South Vendee Region - Longeville Sur Mer/La Tranche Sur Mer

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
We have now found the area that we would like to stay in after much research by yours truly ;-)

We are looking at the villages of Longeville Sur Mer/Jard Sur Mer and La Tranche. I am looking at campsite recommendations please. So far my favourites are:-

Les Brunelles - Longeville Sur Mer

Bel - La Tranche

I would really appreciate any feedback on these campsites, or any recommended camspites in this area please. Are any of the villages better than the others??? Preferably we are looking at being able to walk to the beach, shops etc We have 3 children ages 13, 9 and 7.

Thank you

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi

We stayed at Camping Bel last year and stayed in a mobile home, the site is quite small as French sites go, but we loved it and are going back this year, as we have now bought our own tourer. As we stayed in a mobile home, we didn't make much use of the facilities but when we did, they were always spotless. The pool isn't huge but plenty big enough, very clean with sun beds around, gets busy though so if you want to lie round the pool on a lounger you need to get there early. There's a little kids pool for the younger ones and there's a jacuzzi - but it's v cold! There's a small cafe/bar, where you can get snacks and a drink, and there was kids entertainment held in the evenings and a couple of play areas on the site, along with table tennis tables and basketball. The bread man drives round the site first thing in the morning - he rings a bell so you know he's on his way. The site is immaculate and well maintained. The nearby beaches are great and are within walking distance from the site. We rode our bikes (hired locally) to La Terriere, a sandy beach that goes on for as long as the eye can see, waves can be quite big - we went there for boogie boarding. Must point out, there were lots of jellyfish in the sea last year, not sure if this is usual, they're easy to spot.

Tranche itself is a typical french town, again within walking distance of the site (10-15 mins)there's the usual shops and a market, if you like your wine you must pay a visit to the guy on the main street who sells wine in little kegs from a huge vat - his shop is tiny and doesn't look much from the outside but it's defo worth a visit, the wine is fine for holiday wine and is quite cheap! There are plenty of bars and restaurants in Tranche, the Goldwing does the most fantastic crepes and the pizzas from the restaurant next door are really good too, I'd recommend a visit to either of those.

We decided to return to the same site as having done the research couldn't find anywhere we thought would live up to Camping Bel, we met other caravanners last year on site who have been returning there for years.

Hope this helps

May 5, 2005
Visit site
We stayed at Les Brunelles last year and loved it and have booked again for two weeks this year.The site is great with excellent pool complex,takeaway,club(mainly in French though).The beach wasnt very nice though and walking through the woods to it is hard work,easier to walk the long way round using the roads.Very nice area around and there is lots for the kids on site.they had segways there for hire last year had a go for 9 euros iirc.If the beach was better I'd say it was ideal.There is another close site in the group nearer the beach and we had a look but it was very poor and rundown,disappointing.They have reduced the pitches by about 60 I believe as they sell residential caravans and in a few years it will probably stop taking tourers altogether.HTH

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
We stopped at Les Brunelles a couple of years ago and used Camping Cheques Gold Card. The site itself was very nice, although we had a couple of disagreements with the reception staff. When we arrived reception was closed, a note on the door said to find a pitch, set up and then return to Reception. We positioned the Van then had a rest then went to reception, who told us we couldn't have that pitch as it had been reserved. We had to move to another pitch which the Staff had to help us get into as it was very tight. When we left they told us that there was a 20 euro deposit. I said that as we were using the Gold Card there was nothing to pay. they pointed to some obscure bit in the CC book stating that it was at the discretion of the site. I again refused to pay it and said that if they were going to go by the rules why wasn't I given the free bottle of wine on arrival. In the long run they gave up on trying to get the money and I didn't get the bottle of wine.

Just in case your wondering NO I won't be going back again.

Les

May 5, 2005
Visit site
When we arrived they gave us a printout of all the vacant pitches to choose from and we had a walk around,perhaps theyve sacked the miserable jobsworths you had as the reception staff were very helpful to us.

Did you find a decent beach around there

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
We did manage to find our way through the forest to the beach which we weren't impressed with. It took us about 1 1/2 hours to find it the first time, after that we went round the road. In actual fact we never actually went in to the sea.

I must say the Bar Staff were brilliant.

Les

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
I always like to find the bar and get to know the staff. It can save you a long wait when your watching a match especially at half time.

Les

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts