Sorento, Auto, fuel economy ?

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone help , please,

I am on my second Sorento, manual, and love it, I get good economy, around 30 mpg urban, high 30's on motorway, and towing a 1900kg van around 23/24mpg.

Sadly I need to change to an auto, for medical reasons. but i read so often about bad fuel consumption with the Sorento auto,

Can any Sorento auto drivers confirm their actual mpg ?

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paul with the auto sorento you can expect to achive around 27ish mpg solo.

They are a bit more thirsty than the manual. The very latest sorento is a 2.2td which is mor economical then its perdecessor but has not got the towing capacity.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Paul

Look at

uksorento.com

They have been running a mpg page for years. Quite a wild difference appears.

I get 32 solo and down to 25-28 towing for the manual.

cheers

Dustydog

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Paul. We tow with a 58 plate Sorento XS automatic. The later Sorentos like this have a greater engine power than earlier Sorentos and make fabulous tow cars with plenty of power for crusing and overtaking. We tow a 524 Pegasus which has an max towing weight close to 1500kg. Unfortunately the automatic does not have as good fuel economy than the manual. One our last trip we covered just over 300 miles of which 250 was with van on the back and I averaged just under 23 mpg. I get around 21 to 22 around the town and cannot really comment on long solo runs as most of our long journeys are with the van on the back. If you can live with the lower mpg I am sure you will enjoy the automatic. We do 5 or 6 rallies a year and nearly all of our friends have Sorentos and they are all automatics.

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the replies,

I guess that was the sort of mpg i would expect,

I currently run a 08 XS, as you say the uplift model has extra power for towing.

I am going to look at the new model just to put my mind at rest, but i will probably go for the same model as i currently have, just an automatic.

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget the new Sorento automatic has a lower overall towing limit than the previous model and also a much lower tow ball hitch limit of just 80kg.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I have an 05 xs auto, 53 k miles. I have measured accurately. Towing 1500 kg , two adults and lots of kit. 20 mpg Solo round about sites 24 mpg. long runs 25 mpg. I find that towing at 55 mph gives best figures but slowing for hills. I used cruise control set at 56 mph and economy suffered because it tried to go up Shap on M6 at 56 mph!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts