigs may fly if caravans are now built to better standards. Caravan manufacturers are still in the early 20th century using hammer, nails and bubble gum to stick together caravans! LOL! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Apologies if I came across as dismissive as that was not my intention. We thought we had a 10 year warranty for damp ingress as per the sales brochure, but on reading the owner's manual realised it only applied to permanently sealed joints. Panels only had a warranty for one year i.e. cracks.

Pigs may fly if caravans are now built to better standards. Caravan manufacturers are still in the early 20th century using hammer, nails and bubble gum to stick together caravans! LOL! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Sometimes you can get pigs to fly!!

IMG_3011.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Buckman

TRENDING THREADS