South of France - summer 2010

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi

Anyone have any suggestions for good sites in the south of france (near Port Grimaud/st tropex area) for next years summer hols? We have 3 young children, so play area a must and we want a beach within walking distance!! Closer the better. We have been warned it is really busy in the south of france in the summer - with lots of french people taking their holidays there. Should we steer clear? We went away for the first time this weekend in our new caravan and it was GREAT!!

Thanks

Shelley

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
The St Tropez/Port Grimaud area is lovely out of season, but in peak season the traffic can be a nightmare! If you've young children then there are lots of other lovely places in France where you will find equally lovely scenery without the 'madding crowd' in that particular area of the Mediterranean.

We have friends who live near La Croix Valmer (just around the coast from St Tropez) and in high season they hardly venture out of the end of their road because of the traffic!

Have another think is my advice, and think about one of the quieter areas of the Med, or stick to inland France where you'll find the best scenery and campsites anyway.

However, if your children are young enough and you can go at Spring Bank Holiday then you'll find it much quieter and probably be able to find campsites with free pitches, perhaps even adjacent to the beach. In the summer holidays I would just try elsewhere.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Shelley

There are about three sites just outside Port Grimaud which have direct access to the beach. Prairies del la Mer and Camping de la Plage are the twi I have stayed at a couple of time each. Although its been a few year since we last went to Port Grimaud I don't recall either site have lots play stuff for kids although with the beach do you really need that? The main road between St Maxime and St Tropez is an exceptionally busy road all summer so its best to plan excursions to avoid the busy times. The advantage of that area is that the Golfe de St Tropez is very sheltered compare to those resorts directly on the Med. As Val suggests other places like Serignan Plage and others will be a lot quieter in terms of road traffic.

David

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I've just had another thought this morning, Selection Camping at La Croix Valmer may suit you. It has a pool, walking distance to a nice beach, and plenty of bars and restaurants around. I haven't stayed there, but used the beach adjacent to the site many times in the 80s and 90s. Friends stayed there several times (in the days before it had a swimming pool - so a while ago).

Jul 20, 2005
Visit site
I would second Val's warning about St Trop in August. We stayed in a privately rented static about 10 years ago. There is only one road into St T, which crawled at an unbelievably slow pace ALL day. Parking was a nightmare and the only nearby supermarket meant following people round in a long shuffling line - no opportunity to go back for something forgotten (think IKEA on a really bad weekend).

If you MUST stay in that area, I would suggest that you find a site wtihin reasonable walking distance of the facilities that you would want. Otherwise, go inland 10 or 20 miles and visit the coast for an occasional day out. Whatever you do, avoid Sundays. Everyone in France makes for the coast on summer Sundays and they seem to like being in a crowd. Is it because they are mainly apartment dwellers?

Jo

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
We have had various really good holidays in the south of France however we ventured 40 miles over the border in to Spain and stayed at a site called Las Dunas(see website)at San Pescador- I know it is in the opp direction to your enquiry but- beach with white sand and shallow very calm sea which the kids can walk out in and play in, ther are 2 pools which are great and lots of play areas including crazy golf.... we got a pitch with a direct water and waste connection which saved a lot of Dad work!! - we have booked for August - just dont go through Paris on the 1st week of August!!I hope this helps!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts