Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are driving to cabo pino,costa del sol in July,1421mls from door to door.am I pshing it to do it in 2 days?

Has any done this trip before and can give me some advise please.we will have 3 young children with us.Our crossing time is 0800 arrive calaise port.

Thanks in advance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
You want my advice? Don't do it. There are many excellent sites in France within 2 hours of Calais or the western ports. We took the Ferry to Spain - we didn't save much time, but our three children were able to play, swim, go to the cinema, walk around the ship etc. 1421 miles is a nightmare for kids - 24 hours' driving over two days. No thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
700 + miles a day - your on holiday!!! suppose it could be done; but i don't think it a good idea. then just think driving back for the ferry, just one hold up and big probs. i would be thinking more around 350 miles a day at max.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi stuart, are you towing or going solo.we did spanish border to near edinburgh,1300 mls in 26 hours, 2 drivers and 3 kids, solo. mental or what. never again, we tow to dover nonstop,12 hrs 510 mls

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
hi stuart we doing the same trip in april camping cabopino it works out two over 1200 miles from caen we have allowed 4 days to travel down i don't like doing much more than 300 a day and let's face you are on holiday a time to relax and enjoy the country side. what ever you choose to do have a great time we are there for 4weeks then on to portugal all the best peter

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, We quite often drive to spain, with our three kids. We normaly do two stops and the third day is an easy 4 hour drive. We don't have a van on the back though. If you use the toll roads, you'll find them very straight, very fast and a good standard of driving. We're going again this year armed with a Kia Sedona and it's free DVD player.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Even if YOU love driving - I don't think the family would thank you for this! it really is too much. Travelling to your 'end point' has got to be seen as part of the holiday. Take 250-300 miles a day, then stop somewhere nice and all of you just enjoy 'being away'. France is vast (very!), and you will pass close by excellent sites in pretty places without deviating off your route hardly at all. If time is aginst you, then I really think you are being a bit over-ambitious; do you need to go to the Costa del Sol if you've only got a fortnight? If I did this run, I'd be horrible when I got there, just about recovering then do it all again...no thanks! think of the poor family (or buy a plane!) Continental caravanning is excellent, and I recommend it to anyone who hasn't yet tried it, but this isn't quite the way to do it - and you're not alone in that...but to my mind it's not much of a holiday if you set yourself this task. For Costa del Sol, take 3 wks if you're going via France, or sail to Santander/Bilbao - this way you'd still need an overnight stop in Spain, but the distance is much more manageable (although Plymouth is a long way for most people in the UK..!!) Whatever you do, wish you the best - and be safe. Richard.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We are going to Spain in August and thought of all those miles with the kid moaning in the back seat, NO THANKS! We paid for the ferry. 2 days relaxing on what is more or less a floating hotel. I no it's not the cheap option, but hay your on holiday! I wish you luck, but 1400Mls in 2 days is pushing it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
you should programme in more stops. Personally I look to drive around the 300 miles mark a day. Children can cause tension which can lead to inattention and accidents.

It is your holiday so relax.

My best wishes

hymerman

Mar 19, 2005
Visit site
Hi, simply not possible towing a caravan unles you alternate drivers. I have travelled to Spain twice, doing a 1,000 miles in two days. I took the 0530 ferry from Dover, where incidently I live so I only had 3 miles to travel to the port. This ferry allows you to have an early start from Calais, which you will need if you don't want to be driving half the night. I used the toll route, Rheims, Dijon, Lyon. I made it to Lyon on day one (approx. 500 miles) by which time I was knackered. It's great when you get there, but four days of your holiday travelling is not normal, I won't be doing it again. Also, don't even attempt to do this trip if you haven't got air conditioning in your car!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We now have 3 and half days to get there and 3 days to get back.

I appreciate all your views and Andrew did you take the full awning with inc ground sheet?

Just looking at off loading some unneccesary gear.

Cheers

Mar 19, 2005
Visit site
Stuart, I did take a full awning, groundsheet etc but didn't actually use it the second time as we were quite shaded under trees. My two teenage sons came with us so we were quite loaded in the car and the caravan, although clothes were mainly shorts and t-shirts which is a luxury that is not enjoyed too often in this country. Good luck, I am sure you will enjoy the overall experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts