Spanish campsites amps

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
My wife and I are busy planning this summer's holiday to Spain. We have a motorhome and I noticed a lot of campsites provide 6 amps to electricity. Try as I might to get my head around the rules on amps I was wondering if 6 amps is pretty average and if it is enough to power the fridge and perhaps one or two fans which, considering we're going in August, will probably be a necessity.

Feb 18, 2004
Visit site
Nathan
The rule is pretty simple in that you multiply amps available to you X voltage so 6amps X 230 volts equals 1380 watts. Every appliance has a max wattage listed somewhere on it but as a general rule of thumb if it has a heating element in it the higher number of watts it uses. Not so sure about Spain but 6amp electric supply is quite common in France. Certainly in warm weather 6 amps is generally fine. It will run the fridge and charge the battery. It will also heat water if you need to and boil a low wattage kettle although not at the same time as the water heater! If you are talking about free standing cooling fans they are usually very low wattage, around 50 watts. I hope all that makes sense!!!

David

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
6 amps is ok long as you don't have many things plugged in at the same time.We try not to use the water heater much or make sure all the others are turned off. You will be fine with the fridge etc. At many sites you can get to the trip switch and so no problem lol. Have fun.

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
As already said.6 amp Ok, JUST do not use say kettle and water heater at the same time. When in Spain , if possible I use the hot water from the washing up taps, if I need it in van.keep a large plastic bottle handy. Depending on what size fan you use, check what ampage is not too big, if it is again beware using too many appliances to-gether. Enjoy your trip, beware it will be Very Hot in Spain in August!

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
To try to avoid blowing the fuse on a campsite we place a label on a string over the kettle when we have the hot water heater on, it helps well most of the time lol. You just get used to only having one or two appliances on the go not half a dozen. :lol:

BGD

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Just to avoid any possible confusion: you don't 'blow a fuse'.

All you'll do if you draw more than thr rated 6 amps is trip the RCD switch.
99 times out of 100 you can just go to the post/wall unit that you've hooked up to and reset the switch (having first turned off some electrical appliances to get your total draw back down below the limit for your circuit).

The 100th time, you have to trudge over to the office to get the man to come and open the box to reset it for you.... it will of course be raining cats and dogs, and the office will be 700 mteres away on this one occasion.

Jun 12, 2008
Visit site
One possible solution to the problem would be to fit a panel ammeter as I have done that gives an accurate reading of the current draw of the van at any one time. As you switch electrical items on, the reading on the ammeter increases in direct proportion to the current requirements of each electrical item. If the ammeter reading approaches the limit of the supply bollard then it's time to switch some items off before switching any other items on! I sourced the ammeter online and got my dealer to fit it as I am not a qualified electrician! The main reason for fitting this upgrade is for touring in France where there is often a 6A limit. I've attached a link to the picture of the fitted ammeter in my van. Hope this is of some help even though it comes a little late as I've only just had a chance to pick up the mag for a read!
2015-04-10%2020.00.21.jpg

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Worth mentioning, Kettle, which takes a lot of power. I would not take a kettle that you would use at home. I have one which is less than 1 Kilowatt, and find that Ok (bought it in France many moons ago. )A travel kettle would be ideal, if you can't get a low K one. If you are thinking of using fans, make sure that they are not over -powered . One thing for sure, there will be plenty of shade on the pitches in Spain in August, and if it gets to hot down south, try northern Spain, it is really beautiful

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts