Spare bulbs?

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
Hi Andrew

I think spare bulbs are a legal requirement in France but even if they weren't, for what they cost it is worth getting them. You may need them one day, even if not for this French trip. It's always worth having them whether it is in UK or overseas.

If Monsieur Plod is having a boring day and he spots a Brit with a light out it may just brighten his day with an on the spot fine.

I think you will find that many of the bulbs in the 'van are the same as for the car so you don't need to duplicate any. If one goes whilst you are away, you can always get the replacement spare from most of the bigger supermarkets in France.

John M.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Andrew

The legal requirement in France is that all exterior car lights must be in a working state all the time.

A police stop for a blown bulb can result in a fine - unless you can rectify the fault there and then - and unless you have a spare for each bulb fitted to your car I can't see how you could avoid a fine...

So a set of spare bulbs is not compulsory, but a very good recommendation...

Robert

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
We always carry spare bulbs - a mixed set - but when one of our bulbs went recently it was impossible to get into the lamp holder to remove the bulb - it had to be a garage job. Apparently lots of modern cars are now like this. I wonder what would happen if a bulb went suddenly, and you were trying to get to a garage to have it changed when you were spotted by the law (and I mean in England as well as France)????!!!

Sep 23, 2006
Visit site
I read somewhere that yes you must carry a complete set of spare bulbs, and also be able to change them.

Trouble is nowadays changing say a headlight bulb isnt always easy. Certain Renault Clios for example have to have the front bumper undone and drawn forwards to gain access to the headlamps, surely your'e not going to do that at the side of the road with the Guandamerie (did I spell that right) breathing down your neck!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
And what are you supposed to do if you have Xenon headlights ? I believe you have to change the whole unit, which are handed, so you should in theory carry over a grand's worth of spares ? Would be interested to hear how our Continental friends cope with this.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
It's probably one of those 'laws' which have been overtaken by technology. It's not that long since you stopped having to carry a bale of hay in a London taxi, for the horse!!!

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Ray,

Xenon HID headlamp bulbs and LED brake light bulbs (for that matter) have a life-expectancy in excess of 10 years continuous use - and are basically exempted from the requirements.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Ray,

Xenon HID headlamp bulbs and LED brake light bulbs (for that matter) have a life-expectancy in excess of 10 years continuous use - and are basically exempted from the requirements.

Robert
Rob - you know that, i know that but does Mr/ Monsieur/ Herr /Senor Plod know that when they are having a quiet night ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts