SO which one should I join

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I've read numerous (and in some cases quite funny) threads of your thoughts of which Caravan club is best

So which one should a Newbie join (seeing as I bought my first Caravan today).....I may over time like alot of you guys have already done and joining both, but for now while I'm easing into it (and not retired just yet) I only wish to join one.

The one that would give me

Travel to European quality van sites
Good discounts on ferry crossings etc
and pretty important to me is helpful advice at the sites once i get there (as I am a newbie)

Oh and a good bunch of folk who can handle me boring them to death about my life and experiences over a shandy or two.

Thanks in advance
Paul

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Both clubs offer the things that you are looking for Paul and each club has it's plus and minus points.
If posts on this and other forums are anything to go by the Caravan Club is said by some to have better facilities such as wash blocks but it can be difficult to successfully book a stay at one of the popular site because the pitches are snapped up months in advance.
The Camping & Caravanning Club has a deposit system for it's main sites ( although not for it's 5 van certified sites) and it can be much easier to book pitches at C&CC sites but one night stays are not available.
The Caravan Club is perceived as being slightly more regimented than the Camping & Caravanning Club but both clubs have similar rules governing on site behaviour.
CC members choose their own pitch and C&CC are given a choice of available pitches by the site warden.
If you decide to try rallying the C&CC rallies have no requirement to book in advance and the CC rallies have to be pre booked.
The C&CC allow camping in tents (normally separate from the caravan area) and the CC don't.
Every forum member will be able to relate both positive and negative experience of both clubs so it might be better for you to look at the websites of both clubs and see which sites, 5 van sites and even local rallies where more experienced ralliers will be glad to help are in your area.

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi there,
I can only speak for the c&cc which I have a member of for about 13 years. They certainly offer all the services you mention and I've always found them to qualify for their name as being "the friendly club".
Their membership is increasing every year which does have the effect of making their sites busier which in turn means booking the more popular sites a little further in advance. Having said that, I think i can only recall one occasion when they couldn't find room for me. pitches are always of a good standard and size and they do rigidly stick to the 22 foot rule so you should always have enough space.

Hope this helps
Tony H

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
You don't need to join either to stay at any C&CC site or many of the CC sites (someone correct me if that's wrong).
But if you're staying more than 5 nights at a C&CC site it's cheaper to become a member. Maybe similar at CC sites.
Joining one or both does have other advantages - they are sources of info for instance.
Caravan Club (maybe C&CC too) is good for foreign holiday bookings - helpful and with reasonable discounts.
The high standard of the CC washrooms is important for many people, though I think the other lot aren't far behind.
Remember that CC and C&CC sites are often next to each other (though each tries to ignore the fact), so if you are staying at one you can *** round and take a look at the other one - prospective member and all that.
Bry

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Guys I want to thank you for your replies so far, the CC lot do look like the ones I will join because I keep seeing praise after praise for them and their sites.

Being a soldier I am use to ruffing it and living under canopy etc and really want my vanning experience to be somewhat different....."anyone can ruff it" as we say in the Cavalry.

Again Thanks

Paul

Jan 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi I have been a member of both clubs since returning to caravaning two years ago, we go away a lot for weekends and recently 2 x 2 week holidays overall about 30 times, Caravan club sites about 25 visits privates sites 4 and C&CC sites 1 mainly because the CC sites and the private ones were of a better standard than the C&CC in the areas we wanted to visit, and I did have a look at them .Ive managed to get last minute bookings at the "well used"CC ones i.e Clumber park, Maragowan, Edinburgh and even managed a weekend at Rowantree in york.
The CC dont charge deposits whilst the C&CC do,CC answer questions within 4 days C&CC havent reponded to two e-mails or a registered letter after 3 weeks They also kept over £30 deposit on a booking which was made at 9pm and then cancled the following morning at 9am to be fair it is in their terms and conditions.

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
hi and welcome to caravaning, we have been members of the cc for many years and take advantage of their other services (breakdown cover, insurance etc), we have stayed on their sites numerous times and have never been let down by standards/facilities or space (and i am fussy!!)... numerous ways of booking pitches and no deposit are very welcomed by us . dont think you will be sorry if you join, good luck.

May 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi Paul,

Welcome to caravanning. I'm a member of the C&CC club, but don't use them to stay at (except once this year another story) To be honest I joined for the insurance and other benefits you get as a member. I have found that commercial sites are sometimes cheaper than club sites. An example last year we went to Cornwall and stayed on a fantastic site called Tregarten http://www.campsiteincornwall.co.uk/ the week in June cost us £75 with EHU, the C&CC site 2 miles down the road would have cost us just over £100 for the same dates had we used them. So in our experence they are not always cheaper.

The site we booked this year unfortunatly didn't have the space for our van. The first pitch our van was 4ft in the air at the front after leveling, the second pitch after we moved just had room for the caravan, we had no chance of erecting the porch awning, just no space. As there were no more available pitches left we decided to leave on the second day. We found a site near Poole South Lytchett Manor http://www.southlytchettmanor.co.uk/ and stayed for the rest of the week for the same price as we payed for the C&CC site.

HTH

Graham

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi,
Sorry to contradict BryanS but you do need to be a c&cc member to use their certified sites. Certified sites only take upto 5 caravans at a time and probably have basic facilities but some are better equiped than others. They are usually wonderfully quiet though!
Non members are welcome at club sites but they do pay more than members.

Regards
Tony H

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi Paul.
we are members of the CC and exept for the odd stay on a CL dont use their sites because of the cost "after breaking down the unit cost per item" and find most popular sites are unavailable for short notice bookings "done while touring" it has to be said though that the sites are usually clean, tidy, and to a high standard not something that can be said for some commercial sites we have used.
we were for many years members of the C&CC when we started out over 30years ago and found their sites very good, but when we had the motorhome we were turned away from a site near Loch Lomond because it had a "hard top" and it was tent only site despite being members and having just driven down from ullapool in horrendous weather conditions. not being able to find another site enroute as it was now 9pm spent a very uncomfortable night in a lay by near the loch. despite several letters of complaint we never heard anything from the club. so we cancelled our membership.
After that we stayed club free and just used smallish sites, building up a portfolio of the better sites in the areas we visited, that is untill 3years ago when trying to find insurance for the van and breakdown cover for the van and car came across the deals offered by the CC to members they were far cheaper for better cover than we could find elsewhere even after the cost of membership as taken into account.
I believe the C&CC also offer deals to members and yes I know you should not judge the whole club just for one bad experience BUT!!!!.
colin.

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Tony H said:
Hi,
Sorry to contradict BryanS but you do need to be a c&cc member to use their certified sites. Certified sites only take upto 5 caravans at a time and probably have basic facilities but some are better equiped than others. They are usually wonderfully quiet though!
Non members are welcome at club sites but they do pay more than members.

Regards
Tony H

Ah - quite right Tony . I was thinking of just the club sites.
Bry

Jan 15, 2008
Visit site
I like many others have been a member of both clubs for many years but as you say you want to ease into it,so given your criteria of foreign travel etc it is no contest it has to be the Caravan Club

G

Plotter,

Not necessarily true.

As the OP would like advice and help with foreign travel then the C&CC is the only one that actually organises foreign rallies. TRhe CC does not. So if you are a newbie then the C&CC will be better to get your feet wet abroad. They will arrange everything and have wardens on site for their rallies to help and also offer some organised events if you wish to join in.

Both Clubs will help you if you break down, but the C&CC is the one who actually 'babysits' you on a site. The CC offers overseas sites but has no actual contact with them, they merely use names and comments from members. Both Clubs entice new owners with discounts on insurance etc, but these can disappear after 1 year.

Bluntly I would join both for 2 years and try them all out. The cost is not that great considering what you can achieve. Saving pennies to waste pounds is not always good economics.

May 15, 2007
Visit site
Hi cat695
I am a member of both clubs but will not be renuing the C&CC. We use mostly CL sites and have not found any C&CC sites where we want to go so it works out expensive . I know it may sound strange as my son has a C&CC CL in Saundersfoot Pembrokeshire.
Graham (Derby)

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
In both clubs. Both excellent. I have no complaints about either but would want to challenge some negativity in some posts. CC have no deposit but it can be difficult to get a booking. CCC take a deposit and it can be credited to your account if you cancel at short notice with a good reason. You have to write to HQ with the reason. I left a site early because of a threatened fuel blockade and wanted to be nearer home. Explained to warden and my unspent cash was credited to my account. Left another early because midgets had feasted on me- again credited. CC sites are generally similar, same gravel. EHU posts etc. CCC are more invidual. Both have very clean facilities where they exist. I feel that the CC is more business like CCC is possibly friendlier. CC has about 2500 CL's many with EHU, most without WC. CCC has over 1000 CS, most with WC but fewer with EHU. If I had to choose one club it would be CCC because they run temporary holiday sites in lovely places that are cheap.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Scotch Lad said:
As the OP would like advice and help with foreign travel then the C&CC is the only one that actually organises foreign rallies. TRhe CC does not. So if you are a newbie then the C&CC will be better to get your feet wet abroad. They will arrange everything and have wardens on site for their rallies to help and also offer some organised events if you wish to join in.

The CC does organise rallies abroad, they are in their Winter Sun brochure which I sent for ...
http://www.caravanclub.co.uk/planning-your-trip/overseas-trips/overseas-caravan-sites/winter-escapes-brochure

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Thats not completly true about choosing your own pitch with CC, most of the sites you choose your own pitch , i booked at pitch at a site in Brecon and the pitches are allocated for you , i am still waiting to hear why i was given the smallest pitch for my 26ft caravan van and a 23ft caravan which came in after me was given the largest pitch , they have gone very quiet on the subject

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I have been a member of both clubs for the past 12 months and I shan't be renewing my membership of C&CC when due. Basically, whenever I have looked to go away, the C&CC have not had availability where I would like to go.

However, the deciding factor has been that I have recently returned from a stay at Hillhead CC site in Devon. I know that Hillhead is a 'star' of sites, but it was the wardens that made the holiday for me. My daughter had a nasty accident involving her scooter on the last evening of our stay which resulted in her being hospitalised and having to have an operation to close a 1 1/2 inch hold in her leg where the handlebar of the scooter went into her. The wardens were absolutely BRILLIANT - they couldn't have been more helpful and reassuring. We had to stay an extra night and whilst waiting for the ambulance to come to my daughter, they warden reassured me that we could stay as long as we needed to which was one less thing to worry about. They were also very helpful in saying that we didn't have to worry about being off by 12pm the following day (we were only 17 minutes late in the end, but even that we a help).
Any dealings that I have had with the CC have been first class - I am a caravanner and find that the C&CC seem inclined towards our canvass friends, especially the magazine which I often get bored reading (I don't really want to read reviews about tents and there is little in the way of caravans I find).
My own personal view, but an honest one!
Give it a try however, if you are going to the NEC show in October, visit both stands and explain what you are looking for from the club and decide for yourself.

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
AGain guys I want to thank you for all your help in deciding I've currently joined the CC lot BUT will be joining C&CC next month as my close friends are campers so I am looking forward to getting away with them soon.

As a few of you have said I'll stick with both for now and just see how they go (though CC have peed me off a little already) and I havn't gone anywhere yet!

again many thanks for your inputs its appreciated

Paul

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
cat695 said:
AGain guys I want to thank you for all your help in deciding I've currently joined the CC lot BUT will be joining C&CC next month as my close friends are campers so I am looking forward to getting away with them soon.

If you do decide to join the C&CC Paul I'd recommend going on a district association rally. As a C&CC member you will automatically become a member of your local d.a although you can attend rallies held by any d.a in the country if you wanted to.
D.A. rallies are child friendly, you get to use your caravan to the max without needing to pre book anything and if you change your plans at the very last minute it matters not.
You will meet friendly experienced caravanners on d.a. rallies and will pick up many tips, as often as not there is no ehu but you won't need one. You will soon get to know other ralliers and will most likely enjoy sitting in awnings or outside if it's warm enjoying a spot of liquid refreshment and a chin wag. Your camper friends can also go on the rallies, they start from as little as £5 per unit per night.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Uvongo93 said:
Parksy knows my views on club rallies which are not favourable so we will leave it at that! :)
Fair comment Uvongo, if your experience of DA rallies was not favourable you are at liberty to say so. Each DA is different, this past year we've tended to stick with two local DA's depending on which one is going to the venue that we like most. As we've got to know people from both DA's they've given us a good idea of which others DA rallies are worth going to and which ones to avoid like the plague.
So far our overall experience of the rallies that we've been on has been largely positive and we've liked the majority of people that we've met.
We've also learned stuff that we otherwise might not have known about such as where to buy the cheapest 80w solar panels and how to install them, where to get good led 'bulbs' to replace our halogens and which temporary holiday sites might suit us.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts