Sorento manual or auto

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Currently in the market for a used Kia Sorento. I have always had manual cars in the past with one exception. Now toying with the idea of going for the auto Sorento, getting fed up with all the gear changing and my left knee is starting to play up a bit. My question is what are the pros and cons of the auto over the manual, fuel consumption and reliability etc.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Julian

I am on my second automatic Sorento. It is a brilliant tow car and there are very few owners who have been disappointed. As I have never owned a the manual version its difficlt for me to comment but the auto makes for very relax towing. I injured my left ankle when we were in Germany last year and I just don't know how we would have got home without it being an auto. I am sure you would find it much easier for your knee. If there is a downside its the economy but you do have to take into account that it is a very large and heavy vehicle and I am not sure the difference between manual and auto would get me to change to the manual box.

David

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Julian

Have a look at www.uksorento.com.

A lot of the Sorie owners tow caravans.

Mine is manual, only because it was some

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have an auto XS (04 rreg) and it has been great, never seems to be in the wrong gear and with the manual overide you can still put it into a gear for hill descents or just treat it as a manual for normal trips. Its so much easier in heavy traffic and when pitching the van. I get around 22-24mpg towing 1400kg and 30-32mpg solo.

Cheers

Other clive

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Just bought an XT manual with 19000 on the clock. Picking up in Jan. Replacing an X-Trail. Dont forget manual car tax will be half of what an auto will be. I would go for manual any time.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You are quite right, not all autos a twice the tax,only the facelift ones and my auto doesn't get anywhere near 30-32 solo or 22-24 towing. these figure are just generalisations

Steve W

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Would go for the auto everytime,long journeys stick in cruise control when it hits a hill the auto changes down for you much more relaxing.Driving manuals on long trips much more tiring.

try and get the later auto model as this was a 5 speed box instead of 4.

Extra car tax of a

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You are quite right, not all autos a twice the tax,only the facelift ones and my auto doesn't get anywhere near 30-32 solo or 22-24 towing. these figure are just generalisations

Steve W
Sorry Steve these mpg are what I get and I have had the car and van for 5 years now. The 5 speed box came in quite early mine is a March 04 and has 5 speed and still has low road fund tax.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Other Clive.

Sorry but I don't see the point of your comment. I did say that the tax rise only applied to facelift models, that is after late 2006. As for your mpg that is also not a problem as a lot of Sorento owners report widely different results.

Steve W

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
I have the auto & think it's a wonderful towcar; you can always flip over to manual if you wish; get 23mpg towing 28mpg solo.

Brilliant value for the money & so far rliable too.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
got a manual,but it doesnt matter,

some say that auto drivers are just lazy

the main thing to remember is with the sorento you are buying the ultimate tow car, anythig else is just second best.

buy it and enjoy it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi all thanks for your replys. After doing a deal for a 2003 XS auto, due to the suprising amount they offered me for my Freelander I went to the local Kia dealer to see if I could get something a bit newer. Got a really good trade in for the Freelander there too and settled on a 2007 XE manual with 9000 miles on the clock. Very pleased, pick it up this week and cant wait. First tow will not be until Easter, but judging by the power when I test drove it, it's not going to notice a caravan on the back much at all.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts