Spare Wheel

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
We are getting a new van on a Fiat Ducato chassis, the original spec did not include a spare wheel just some kind of re inflation set up. Im not to happy traveling without a spare ,What do you folk think? PS weight should not be an issue as we have gone for the upgraded chassis.

Cheers DC

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
I am on my twelfth camper/motorhome and can honestly say that I have almost never had a puncture that could have been repaired by an inflation kit and a tube of goo. I have had several punctures and blow outs though, never more than on my Autosleeper Amethyst - with three in 12 months. Two of these have been in rural France. One was when the valve blew out - so how would that have worked with a tube of goo? And if it is a blow-out then usually by the time you have stopped the tyre is wrecked anyway. So when I bought my present van, another Fiat Ducato base, I did a deal to get a spare wheel included. There is no way I would drive a vehicle of any description without a spare wheel. Just imagine having to wait for a rescue service to locate, purchase, deliver and fit a new tyre on a motorway hard shoulder in 80 degrees of sweltering heat....or freezing fog! Nope. Just bite the bullet and get a spare. And the sooner manufacturers get back to fitting them as standard, the better for us all.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm with you Dave - but unfortunately sometimes leaving out the spare is the only way for converters to advertise a payload anyone could use!

Jul 28, 2016
Visit site
Which goes back to the point made on my posting about licence medicals....that it is time the DVLA/Government/manufacturers stopped mucking about and put motorhomes and campers into two distinct categories for taxation, licence and weight/tonnages, separate from cars and goods vehicles, i.e. campervans up to four berths, maximum 2 tonnesmgw and motorhomes up to 3.85 tonnes mgw. personally I am not bothered if someone wants to leave their spare at home to allow more "stuff" to be carried (though I can't imagine rescue organisations would be too happy) but just make sure they are fitted in the first place.

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
That would be the ideal solution, but I can't see the Government getting around to it anytime soon, unless there was significant public pressure. And unfortunately the UK public on the whole don't love us. They envy us, but that's not the same thing!
So I feel our pressure is better applied within our industry, for some fresh thinking from converters about materials and construction methods to get weight down and payload up.
But consumers, to, need to think again about what they need, and ask for it. I've lost count of the times I've seen people telling us on various fora that they never use the van's shower, or oven. Sometimes even the loo! So why have those things?

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
The EU harmonised all driving licence requirements in 2006 so I doubt that will be changed soon unless there was pressure from the commercial vehicle manufacturers and users. These people will not be happy if motorhomers, who are not held in as strict a compliance as 'professional' drivers, get further preferential treatment.

Once we come out of the EU, I doubt we will dump the EU driving licence regulations as to do so would create more complications for those motoring abroad - e.g. you would not be allowed to operate above 3500kg in the EU without a C1 licence whatever the UK decides. My understanding is that there was some scope to provide a simpler test for non-professional drivers which would make it easier for motorhomers to get a C1 licence but I know of only one EU country that may have pursued this option.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts