Southern England (what what!)

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
As an Island nation, love whats being done with regards to 'being scatish, all reet!' but what about being a bit of an English chap. Is it right to hope the Scots lose at footie ( what else could they do?) Do they hope we lose at everything (I think so!!) So is Andy Murray Brittish or Scottish?? I love Scotland. and the Scots best wiskey in the world etc. Any thoughts!

PS England WILL get the world cup, Andy Murray is BRITISH, until he loses at Wimbledon (again) 'the grass was nee quite reet'

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Schoolboy error Simon.

You spelt Scotch whisky with an 'e' which would make it Irish Whiskey.

Still, there's nothing wrong with a drop of the Jamesons on St Patricks day

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I love history and contrary to most peoples belief, and as some would like you to believe, the last battles on British soil had nothing to do with the English taking over Scotland, it was all to do with religion.

At the last battle at Culloden for example there were regiments fighting on the Scottish side from Ireland, France and England, The Manchester Regiment.

On the English side there were regiments from Austria, Prussia, as well as Highland and Lowland regiments.

As David pointed out, it was they who took us over and ain't we suffering now for it :O)

Jun 14, 2009
Visit site
The trouble is now of course, the train fares are so expensive, they won't go back. But as has been said in history "Fear those men in skirts!"

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Lord B,

You're correct about the different nationalities fighting on both sides at Culloden but rather than say on the English or Scottish sides I think it is more accurate to describe them as the Government or (heaven forbid) British side and the rebels or Jacobites. In many ways it was a Civil War with several documented cases of brothers or fathers and sons on opposing sides. The battle itself was bloody enough but the aftermath in which some wounded highlanders were deliberatley burnt alive in a farmhouse being used as a field hospital was even worse.

Machighlander -the last battle on British soil? well there was a right good rammy at my local boozer last week.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Lord B,

You're correct about the different nationalities fighting on both sides at Culloden but rather than say on the English or Scottish sides I think it is more accurate to describe them as the Government or (heaven forbid) British side and the rebels or Jacobites. In many ways it was a Civil War with several documented cases of brothers or fathers and sons on opposing sides. The battle itself was bloody enough but the aftermath in which some wounded highlanders were deliberatley burnt alive in a farmhouse being used as a field hospital was even worse.

Machighlander -the last battle on British soil? well there was a right good rammy at my local boozer last week.
so you live at prestonpans rob ?.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Yes Rob-T, reading my post again I didn't make it very clear on the point I was trying to make. What I should have said it wasn't England v Scotland but a religous war as most wars are.

Whoever took the crown was a side issue.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Lord B,

Naw Mac, west of Prestonpans and east of you!

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Yes Rob-T, reading my post again I didn't make it very clear on the point I was trying to make. What I should have said it wasn't England v Scotland but a religous war as most wars are.

You're right LB. A lot of good men died for the personal ambition of a power hungry few.

Just as an aside to Culloden. I'm sure you are aware it was the start of the clearances when people were shipped off in their hundreds to the colonies including what is now the USA. I came across a magazine article some months back detailing the activities of some expat Scots in the American War of Independence. My initial thoughts were that these people who had been forcibly thrown off their land by the British government would have fought on the American side but it appears that many of them joined up with local militia loyal to the crown and fought against the rebels. Several of these militia battalions bore names hinting back to their Scottish heritage. Wish I had kept that magazine now but didn't have the nerve to steal it out the doctor's surgery waiting room! :)

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
MacHighlander asked "where was the last battle on British soil?"

Suppose that depends on what the definition of British soil is.

Most accept that Culloden was the last battle fought in Britain but the Falkland Islands are classed as British therefor you could argue that the battles fought there in 1982 would be the answer to the question.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site

I also remember reading a similar article Rob but where I can't recall. After the War of Independance apparently a lot of those people moved and settled in Canada.

May 28, 2008
Visit site
MacHighlander Replay to topic

17 Mar 2010 09:14 PM lordy, so where was the last battle on british soil ?

Wembley Stadium, 1967, England v Scotland.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Gasgoine flicks the ball over Hendry, leaving him wondering if Gazza had stuffed the ball down his shorts because he couldn't see it when it was already in the back of the net from Gascoines volley ...

Euro 96

Priceless :O)

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
10th of june, we had just missed a penalty through uri geller havin intervention. ball went up park and as you said.

the two of them were team mates at rangers at the time.

so, heres one that i witnessed :

young man, hampden park, scotland versus engerland in the home nations, think it was 1977

king kenny dalgiesh homes into the box and ray clemence comes out to cut down the angle, kenny then cool as ninepence slips the ball between his legs, what a nutmeg, and i was standing right behind the goal and witnessed the magic of it

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
10th of june, we had just missed a penalty through uri geller havin intervention. ball went up park and as you said.

the two of them were team mates at rangers at the time.

so, heres one that i witnessed :

young man, hampden park, scotland versus engerland in the home nations, think it was 1977

king kenny dalgiesh homes into the box and ray clemence comes out to cut down the angle, kenny then cool as ninepence slips the ball between his legs, what a nutmeg, and i was standing right behind the goal and witnessed the magic of it
That's along while to go back to find a Scottish highlight!!!!!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts