Spare Wheel

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
here is the rear view ,
aucar.jpg

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Sproket said:
PaulT said:
I've often wondered why they don't make it so the spare can be removed from the back of the 'van then it wouldn't matter which side of the road you were driving on. I guess it must be to do with the chassis design but I'm sure that problem could be overcome.

One of the problems is the extra weight involved due to the floor not being able to suspend the load so the design would weigh more and then there is the cost, but anyway I have a idea :woohoo: so there could be a modification to mine over winter ;) as it is possible to put the spare wheel in the same area of the van floor as it would be if fitted from the side of the van.
Be careful not to compromise the rear clearance of the caravan, very necessary for ferry ramps and uneven sites.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
........I made myself a spare wheel carrier from metal tubing welded together and fitted just behind the caravan axle underneath the caravan, similar to the way alko do it.
The carrier itself is lighter than the alko design and is held in place by a sturdy padlock.
I can remove the whole assembly in 30 seconds.........refitting takes longer but that does not have to be done in a dangerous situation. I lubricate the padlock several times a year and remove the whole carrier at least once during that time for inspection. It has been on the same caravan for nearly 20 years and thousands of miles but I have never had to remove it due to a puncture or blowout.
I put that down to luck and looking after my caravan tyres ........even to the extent that they are raised off the ground at all times when the caravan is not being used!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts