spare wheel carrier

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
May 7, 2012
Visit site
The front locker was the traditional place for the spare wheel and it helps keep it clean and accessible. The wheel is heavy though, and can make the nose weight too high.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
My current van (Swift) has it's spare wheel in the front locker , and apart from pressure checking has not (fortunately) been out of there. My van is 5 years old now, and I was due to put new tyres on this year, but with corona being 'about' decided to wait 'til we know what/where we're going. It may as well stand on old tyres as new ones! So waiting to see? PS. How long does a none used tyre kept in the dark (mainly) last? As nominally the spare is brand new? PSPS like a 'daft' 'un I let my spare wheel carrier go on my last van, I've usually had to remove and refit on new vans 'til this one, ---- but thinking about it I shan't use a carrier again. -- too much hassle to use!

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveA1
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My current van (Swift) has it's spare wheel in the front locker , and apart from pressure checking has not (fortunately) been out of there. My van is 5 years old now, and I was due to put new tyres on this year, but with corona being 'about' decided to wait 'til we know what/where we're going. It may as well stand on old tyres as new ones! So waiting to see? PS. How long does a none used tyre kept in the dark (mainly) last? As nominally the spare is brand new?
I tend to keep a spare kept away from UV for 6-7 years providing its not been used. Periodically I spray it with Rubber/Vinyl protecterant such as Autoglym or Armorall.

May 2, 2020
Visit site
If your caravan is actually designed to carry the spare wheel in the front locker that's great. However for anyone thinking of moving their spare wheel 'inside' then it's normally recommended to store it as near to the axle as possible due to weight/stability issues.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is the spare wheel on my old Swift Corniche, why designers can't do this now!!View attachment 286
Easy to get nose weight.View attachment 285
I had a Cornice 15/2 in the 90's where the spare was in a small locker in the rear panel of the caravan. Bad principle I know but with careful loading no problem. Some vans later the Burstner had the spare in the front locker as the illustrations above and it was a bit difficult to get the nose weight right, but either solution was far far better than the Alko carrier.

Reactions: DaveA1

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts