Speed limiters could be launched on UK cars within months under new EU rule

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On our Volvo, the cars onboard cameras read road signs, and the speed limiter can either be set to a certain speed, or react to the road signs. I was dubious about the whole thing, but having tried it properly, its a fantastic system. Strangely it cant be used with the adaptive cruise control, its an either/or in settings.
Maybe time to update your signature? :)

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Our VW displays speed limit on the dashboard screen and the infotainment/sat nav screen. It is set to warn me if I exceed the sensed speed limit. It doesn't actually limit the speed. At times the speed limit signs on the roadside are different to the sensed speed limits, for example where I live the speed limit signs show 30mph, but the car thinks it's 20mph and will warn me if I exceed 20mph.
So, I think the car is sensing speed limits from the sat nav map which erroneously shows school zones at 20mph. Presumably if speed limiter was activated I would be limited to the 20mph speed?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our VW displays speed limit on the dashboard screen and the infotainment/sat nav screen. It is set to warn me if I exceed the sensed speed limit. It doesn't actually limit the speed. At times the speed limit signs on the roadside are different to the sensed speed limits, for example where I live the speed limit signs show 30mph, but the car thinks it's 20mph and will warn me if I exceed 20mph.
So, I think the car is sensing speed limits from the sat nav map which erroneously shows school zones at 20mph. Presumably if speed limiter was activated I would be limited to the 20mph speed?
My Garmin takes limits from the database which is updated every three months. I can switch off certain warnings such as schools 20 mph as it cannot differentiate between a school with a permanent 20 mph or one where the 20 mph is combined with start and finish times plus flashing lights. But I guess if the speed limiters are activated in UK they May not be able to be “ fine tuned” by switching off certain modes. But if the database/ gps is supplemented by a forward vision camera that could recognise the flashing lights and adjust the speed accordingly.

There was a member quite a while back who had a MB with a whole suite of driving safety aids including speed limit recognition cameras and a poor visibility pedestrian recognition system too. The system even then seemed to work well and didn’t brake too suddenly when approaching a speed limit reduction sign.
Just have to wait and see I guess.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Our car does have the speed limiter ability, but you simply set it at what you want. Never tried it, but may just try it to see how it works. Even the best of us can find speed creeping up sometimes.

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
Our car does have the speed limiter ability, but you simply set it at what you want. Never tried it, but may just try it to see how it works. Even the best of us can find speed creeping up sometimes.

Yep. Never tried mine but sincerely hope that should I check it out can quickly override it if necessary (maybe pedal to the floor). You can escape danger by slowing down but also by speeding up.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Yep. Never tried mine but sincerely hope that should I check it out can quickly override it if necessary (maybe pedal to the floor). You can escape danger by slowing down but also by speeding up.
I can override my speed limiter (cruse control) setting by pressing harder on the accelerator pedal. It isn't something you would want to do a lot as the extra force needed soon makes it uncomfortable - that's the way it is designed to be.
Auto speed limiters could work the same way. If someone is determined to break the law then they will, but could not deny they did it deliberately

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It is an erroneous argument to suggest that you can "speed"** out of a situation. You should not have allowed yourself to get into that position to begin with.

There will I'm sure be those who take an opposing view on this, but where in law are you allowed speed**?

(Edit) ** i.e. exceeding the permitted speed limit

Last edited:
Reactions: JezzerB
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
When towing and I overtake a HGV I do speed up slightly to get past them quickly and safely. It is actually taught as part of your police driving training. To exceed the speed limit may be illegal, but you can still speed up to avoid a situation without exceeding the speed limit.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
I wasn't suggesting that you should exceed the speed limit, but simply explaining the characteristics of my car. Other brands may be designed differently.
If auto speed limiting can be deliberately overridden by the driver (having to make a definite conscious effort to do it) they can be prosecuted if detected, and I would propose the penalty increased in such circumstances.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When towing and I overtake a HGV I do speed up slightly to get past them quickly and safely. It is actually taught as part of your police driving training. To exceed the speed limit may be illegal, but you can still speed up to avoid a situation without exceeding the speed limit.
The police are a special case, where provided there is just cause they can exceed speed limits, but they and advanced drivers are taught to prempt and a avoid a situation under normal driving conditions to avoid situation where you might need to break the law.

It is also perfectly correct that provided it is safe to do so, bearing in mind the prevailing conditions and road markings to overtake a vehicle traveling slower than the prescribed speed limit, provided you do not exceed the speed limit.

No normal driver has a rite to exceed speed limits.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
The police are a special case, where provided there is just cause they can exceed speed limits, but they and advanced drivers are taught to prempt and a avoid a situation under normal driving conditions to avoid situation where you might need to break the law.

It is also perfectly correct that provided it is safe to do so, bearing in mind the prevailing conditions and road markings to overtake a vehicle traveling slower than the prescribed speed limit, provided you do not exceed the speed limit.

No normal driver has a rite to exceed speed limits.
You are correct that we were taught to pre-empt a situation developing, but on occasions it is not possible. Luckily that is very rare. Just to be clear I never suggested exceeding the speed limit.

Reactions: Hutch and ProfJohnL
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On the Police Bikesafe rideing course and, The advanced Motorcycle riding course, with the Police Riders, it is " known" to exceed the country speed limit, to be in a safe situation.
I don't know about the advanced car driving course though.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
On my car, and previous ones, the cruise control, when activated , does not have a "push through" feel, the Speed limiter does though and it feel the same as the kick down, on the automatic kick down.
Sureley with, your car you should fully know all of your car controls, even if you don't use them. Otherwise, in the case of an accident , your Insurance company , could state your not capable of being in full control of your vechicle.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
On the Police Bikesafe rideing course and, The advanced Motorcycle riding course, with the Police Riders, it is " known" to exceed the country speed limit, to be in a safe situation.
I don't know about the advanced car driving course though.
Yes. Arguably true but when I did my IAM test in 1982 any breaking of the “rules” was an instant failure

Reactions: Parksy
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Yes. Arguably true but when I did my IAM test in 1982 any breaking of the “rules” was an instant failure
1982, Things have changed.
Maybe soon people will not be able to drive ICE cars, and only automatics, or Electric, as their left hand is holding a cup of Coffee.

Reactions: Dustydog

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Woah!
For a start, speed limiters have not been introduced by the EU or anyone else as far as we know.
Secondly Britain is no longer an EU member, so we have no obligation to obey their directives.
Third, Practical Caravan is neither a law enforcement agency or in any position to prove unfounded accusations.
Any more of this preachy holier than though finger wagging whereby any miss word or unguarded comment is gleefully pounced upon and this thread will be locked.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A pedantic technicality. People aren’t done for ‘speeding’. As lawyers could argue that they were not in fact driving at an unsafe speed for the situation. Instead the tickets say ‘Driving in excess of the speed limit’.

Either way you still get a fine.

I did a speed awayness course about 10 years ago. It was actually very informative. What shocked me most was about 75% of the participants did not know how 30mph limits were identified in built up areas.

This is how the law was introduced in 1935

John

Reactions: Hutch and Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
They were sticklers for correctness. Especially being at the posted speed limit as you came up to the speed limit sign. But not too slow prior to the sign or that wasn’t liked, or any slight increase prior to leaving the speed limit. Still makes me very unpopular on the A429 between Cirencester and the M4 junction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts